Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I doubt they would and hope they don't add a screen behind the steering wheel. If you've ever driven a Model 3 or Y you realize that having the speed on the top left corner of the screen is not an issue. By the same logic, you still have to take your eyes off the road when looking down to see a traditional speedometer. The speed on these center screens is just to the top right of the steering wheel and everybody who's driven my Model 3 gets used to it right away.

Also, for those that say a display will be needed behind the steering wheel for the side view cameras, I'd say that doesn't make sense. First of all, the Cybertruck will have side view mirrors in North America unless the federal government changes the requirements to have one. If the law changes (or Tesla decides to use cameras to replace mirrors for locations like Europe that allow them) then it makes more sense to have two screens mounted on the door right where one would look for the side view mirror. Look at the Audi e-tron or Honda e for examples that make more sense, even though they are mounted slightly lower than the traditional side mirror location. IMO the Lexus ES 300h has a more logical location for the display, but it's not as integrated in the design and might not be as aesthetically pleasing.
LOL... I immediately had a vision of replacing the outside mirror with a video screen... out there where the mirror was!
Sponsored

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
A HUD would not just add costs to each vehicle so equipped - it would require paying a bunch of additional UX engineering talent, too, on an ongoing basis.
I was just thinking a speedometer and other basic stuff on a HUD that would never need to change from a major programming standpoint. Battery level, speed, heading, AP status, etc.

Is the behind the wheel screen even a touch screen in the S and X?

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
I was just thinking a speedometer and other basic stuff on a HUD that would never need to change from a major programming standpoint. Battery level, speed, heading, AP status, etc.

Is the behind the wheel screen even a touch screen in the S and X?
That screen is not a touch screen. I can see the usefulness of a HUD as long as it works in all light and weather conditions.

showmemo

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 M3P, 2000 M Roadster, XC 40, TriMotor CT
Occupation
IT
Country flag
What if Tesla provided a connection on the monitor for an aftermarket HUD? That way, those who want it can add it.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
What if Tesla provided a connection on the monitor for an aftermarket HUD? That way, those who want it can add it.
I would love to see both an input and an output...

Output from my phone or tablet to the screen... obviously when parked.

bukkakeaisu

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
J120 LandCruiser Prado
Country flag
Also, for those that say a display will be needed behind the steering wheel for the side view cameras, I'd say that doesn't make sense. First of all, the Cybertruck will have side view mirrors in North America unless the federal government changes the requirements to have one. If the law changes (or Tesla decides to use cameras to replace mirrors for locations like Europe that allow them) then it makes more sense to have two screens mounted on the door right where one would look for the side view mirror. Look at the Audi e-tron or Honda e for examples that make more sense, even though they are mounted slightly lower than the traditional side mirror location. IMO the Lexus ES 300h has a more logical location for the display, but it's not as integrated in the design and might not be as aesthetically pleasing.
So no side mirrors seems possible: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-camera-based-systems-in-autos-idUSKCN1VH2G9

My guess is we're getting HUD (the Cybertruck in that game demo has it) but more importantly, I am not sure I see them adding 2 sub screens to the A-pillars and cluttering it up but a possible compromise could be alternative placement in front of the yoke -or- expanding the rear view monitor across the entire top of the windshield. Either way, I think something neat is in the works.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
One thing I dislike about the Cybertruck UI is the speedometer. I don't like that when you're between two numbers it rapidly goes back and forth between the numbers.

Look at the video below from 1:14-1:30 to see what I mean:

Woah!!

Just saw the screenshot of that video and couldn't figure out why someone had put sheepskin cover over the front passenger side tire. LOL.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
True, I missed that. It would be interesting if it is a compass, if it is at that precision, I hope I don't have to calibrate it like my iPhone.
Who knows what the 24 in the top right is, but I'm almost certain that the 68 is the internal temp. Looks just like that with current Teslas also.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Who knows what the 24 in the top right is, but I'm almost certain that the 68 is the internal temp. Looks just like that with current Teslas also.
So internal temp is 68 f, could also be outside temp because that is exactly the outside temp. Could 24 be current height adjustment?
It sure looks like a degree symbol but why report in Celsius.... could be " inches. Its at 22 in this shot from the movie.

Tesla Cybertruck Clear look at Cybertruck touchscreen display UI showing functions and features Screenshot_20210726-092430_Samsung Internet

Last edited:

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
So no side mirrors seems possible: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-camera-based-systems-in-autos-idUSKCN1VH2G9

My guess is we're getting HUD (the Cybertruck in that game demo has it) but more importantly, I am not sure I see them adding 2 sub screens to the A-pillars and cluttering it up but a possible compromise could be alternative placement in front of the yoke -or- expanding the rear view monitor across the entire top of the windshield. Either way, I think something neat is in the works.
I think you're bang on with the a pillar screens, but even ol Musky has said he doesn't like HUDs. I rented a van once that has side facing cameras displayed on the center screen and after a short while I found myself not even using the mirrors, so it may even be that simple.

Depending on what iteration of the truck we finally see, it may even have something stranger.
Sponsored