Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Good Morning.

Fantastic Youtuber !!

That's It, I am getting Quad. No Quadstions about it !!!

Pause to catch your breath, drink a glass of water. Sit down, turn down the lights, pour yourself a nice red... . And Press Play.

Cybertruck Diamond Steering 💎💎 Cybertruck's EXTREME Technology and Features Unveiled!

Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Sums up a lot of speculation about Cybertruck technology quite well.

Notably missing:

• FSD HW4 with higher resolution cameras, faster CPU for FSD
  • 48v bar bus replacing the wiring bundles in most cars. In fact the 12v system may be gone entirely.
  • Digital mirrors possibly redundant with the outdoors ones.
Curiously, the video has some shots I hadn’t seen before, which shows digital mirrors. I like the positioning. Perhaps this is a render? Weirdly it has the marbled dash and car keys in the “Ignition”.
Tesla Cybertruck 'Connecting The Dots' Releases worlds best Cybertruck Youtube Video 1660961190396

Tesla Cybertruck 'Connecting The Dots' Releases worlds best Cybertruck Youtube Video 1660961306254

The dash in this photo/ render is so low it looks super weird and uncomfortable. Which makes me think these are fake.

Regardless, the digital mirror placement gets a thumbs up from me. I was thinking they would be on the pillar but like this a lot better.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
At 8:15 you can see the frunk open. Is that real? I haven't seen this footage before.
That is someone’s home-made Cybertruck I think.

This does not look like an actual Cybertruck. The stack of 2x4s holding the front end up are a give-away.

Tesla Cybertruck 'Connecting The Dots' Releases worlds best Cybertruck Youtube Video 1660968661123

Tesla Cybertruck 'Connecting The Dots' Releases worlds best Cybertruck Youtube Video 1660968506706

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
One thing which is a bit counter-intuitive about a lot of this Is this is likely to save Tesla money.

Most of the upgrades he’s talking about will actually save vehicle weight and improve reliability. They are talking about removing 2 complete hydraulic systems. That’s 2 master cylinders, 2 hydraulic pumps, and 40+ feet of hydraulic hosing. Replaced with much lighter wired setup which will likely be run through the same bus system the lighting, locks, and door releases operate on. Maybe... 50-100 pounds lighter, lots of parts shaved.

Equally important, installing brake lines and wiring harnesses is the sort of fiddly system which is usually done by humans. The bus bar system Tesla is likely to use with the Cybertruck will likely be done by a robot.

In other words… most of this is designed to make Cybertruck assembly more closely resemble a machine gun that fires trucks out the front end. Yes, the new technology is likely to be more expensive at first, but by the time they’ve rolled the 1 millionth truck off the line, prices will likely be in line with old school bits and the huge benefits which come from the new technology will be retained.

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
One thing which is a bit counter-intuitive about a lot of this Is this is likely to save Tesla money.

Most of the upgrades he’s talking about will actually save vehicle weight and improve reliability. They are talking about removing 2 complete hydraulic systems. That’s 2 master cylinders, 2 hydraulic pumps, and 40+ feet of hydraulic hosing. Replaced with much lighter wired setup which will likely be run through the same bus system the lighting, locks, and door releases operate on. Maybe... 50-100 pounds lighter, lots of parts shaved.

Equally important, installing brake lines and wiring harnesses is the sort of fiddly system which is usually done by humans. The bus bar system Tesla is likely to use with the Cybertruck will likely be done by a robot.

In other words… most of this is designed to make Cybertruck assembly more closely resemble a machine gun that fires trucks out the front end. Yes, the new technology is likely to be more expensive at first, but by the time they’ve rolled the 1 millionth truck off the line, prices will likely be in line with old school bits and the huge benefits which come from the new technology will be retained.
My thoughts exactly. It will be interesting to see the new prices, especially if they are able to put in cool stuff that makes it cheaper.

I wonder how difficult it will be for other OEMs to get rid of the hydraulic lines in the same way (measured in years probably).

OP
OP
charliemagpie

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Perhaps making a quad is cheaper than making a tri.

4 identical assemblies slotted straight into the wheel arches and bolted in.

The wire is clicked into place. TY human

But will 'he' profit take, or will 'he' pass on the savings.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Perhaps making a quad is cheaper than making a tri.

4 identical assemblies slotted straight into the wheel arches and bolted in.

The wire is clicked into place. TY human

But will 'he' profit take, or will 'he' pass on the savings.
At least you didn’t say “all you have to do”!

Quad hub motors are a simplification, abstraction. Dual motor drive units alluded in the scuttlebutt for Cybertruck eliminate the open differential. Kinda maybe like Lucid‘s drive unit:
Tesla Cybertruck 'Connecting The Dots' Releases worlds best Cybertruck Youtube Video 58B30BD7-6D2C-41A9-8B99-A56461C5C6CF

Small drive unit compared to the old diff-style. It’s a rewrite for the motor controller adding torque vectoring, split out regen by wheel and remap all the old acceleration curves.
Under-the-hood, it’s a heavy lift switching over from the diff-style to quad motor. Mixed application combining a single motor diff up-front and dual drive unit out back sounds straight forward. But complications in braking, regen and matching acceleration curves could be more trouble than its worth.
Tesla might go forward not mix and matching. They could keep both drive units for sub-models CT1, 2, 3… Personally, Tri-motor geared differential made so much sense, I still prefer simple, old school geared differential drive units.
At the same time, its exciting to see that there’s better, lighter drive motor units for those that want them. Tesla simply hasn’t made the case that I can’t afford to not use the Quad drive.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Really cool video. I view the Cybertruck as essentially "Gen 3" of Tesla products, and I've thought about making a thread here several times discussing the advances the CT will make that aren't entirely related to it being a stainless steal truck. 12 cameras instead of 8. Heated and cooled seats. Next-gen stereo system. Next-gen hardware. Drive by wire. Front and rear castings. I think the CT will push limits beyond it's market segment, and I think it's fun seeing some of these things discussed here.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Cybertruck was the first product I’d ever seen designed for what is to come after ICE. Agreed it’s not another Tesla EV for EV’s sake but much more utility, durability and an appearance of sustainable(Blast glass, armor s.s., 16” clearance and AWD). No one had contemplated the “next thing” that was needed. Dystopian as it looks, its functions, abilities and missing ingredient “value” hit an inflection point in buyers pocket.
Elon Musk has regretted Cybertruck “value” stake and the gauntlet he laid down on FORD. Clearly, Rivian four motors took his pinnacle away and immediately Tesla introduced Quad Cybertruck- cancelling prior Cybertruck reservation holders planned production and delivery.
But it will be “one” damn fine truck.
If you can afford it.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Heated and cooled seats. Next-gen stereo system.
There has been no mention of cooled seats. Believe me, I will be ecstatic if it is the case, but I have not seen mention of it anywhere official. Or a next-gen stereo system not already in use on other models.

If you have seen mention of it please share.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There has been no mention of cooled seats. Believe me, I will be ecstatic if it is the case, but I have not seen mention of it anywhere official. Or a next-gen stereo system not already in use on other models.

While I can't find a Twitter remark, the option has returned to the 3/Y software although the hardware is yet to be seen.
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-model-y-cooled-seats-owners-manual/

There's also been some patents.
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-efficiency-ventilated-seats-patent/

-Crissa

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag

They've both been confirmed I believe it was by Elon in an interview... maybe with Rogen? He said it would have cooled front seats. This was before the new S/X were revealed with the cooled seats. And he specifically said the stereo would be insane, with dual subs one under each front seat.
Sponsored