First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Ridgeline. 2002 Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Think of U S auto manufacturers as U S motorcycle manufacturers . I remember if you rode anything but a Harley people made fun of you. EV drivers will be made fun of for a while especially the truck guys . But Elon MUST stay diligent and make the best vehicle in the world .

cybertrucktruckguy

First Name
Todd
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Tundra Limited, 2016 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Yes...and No.

The Cybertruck itself isn't going to bankrupt Ford BUT a convergence of disruptive forces in personal transportation combined with too much debt and some serious legacy pension and healthcare obligations could. If the Cybertruck and some of the other EV SUV and Truck alternatives start to eat into the best part of their high volume, high profit Truck and SUV market, it could create a bit of a death spiral that eventually forces them into bankruptcy re-organization. We're also seeing a slowing in global auto sales in general as a result of increasing urbanization and decreasing family formation trends. CONVERGENCE.

There is a difference between Bankruptcy and closing your doors. GM went through Bankruptcy 10 years ago and...still here.

I don't think Ford as brand or manufacturer is going away anytime soon due to it's strong brands and it's place in the American economy. Think 'Too big to fail' kind of status. They will get a lot of federal and state support to keep their doors open. That said, it may need a financial 'time out' in order to reset itself to retool for the EV future. I also think that if it were to go through the bankruptcy process in order to reset itself, it would become a very appealing takeover or partner target for some of the other high tech companies that keep sniffing around vehicles and transport like Apple, Google, Amazon or Uber. Such a marriage might be able to help reset the culture to compete better in the age of Tech. The Chinese gaming company TenCent owns a large chunk of Tesla, partly because they see vehicles as the next, biggest smart device. This next revolution in autos will be about much more than electrification.

Given their heavy investment in Rivian, I think Ford sees the writing on the wall. They just need to figure out how they navigate from here to there.

Kim Best

First Name
Kim
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
CLICK BAIT. Ford still has way more die hard fans. I am not one of them But i know people who utterly refuse to by anything else no matter how reliable they really are. They are convinced nothing could possibly be better.
Well they’re gonna find out pretty soon eh? Maybe the decision will be made for them.. when Ford goes broke!

lukefrisbee

First Name
luke
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
If Ford goes bankrupt one of the straws on the Camel's back will be the Cyber. It will influence Ford's numbers, in the pick-up, SUV, and Van sales figures. The Cyber ain't (just) a truck.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Ford Employs around 100,000 people in the US alone.. do we REALLY want them to fail? NO, we want them to change.