Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
That seems certain at this point and is why I am quite puzzled as to why only 83.3% of respondents to a recent poll here think Rivian will make it to market at all.
That being ssid.... we are talking about GM involvement with Rivian so that might cause them to not get to market first. GM isn't exactly a fast moving or forward thinking entity.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The better question is why she isn't comfortable with them?
She has no idea what any of the navigation displays mean. She doesn't know what a watt hour is or what the significance or 400 wh/mi vs 300 is. etc. She's terrified of the auto pilot (as she should be). We suspect that some of her discomfort may stem from the constant stream of technobabble emerging from the mouth of the usual driver much of which is incomprehensible ("Oooh - look. Regen is absorbing 50 kW!).

How can an EV be dumbed down?
That's the question. They will have to replace all the "gauges" with idiot lights so that the detailed information the cars now give us on what's going on is somehow obscured. The analogy that comes to mind is iTunes. You used to be able to see where your music files were, move them about, copy them, read them etc. Somehow Apple has managed to hide all that so you no longer have much, if any control. But I guess the public is happier with that.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
That being ssid.... we are talking about GM involvement with Rivian so that might cause them to not get to market first. GM isn't exactly a fast moving or forward thinking entity.
Did I miss something? I thought Rivian had rejected GM's offer on the basis that GM wanted too much.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Did I miss something? I thought Rivian had rejected GM's offer on the basis that GM wanted too much.
Yeah i'm pretty sure its FORD involved with Rivian.. not GM.

Cebliminal

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R/T Durango, Harley Davidsons, Toyota Tundra 4x4 put deposit down for Cybertruck
Occupation
Executive Chef/Food & Beverage Director
Country flag
I think it will boil down to who can produce their pickup first and who has the fastest production they are all spec wise not so far apart

Cebliminal

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R/T Durango, Harley Davidsons, Toyota Tundra 4x4 put deposit down for Cybertruck
Occupation
Executive Chef/Food & Beverage Director
Country flag
Who will "Win" the race? Probably Rivian.. Who will dominate? Tesla.
I don’t see Tesla dominating their production is to slow but maybe 10 years from now

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The better question is why she isn't comfortable with them? How can an EV be dumbed down?
Probably the confusing power sources. That's said to be the number one reason people choose Tesla - their power solution is simple and you don't have to think about it.

The difference between charging level 1, fast charging, and even among the dc chargers is quite vast. And modern cars do all of these. And each one is different. How much time do you have to spend thinking about charging?

Well, very little if you have a Tesla.

But people don't think about fuel much, either - because there are already massive signs for fuel-selling establishments. The idea of asking your car or phone where dc charging infrastructure is seems complex to them, even if it's no different than using Gas Buddy.

-Crissa

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
AJ

You didn't miss anything. GM went to Rivian and was trying to be the Alpha and was wanting exclusive rights. Ford came in and was wanting a partnership, The rumor was that Ford was going to put a Lincoln SUV body on the Rivian skate board but since than has cancelled those plans. I am assuming it wasn't in the budget.

I wonder what is the priority at Rivian is, releasing the R1T and R1S or the Amazon vans. I have been thinking lately it is the latter

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I listened to a pdocast yesterday with RJ. He mentioned the three threads (R1T, R1S, Amazon van) several times being pretty careful to say or imply in each that the three were of equal priority, all proceeding simultaneously and that this was quite a burdern. When asked about the Ford project he again mentioned the three ongoing projects and suggested that a fourth would simply have been too much.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
There is no question that electric vehicles are the future but I think its going to be a while before the public accepts them (1.5% penetration in the US after 10(?) years). I think they are going to have to be "dumbed down" quite a bit more before someone like my SO will be comfortable with them.
Aren't EV simpler than ICE. Back in 1900-1920 EVs were marketed directly for women.

Maybe the problem is
1. The large car makers never advertise EVs like they did/do advertise their ICE cars
2. Most people are used to more complex routines of ICE cars.
Simpler is still different than what they are used to.
3. Most people have trouble even imaging them self in new situations
charging at home or office is easier but they can not imagine that

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Aren't EV simpler than ICE.
No indeed. They are several orders of magnitude more complicated. The chips in the ecu (and I believe there are 2 of them) have over 10 billion transistors in them. ICE cars motors are not controlled by Clark Transforms, Park Transforms and Space Vector Control.

Back in 1900-1920 EVs were marketed directly for women.
True but that was because the ladies were relieved of the task of starting with a crank and possibly getting grease or oil on their nice white gloves

97trophy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Country flag
What is in question to my way of thinking is acceptance of electric trucks. There is no question that electric vehicles are the future but I think its going to be a while before the public accepts them (1.5% penetration in the US after 10(?) years). I think they are going to have to be "dumbed down" quite a bit more before someone like my SO will be comfortable with them.
The S Curve will kick in at some point and there will be a rapid uptake in EV use. This will be a combination of technological advances and regulation.

The only question is the slope of the S curve.

My guess is that the CT will change everything
Sponsored