Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The interior is plain because that's the way it is designed.

Its like going to Japan and telling them to ask Americans to design their gardens !

Tesla designed the interior of the spaceships for SpaceX, and the astronauts suits.

If Tesla wanted to, they could dress a Pig to look like someone’s bride on their wedding day !.
Sponsored

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
The problem is the Plaid is too close to the proposed CT3 in terms of performance and needs to be differentiated somehow.
CT3 tri-motor is gear reduction. CT4 Quad motors IDK. Guessing direct drive.

CT3 is going to be a real torquer. That is the hardest pulling Cybertruck in the fleet. That’ll be the trailer tow rig besting even the CT4 Plaid.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I am just advocating for a really high end Plaid, which would include a tricked out interior.
Agreed. I’m on record advocating bespoke $250+ CT4 Plaid version. There’s no limit on how far the halo doomsday rig can be spec’d. There will be a competition to see who owns the BladeRunner version. That’s free advertising! Especially Hollywood puts it in a movie.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Still not seeing this.

Tesla needs products they can crank out in large numbers. A $130k truck is not a big volume vehicle.

It also makes little sense given any of the communication Telsa has put out.

No comments from Musk (or anyone at Tesla) about how “Luxurious” it was going to be. Tough, capable, bad-ass, fun… those are the words Musk used to describe it. Luxurious I don’t think ever popped up.

I think with both the Roadster and the Model 3 Tesla introduced a higher performance version late in the game. Wouldn’t surprise me if they did something similar. But not one that nearly doubles the price.

xodarap1

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick Encore, Nissan Sentra, >>> Cybertruck TM
Occupation
Security
Country flag
"What if they turned over their CT Plaid power train to someone like Mercedes and said, 'build us a fancy truck interior'."

But...why? :sick:
I can only speak for myself, but I sure don't want a CT or other Tesla with a Mercedes interior. Even if that interior choice was a free option. The easy to clean and uncluttered look of the Tesla interiors is a huge plus to me. Luxury is definitely in the eye of the beholder though, so maybe others would like it.

Mrp911

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Sat in my friends Model S Plaid. The premium quality of the interior was outstanding. Seats, integrated monitor into the dash, the dash and yoke, carbon fiber, and center area were all very premium.
Don’t need to farm out. It’s already been established. If you don’t believe me go check one out.

Toonces

First Name
Meow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model Y
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Country flag
In my Rivian price swing post I hypothesized a $130k Plaid CT Quad 4WS. I actually think Tesla could price the CT Plaid higher than the S Plaid. After all it will have the highest range and the best tech.

Since Telsa "owes us" a CT3 tri motor level performance for $70-80K and there probably won't be that much improvement on performance between the new CT3 level (whatever it is) and the Plaid, Tesla will want to justify the $50k price swing another way. Not just first deliveries.

What if they turned over their CT Plaid power train to someone like Mercedes and said, 'build us a fancy truck interior'. I don't know how Tesla would brand this, but
Say they valued CT Plaid with a gutted interior at $90k Someone does a $25,000 interior and Tesla sells this all for $140k.

So they have a ~50% margin on the guts and 100% margin on the interior and still sell 20,000 units. They continue to make a great truck interior common across the other tiers without pulling resources on designing and producing the fancy trim and seats.

Maybe the Plaid gets a laser etched surface and solar tonneau to help differentiate it.

I can't wait to see what Tesla is going to do on their pricing scheme and options.
Sounds like a lot of hypothetical what if’s to me…

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Sat in my friends Model S Plaid. The premium quality of the interior was outstanding. Seats, integrated monitor into the dash, the dash and yoke, carbon fiber, and center area were all very premium.
Don’t need to farm out. It’s already been established. If you don’t believe me go check one out.
I have also been in Plaid, it was nice but plain at the same time, but Tesla chic. I can't compare to a entry level Y or standard S. Obviously I am not advocating velour or dingle balls, it would have to be classy and truck worthy. I think upgraded vented seats could be a main differentiator.

As many have pointed out the CT3 may in fact morph into the Quad 4WS. While Tesla might tune it down a bit and make a hotter Plaid, there should be some more differentiation to justify a substantial price swing. For my fellow CTOC members who have been dreaming of the CT3 I think they should get that performance at close to the $70k.

As @rr6013 said maybe part of a BladeRunner Plaid edition. Maybe this is the first 20,000 units, like a launch edition priced at ~$140k. Besides the interior upgrades what other changes could Tesla do to make a compelling Blade Runner Plaid limited edition without reengineering the mechanics?

If Tesla can convert the 2710 line in Berlin to 4680 in 3 weeks, surely they could switch from a BladeRunner Plaid launch edition to the CT3 equivalent in one week and the second half of 2023 could mean deliveries for CT3 buyers.

I can't emphasis it enough. The Plaid is good for us. Even if we are not buying it.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
First I really an not advocating this. I personally won't buy a Plaid unless I come into stupid money. As a stockholder I want Tesla to maximize profit on the Plaid. It will help subsidize all other models.

The problem is the Plaid is too close to the proposed CT3 in terms of performance and needs to be differentiated somehow.

For people who think their CT3 reservation is going to get replaced with a Quad 4ws for $5K more I think you are delusional...... unless there is a Plaid step up on top of the current top configuration.

We need the next level Quad 4WS Plaid and it needs a step above. It will help all of us.
I'll be very happy if my Trimotor still exists. I can't afford a quad if it's like 15k plus the trimotor.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
You are always free to pimp your ride in whichever manner of luxury or exorbitance you choose. I'll take the stock interior option.

The outside may end up looking like a Halo warthog battle wagon, but that is another story.

Jose pena

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
20 years in the Army and 12 with DoD and I had not ever seen a group of people so loyal to a company "Tesla" a man "Musk" and a vehicle "cybertruck" like you guys. I don't know what to say. I am just going for the ride literally. I am having a blast so don't hate me please. I do love you all. so, keep it up. lol

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Elon is living the dream of many a nerd, and I hope he doesn't forget it.

The Model X, the Falcon Heavy, the Cybertruck, these look like they came right out of my pre-teen notebooks.

But he's not the only one. Aptera, Canoo, etc. They all are taking ideas that weren't possible before (or only vaguely possible) and running with them. I want to see them succeed.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'll be very happy if my Trimotor still exists. I can't afford a quad if it's like 15k plus the trimotor.
You aren’t alone.

I wouldn’t sweat it too much. I suspect one way or the other Tesla will launch something palatable to us. Lots of ways they can change things up and make reasonable options for everyone even if the top end product is more expensive.

Adding a 420+ mile dual motor truck somewhere in between the current 300m and 500 mile options for example would go along ways to placating many of us.
Sponsored