Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Ops
Country flag
why have ... two? don't pay for twice the insurance or pay for a second vehicle.
I bought a second vehicle, high mpg ICE and parked my pick up - found the cost of the additional vehicle offset any fuel savings. Sold the little car and do it all with the truck. BTW little car terrified me at night when deer showed up from the ditch, truck sits just high enough Bambie and friends wont share the seat with me.
Sponsored

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTORĀ®
Country flag
Canā€™t speak for everyone here, but there are 2 of us and we often need to be different places so weā€™ll have 2 vehicles regardless.
I agree. But you're talking about 1 vehicle per person in your house. I don't think that was the OPs intent of his post. He's saying just use the CT for the things a smaller vehicle can't do, and get a smaller vehicle for the the commuting, grocery getting, etc. As a house, we have 3 vehicles among my wife, daughter and myself for the same reasons you mentioned. But by his rational we'd need a 4th or arguably a 5th (to augment my wife's Explorer) just so we could be more environmentally friendly or economical. I'm just not sure the argument would end up being true. Buying another vehicle or two seems wasteful due to the resources and energy used to make vehicles 4/5. I'm especially not convinced on the economic part.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'm especially not convinced on the economic part.
We have 3 vehicles right now so itā€™s hard for me to say. The truck gets used pretty rarely (Iā€™m actually selling it), but I know a fair number of people who do that kind of thing long term. If the car is particularly affordable, it could make sense. Iā€™ve been eyeballing one of these for in town driving. Itā€™s only $17k and it would reduce wear and tear on the truck.

Tesla Cybertruck CT Companion vehicle - model 2, Aptera or other 1628198573532

If my wife were onboard with it, Iā€™d probably just sell the Model Y when we get the Cybertruck and buy one of these, but Iā€™m pretty sure sheā€™s not excited about the idea.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
My daughters need a car so they'll get to drive the Prius and I'll get the CT. Could my wife and I share the model 3? Maybe, probably, annoying at some times, all yes. The CT is being purchased because it will enable things that my model 3 can't do.

All that Aptera / Arcimoto / highly efficient squishy box things are great for the environment. I did my motorcycle days and I've bonked/been bonked enough times to say no for life to those kinds of vehicles. If someone else wants to, have at it, just not for me and my family.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTORĀ®
Country flag
We have 3 vehicles right now so itā€™s hard for me to say. The truck gets used pretty rarely (Iā€™m actually selling it), but I know a fair number of people who do that kind of thing long term. If the car is particularly affordable, it could make sense. Iā€™ve been eyeballing one of these for in town driving. Itā€™s only $17k and it would reduce wear and tear on the truck.

1628198573532.png

If my wife were onboard with it, Iā€™d probably just sell the Model Y when we get the Cybertruck and buy one of these, but Iā€™m pretty sure sheā€™s not excited about the idea.
No. Not ever. Hard pass. 0 stars given. And it's barely about economics or environment...it just cramps my style. Like waiting for your dog to finish taking a $#!% in someone else's yard. There are just somethings you cannot look cool while doing...or driving.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
They are not squishy. The Aptera will be one of the strongest 'boxes' on the market. Certainly for its size.
Plus itā€™s like rolling art.

I must confessā€¦ I kind of prefer the Aptera, but Arcimotoā€˜s factory is here in Eugene, plus they are more affordable.

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
My daughters need a car so they'll get to drive the Prius and I'll get the CT. Could my wife and I share the model 3? Maybe, probably, annoying at some times, all yes. The CT is being purchased because it will enable things that my model 3 can't do.

All that Aptera / Arcimoto / highly efficient squishy box things are great for the environment. I did my motorcycle days and I've bonked/been bonked enough times to say no for life to those kinds of vehicles. If someone else wants to, have at it, just not for me and my family.
I think the Prius is gonna have to be included in the squishy box thing category if the Aptera is ?. It would definitely be annoying having fewer vehicles than drivers in the house. Wouldnā€™t work for me either.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
They are not squishy. The Aptera will be one of the strongest 'boxes' on the market. Certainly for its size.

-Crissa
Fair enough.

Aptera's site says, "Aptera features a level of passenger safety beyond just about any other vehicle on the road todayā€”with a Formula-1 inspired safety cell, advanced airbag technology, and energy-absorbing composite material made of steel and aluminum.". I am sure the engineers know what they are doing. I'm still going to go along with my belief that "light, safe, and affordable - pick two". After there's a safety rating on this or any of these I'll change my mind.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
I think the Prius is gonna have to be included in the squishy box thing category if the Aptera is ?. It would definitely be annoying having fewer vehicles than drivers in the house. Wouldnā€™t work for me either.
Maybe... My older one wants to buy a van. My younger one wants a Jeep. There's so much wrong with raising teenagers.

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Maybe... My older one wants to buy a van. My younger one wants a Jeep. There's so much wrong with raising teenagers.
How about the cyber quad, make it street legal and thereā€™s your second vehicle for popping into town or workplace, shouldnā€™t cost the Earth to recharage.

Wendell

First Name
Wendell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leaf, 97 GMC truck
Country flag
Actually -- a Cybertruck and an Aptera is what I have on order.

I'm about #8,000 in line for the cybertruck, and about #12,000 in line for the aptera.

I will be happy to replace the 25 year old GMC truck that I'm constantly repairing, and also replace my Leaf that currently has over 100,000 miles.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The Arcimoto is more meant as a city car where there shouldnā€˜t be high speed collisions Itā€™s also much taller/ bigger and more visible than a motorcycle. I certainly wouldnā€™t hesitate to ride it the ~7 miles of in town driving into work and back. Iā€™m not likely to spent much time driving it on the highway though.

The Aptera is in a weird place for me though, while the range is amazing, I want to be 1000 miles away *with my bikes*. The Aptera just doesnā€™t really scratch that itch.

TexasTesla

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Dang it, Iā€™ve been outed lol.
Like me, Iā€™m sure youā€™re not concerned with otherā€™s opinions... love high tech, if you think Iā€™m helping the environment, awesome... but Iā€™m a Tesla owner because itā€™s just flat out cool ?
Sponsored