Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I am not really saying that Tesla doesn't plan to build the CT. I am just saying that Tesla made great progress against their mission statement, simply by announcing and keeping the CT hyped up. Some of the bold claims made in 2019 (mostly price) might not be possible now but what did they start in terms of battery supply chain improvements, planning for electrification of infrastructure, most everyone now knows that BEV will destroy ICE technology.

Tesla's mission is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy. I don't think Ford, GM etc would have bothered with an EV for a while without the Tesla CT threat. Rivian started a while ago, but probably needed a sense of urgency as well.

Think about it. There a 4-5 prototypes running around out there representing ~$20 million in CT only development???? This forced the others to drop billions in plans to compete.

Mission accomplished?
Sponsored

CostcoSamples

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
That's a good insight, but I think the so called electrification of the auto industry is still in the very early days. Only Tesla makes EVs at a scale of any significance. I keep telling people we aren't in an EV revolution, rather, we are in a Tesla revolution.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If Tesla doesn’t release the Cybertruck then the legacy automakers have no incentive to release trucks which are competitive with their ICE vehicles. Their electric trucks will appeal to people willing to pay a premium to get an electric vehicle, but not to the rest of the truck market.

The Cybertruck was targeted across the bow of the truck market, not meant to shake out a little low hanging fruit in the super-premium truck market.

In the mean time, this is almost ideal (for the market… not for us). The major players have time to get their ducks in a row and have a “2 year head start” on the market.

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
That's a good insight, but I think the so called electrification of the auto industry is still in the very early days. Only Tesla makes EVs at a scale of any significance. I keep telling people we aren't in an EV revolution, rather, we are in a Tesla revolution.
A chart came out the other day with EV sales by major manufacturers. Sorry I am too lazy to link it. I was surprised how many producers over 100,000 units. There were a couple Chinese brands and then VW and Volvo etc. Many of these are well into their ramp. The rate in growth the next 2 years will be phenomenal. The rate in which we adopt new technology is accelerating in general. electrification will be no different.

CostcoSamples

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
A chart came out the other day with EV sales by major manufacturers. Sorry I am too lazy to link it. I was surprised how many producers over 100,000 units. There were a couple Chinese brands and then VW and Volvo etc. Many of these are well into their ramp. The rate in growth the next 2 years will be phenomenal. The rate in which we adopt new technology is accelerating in general. electrification will be no different.
That is very cool. I had heard VW was ramping up, not surprised the Chinese are as well. I'm still bummed Tesla is in China - you just know they are stealing Tesla tech faster than a fat kid chasing an ice cream truck.

In any case, the good news is Tesla has at least a 10x lead on anybody else. And by good news, I mean good for TSLA owners.

ColoradoBlah

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Mustang PP
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I think it will eventually happen but I have really lost interest in the past few months. They should at least share some new information.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
OK, I'm bored with the whole thing. I'm sick of waiting, so I'm going to get an equivalent truck somewhere else.
(searches)
Hmmm, electric, stainless steel, shaved handles, low center of gravity, 35" tires, glass roof, 500 miles, super aerodynamic, 220 volt, vault, OTA updates, adjustable suspension, giant wiper. Sheez, no one even comes close. I'm back.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think it will eventually happen but I have really lost interest in the past few months. They should at least share some new information.
This is how Tesla shares new information. In dribs and drags, via leaks, and tweets.

Just recently we got some views of what the current testing alpha/ beta prototype looks like. Musk told is it will have 4 wheel steering and quad motors. We know the quad motor config will be out first. We know it has a wiper can knock small aircraft out of the sky if unchecked.

I know… kind of a dumb way to share information, but that’s the Tesla way.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
This is how Tesla shares new information. In dribs and drags, via leaks, and tweets.

Just recently we got some views of what the current testing alpha/ beta prototype looks like. Musk told is it will have 4 wheel steering and quad motors. We know the quad motor config will be out first. We know it has a wiper can knock small aircraft out of the sky if unchecked.

I know… kind of a dumb way to share information, but that’s the Tesla way.
It reminds me of how a bunch of developers/geeks (I am one, so I can say that) would typically share information with stakeholders/business if there weren't others with better communication skills involved.

- It will be ready when it's ready
- It will be super cool, all the latest tech stack, an "insane technology bandwagon"
- We can perpetually deliver that in two weeks (that's our sprint length)
- You don't understand how adopting this technology will completely change how we do business
- Crypto!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
OK, I'm bored with the whole thing. I'm sick of waiting, so I'm going to get an equivalent truck somewhere else.
(searches)
Hmmm, electric, stainless steel, 500 miles, super aerodynamic, 220 volt, adjustable suspension, giant wiper. Sheez, no one even comes close. I'm back.
Add to the list the following likely tidbit: 324+ kW charging and likely the smallest/ fastest charging battery for a truck.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It reminds me of how a bunch of developers/geeks (I am one, so I can say that) would typically share information with stakeholders/business if there weren't others with better communication skills involved.

- It will be ready when it's ready
- It will be super cool, all the latest tech stack, an "insane technology bandwagon"
- We can perpetually deliver that in two weeks (that's our sprint length)
- You don't understand how adopting this technology will completely change how we do business
- Crypto!
You’ve been spying on our sprints!

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
These days on the internet, we are used to information overload, and when things are more normal we think it's not enough.

Sometimes too much information is dangerous… We see this with the innuendos and critiques. Tesla should even say less for a while.
Sponsored