Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
The Rear Wheel Steering will increase load capacity, not lower it. Being able to do not just torque vectoring but vectoring vectoring will keep a heavy load steadier than the additional rubber to the road would.

-Crissa
Hope the increase in load capacity will enough to carry a Lance 1172 truck camper so I don't have to convert mine into dually.:love:

Any update on Elon's application to have CT classed as MD and HD?
Sponsored

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
I'm inclined to believe it'll be an option. I can't see Elon developing all this stuff, then just keeping the same price tag, especially with all the hyper-inflation we've seen the past year or so. If it's an option, count me out. I don't need it. But free? OK.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mini2nut

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I’m with you. I will not be clicking the “Rear Wheel Steering” option box when I receive the Tesla e-mail to configure my Cybertruck.

RWS was not mentioned during the unveiling In November of 2019. At the reasonable $40k, $50k and $70k estimated MSRP this feature HAS to be optional.

Tesla Cybertruck Will RWS be standard or optional? FA86110E-7381-49FD-8422-F5C6CE4041CC

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'm inclined to believe it'll be an option.
The way Musk worded it, it did not sound like an option. Keep in mind Teslas likes to mass produce things to keep costs down by standardizing. Having separate rear assemblies is a pretty big deal. It would also affect the way Autopilot and FSD work.

I suspect to keep their production simple it will be standard.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Honestly, if it is an option I'm going to consider paying for it. Maybe not if it's $7K or something, but for $2-3K I may well check that box.

I drive a Golf R most of the time, largest thing I've driven for an extended period is a mini-van. I once drove some GM (I think) truck back around 2000, no idea what it was. It was my friend's truck (he worked for Dewalt) and he was drunk, so I drove him home in that monstrosity.

I think I'll need all the help I can get. I've been having second thoughts lately, I'm a hot hatch guy, do I really want to drive around in an F150 sized cargo ship on wheels?!?! Then I think about it how awesome it is and I climb back on the bandwagon. :p

ctcyber

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 RAM 1500, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The way Musk worded it, it did not sound like an option. Keep in mind Teslas likes to mass produce things to keep costs down by standardizing. Having separate rear assemblies is a pretty big deal. It would also affect the way Autopilot and FSD work.

I suspect to keep their production simple it will be standard.
I agree with this. By making all vehicles the except for battery and motors it makes for a very efficient assembly line. Every vehicle that comes by gets all these parts, no need to stock several variants of anything

1ofafew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor
Country flag
Elon Tweeted last month "We’re adding rear wheel steering, so it can do tight turns & maneuver with high agility."

During July's announcement that the Cybertruck will have desirable RWS it wasn't made clear if it was standard or optional feature.

What do you think? If it's an option, how much? Do you plan on checking the option box if it's not standard?
Hate to be paranoid but if we talk about it being an option, it will be easier to determine that everyone expects it to be an option, so…..Go ahead and make it an option! Of course I want it to be standard for all levels of the CT.

webroady

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Toyota Scion xB, 2009 F250
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I agree with this. By making all vehicles the except for battery and motors it makes for a very efficient assembly line. Every vehicle that comes by gets all these parts, no need to stock several variants of anything
Could this be something else that gets put into all CTs but only unlocked via OTA software update if you pay for it?

If they're going to a single front/mid/rear casting, how does that play out. Would a different rear casting be required for RWS?

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Could this be something else that gets put into all CTs but only unlocked via OTA software update if you pay for it?

If they're going to a single front/mid/rear casting, how does that play out. Would a different rear casting be required for RWS?
For sure RWS needs more room in the wheel wells.

So you use have several choices

1. RWS & non-RWS use same casting. This means non-RWS will have different suspension components & non-RWS wheel wells will have extra space and that might cause more aerodynamic drag than a closer fitted casting. More variety at vechicle final assembly workflow.

2. RWS & non-RWS use different castings. This means non-RWS will have different suspension components & non-RWS wheel wells will have closer fit that might reduce aerodynamic drag.
More complexity on assembly line than if RWS standard. More variety at vechicle final assembly workflow.

3. RWS standard. All castings & rear suspension are the same. Rear suspension can be pre-packaged offline and entire pre-packaged rear suspension just bolted on in final assembly workflow. Cost of RWS might get extra economy of scale cost savings by using many of the same components as front suspension.

Last edited:

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I’m thinking RWS will be standard, but just want to throw this out as a kind of thought experiment…

The CT will have two castings, a front and a rear casting. At least one of those castings needs to support steerable wheels. Tesla makes two castings, one that supports steerable wheels and one with non-steerable wheels. If you order with RWS you get a CT with both castings being the one that supports steerable wheels. If you don’t order RWS you get one of each.

Thoughts?

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Rear wheel steering, $10,000 to remove a locking pin. ?

Tesla should give a free upgrade to the next trim level for the first 250,000 reservations for the production delay.

My gut, with no in the know knowledge, guesses RWS will be standard.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
That's how a maker can offer more value for less money.

I wouldn't rule out Tesla putting RWS only on the Tri-motor or only on the dual and Tri-motor. But, I agree, it's unlikely to be a paid option for the reason you mention.

boomer45

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5 / Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Elon Tweeted last month "We’re adding rear wheel steering, so it can do tight turns & maneuver with high agility."

During July's announcement that the Cybertruck will have desirable RWS it wasn't made clear if it was standard or optional feature.

What do you think? If it's an option, how much? Do you plan on checking the option box if it's not standard?
It definitely must be standard. CT is to large to maneuver

It needs to be standard. The CT is too large to maneuver without out it. Parking, U turns, etc
Sponsored