JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
the vault cover will have bump stop sensors either way. has to, for cargo and finger-in-the-tailgate reasons, etc.

that wouldn’t be a reason for not having midgate or rear window access

Reasons would instead be in the bucket of cost-benefit

eg if the rear window is only 10” tall, 1/3 obstructed by headrests, has a vault cover behind it, etc., then the utility of a roll-down window starts to diminish, while the cost and complexity of the truck remains a countervailing consideration.

arguably in that same bucket are eg the tailgate ramp and on board air. They both add cost and weight to every unit made, for features that will be rarely if ever used by many owners, all while aftermarket (or Tesla accessory) solutions are available and cost-effective for those that *need* the functions

back to the rear window rolling down: the *onoy* real utility I could see in it, would be the prospect of possibly sharing HVAC with the vault. But the reality is, that sort of passive conditioning would be pretty damn ineffective. If you’ve ever sat in the back seat of a lower trim crew cab that has only HVAC vents on the dash, you learn that such passive conditioning is poor. Now try it with a 10” window, attempting to passively condition a ~60cuft+ vault.

just speculation of course, and not intended to be conclusive that the rear window *doesnt* roll down - intended only to say there seem plenty of available rationales as to why Tesla may have thought better of it.
In saying that though I don't think the air compressor is in the same league of extra cost as the midgate or ramp. The air suspension will need one, so might as well make it and the reservoir big enough to use for the tyres as well. You can get pretty decent 500W 12V dual cylinder compressors for cars nowadays. A lot of the workshop ones are doing multi-stage and motor oilers compressors. I'm hoping the Tesla one is custom.
Sponsored

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
In saying that though I don't think the air compressor is in the same league of extra cost as the midgate or ramp. The air suspension will need one, so might as well make it and the reservoir big enough to use for the tyres as well. You can get pretty decent 500W 12V dual cylinder compressors for cars nowadays. A lot of the workshop ones are doing multi-stage and motor oilers compressors. I'm hoping the Tesla one is custom.
agree it’s lower hanging fruit of those, and the one I’ll be least surprised to see

Only saying I also won’t be too surprised to *not* see it, if only from the cost-benefit-alternative perspective

there are just so many good, non-permanent, alternatives out there. Including one that can be offered by Teslas accessory team.

compare that to the parts, time, and cost of integrating across every CT units sold, and…