steezymcfresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD
Country flag
That’s a tight fit on his garage! I’ll bet a lot if our garages will be the same.
Sponsored

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Another factor here is that the 1kW (!) windscreen wiper motor will also reduce range by about 2-3miles when it rains.
I take it you missed the retraction on the wiper. Tesla clarified that it was 100-150w. Franzy was a touch off in the interview.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I take it you missed the retraction on the wiper. Tesla clarified that it was 100-150w. Franzy was a touch off in the interview.
What retraction do you mean? It just parks in the vertical to improve airflow and rounds off that A pillar geometry.

But in operation at full horizontal extension, at that wiper length, it needs to be fairly beefy to resist the force and wipe down against the incoming airflow and rain. It might do some regen on the way up, but needs a bit of power on the way down. 1kW sounds excessive, but it depends on gearing and force required at the end of the wiper at speed. And from memory it was Lars that said it, and then corrected it to 800W. Do you have a link to anything else?

I'm also glad they highlighted all the issues they had around the vertical stow position, and that in operation it stops horizontally and not vertically between wipes so the the water can be removed off the windscreen better with the up stroke. In a conventional vehicle the water is wiped down and into the crease where it runs off and away, the CT doesn't have this, and the water just runs back up the windscreen instead as the wiper goes up.

I honestly still think the wiper is one of least innovative parts of the CT design overall, and snow and dirt from off-roading will be an ongoing issue. It should have been a vertical wiper that runs linear across the windscreen. That would of been a full area wipe in one hit, will have a lower profile, will also not turn horizontally into the wind and create turbulent flow over the windscreen whilst in use and when parked horizontally, because it can't hide behind the hood. And if you offset the wiper angle, it would borderline propel itself across the windscreen with little to no aerodynamic effect.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
In the Jay Leno video Lars states just under 1kW and then follows up right after with 600-800W.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
What retraction do you mean? It just parks in the vertical to improve airflow and rounds off that A pillar geometry.

But in operation at full horizontal extension, at that wiper length, it needs to be fairly beefy to resist the force and wipe down against the incoming airflow and rain. It might do some regen on the way up, but needs a bit of power on the way down. 1kW sounds excessive, but it depends on gearing and force required at the end of the wiper at speed. And from memory it was Lars that said it, and then corrected it to 800W. Do you have a link to anything else?
In the Jay Leno video Lars states just under 1kW and then follows up right after with 600-800W.
I'll try and find a link. It was probably Lars, and not Franz. But there was a post or comment that even the 600W was way off and it was something like 150w.

I think there are SOME new ideas in the BAW. The fluid distribution is different, and the concept of a BAW without all the linkage that MB used for a single wiper is novel. But, when you compare it to the rest of the truck, I agree, it ain't rocket surgery.

Kahpernicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag
I'll try and find a link. It was probably Lars, and not Franz. But there was a post or comment that even the 600W was way off and it was something like 150w.

I think there are SOME new ideas in the BAW. The fluid distribution is different, and the concept of a BAW without all the linkage that MB used for a single wiper is novel. But, when you compare it to the rest of the truck, I agree, it ain't rocket surgery.

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
That is quite nice.

(do one in Federal Standard 34350 Forest Service Green and cruise through National Parks to really mess with people :cool: )

Smokehouse Brown

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Willis
Occupation
Rocket Surgeon
Country flag
Is it my understanding that wraps only last up to 5 years? If that's the case. A good painting would be in order.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Right. Sounds much better.

But 120W is only 10A on 12V so the cable won't be "huge" by any means. Same power draw as any set of halogen headlights, so same cable size as that and easy done.

If that is the case though, please disregard my remarks on how much power the windscreen motor itself uses, but my other comments regarding range loss whilst in use from aero impact etc, remain the same.
Sponsored