Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Would I betray you all and hop in a hummer for the same price? In a heartbeat but that will never happen because of the design of the CT.
If the CT didn’t exist, I would lust after the hummer. But let’s say the CT does exist. Now we get GM to lower the high end Hummer price down to match the trimotor CT price. I would still choose the CT. Mostly because of the exoskeleton. Just the idea that scratches, dents, and door dings are no longer a problem makes me choose the CT. Especially for off roaring. But then there is range. FSD. Better batteries. Faster charging. Armor glass. Larger bed. Tonneau cover. Over the air updates. That’s a few of the other features I really want.

Sure I would like rear steering. And the extra cameras that are on the hummer. But really that’s it. The lighting indicating charge rates are cute but not necessary. The moon landing theme is beautiful but not related to anything I care about in my truck. Oh, and dealerships. I hate dealership

So as long as the CT exists, it blows the hummer out of the water.

But I can see why some like the hummer.
Sponsored

drconner65

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Honda CRV EX
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Machanic
Country flag
I thought this was very interesting so I thought I would share. I see his points, don't agree with them all of course. It's interesting to see what someone who is very successful at car design thinks about something so polarizing though.
I suggest you don't get one and fall behind the times. Your video just some how irritated me. And I don't need any one tiring to change my mind about any thing.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
If the CT didn’t exist, I would lust after the hummer. But let’s say the CT does exist. Now we get GM to lower the high end Hummer price down to match the trimotor CT price. I would still choose the CT. Mostly because of the exoskeleton. Just the idea that scratches, dents, and door dings are no longer a problem makes me choose the CT. Especially for off roaring. But then there is range. FSD. Better batteries. Faster charging. Armor glass. Larger bed. Tonneau cover. Over the air updates. That’s a few of the other features I really want.

Sure I would like rear steering. And the extra cameras that are on the hummer. But really that’s it. The lighting indicating charge rates are cute but not necessary. The moon landing theme is beautiful but not related to anything I care about in my truck. Oh, and dealerships. I hate dealership

So as long as the CT exists, it blows the hummer out of the water.

But I can see why some like the hummer.
OK may be not in a heartbeat. CT definitely has hummer beat on a lot of practical points you mentioned. I just have a thing for that removable roof. It is the impractical side of me.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I suggest you don't get one and fall behind the times. Your video just some how irritated me. And I don't need any one tiring to change my mind about any thing.
Hey, don't take it out on the messenger. I liked that the video was shared, even if I was a bit gripy about the content.

Better to know what they're saying than not, if you ask me. I just wish Stephenson put more thought into his argument... He didn't use any trucks to compare with, he cherry picked renders, he didn't seem to understand the reason for the straight lines.

-Crissa

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I think he brought up some good points. That it took him a year to respond may have come from the stroke he evidently had after the unveiling by the visceral hatred he has for the CT design. It took him a year of therapy to get his speech back to make this video. ?

Honestly, I like the work he has done on the McLaren’s and the eVTOL jet. He brought up some good ideas about the differences between the Buick Electra concept SUV (which will never be made) and the Cybertruck (which is being made and pre-orders like crazy). They are very different segments of the automotive market and different design philosophies. Rival design philosophies are no different in automobiles as the are in architecture. Some hate the Craftsman style, others love Bauhaus, still others decry Modernism. Different strokes for different folks.

He is entitled to his opinion and free to not buy the Cybertruck. No way did he convince me that I should not buy mine. I think we can have both versions of that future. The only difference is that Elon Musk and Tesla are the only one’s who have the balls to bring their version to market while legacy auto cowers behind safe designs that are tweaked every 5 years.

Tesla Cybertruck Car designer Frank Stephenson's view on the Cybertruck 92C22795-CC2E-47A1-B9CC-94215FCE488F

GM doesn’t have the courage to make and market their own concepts!

Tesla Cybertruck Car designer Frank Stephenson's view on the Cybertruck 078CAA01-C793-4A54-964D-0B1ED3B0F087

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
If only auto makers would build out their concept cars. Oh the world would be so much more exciting. I get that small batch auto lines would be way too expensive for us mere mortals. But it would be great to know that those concept cars actually existed, could be driven, and if we got lucky could be something that I might someday get to drive. My relationship with automobiles would be completely different in that case. As a kid I used to dream of the fancy cars I would drive some day. But then I found out that the concepts were all just lies. Ever since then, cars have basically only been a functional tool for me. I really did love my Honda del Sol back in the day. /but that was the only car I ever owned that was a true joy to drive.

Until the CT. Now I am obsessed and giddy with excitement again. Much like when I was a kid. I don't know how many other cars in the future will ever get me this excited but the CT is really the only one so far in my lifetime.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Hey, don't take it out on the messenger. I liked that the video was shared, even if I was a bit gripy about the content.

Better to know what they're saying than not, if you ask me. I just wish Stephenson put more thought into his argument... He didn't use any trucks to compare with, he cherry picked renders, he didn't seem to understand the reason for the straight lines.

-Crissa
It took him a year to get pretty intro and inter-scene graphics. Appearance, after all, is what he is all about.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
GM doesn’t have the courage to make and market their own concepts!
I think it took courage for GM to build EV1 over a decade before Tesla and Volt later. Neither car have much promise of being a profit making machine but they made them anyway. Just sayin...

Last edited:

Revoltlution

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius (CyberSlug)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The CT is today's most agressive balance of function, form, and COST.
These youtube talking heads forget to talk about the value of CT compared to ANY other vehicle, even against the Model3/Y.
... Then, add in FSD and RoboTaxi for the ? on top.

K Doc Brown 007

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Fusion & 2019 Jeep Rubicon
Country flag
I love the CYBRTRK.... the utility, the engineering, and simple minimalist interior. I’ve ordered for those reasons.

However, Frank is pointing out things I’m not looking for. Frank is accurate for the family vehicle, not the ‘my vehicle’. I would be very interested in that Buick for my wife and family..... it is a more ‘beautiful design’. For me to m not looking beautiful, rather utilitarian.... which is the basis for pick up trucks. Pick up trucks are utilitarian, not beautiful.

vehicle type & purpose needs more consideration in this circumstance. Looks like Frank never designed a pick up truck.
Sponsored