Cyber Cabin Fever; bi directional charging!

GNRgRocks!

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Scenario I have a cabin I would love to power via Cybertruck. Assumption I will require 25% charge for return trip home I envision having 75% charge avail to power cabins needs... how many projected watt hours would be avail? Maybe a weeks worth?? Who’s good at math? Thanks ?
Sponsored

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
Scenario I have a cabin I would love to power via Cybertruck. Assumption I will require 25% charge for return trip home I envision having 75% charge avail to power cabins needs... how many projected watt hours would be avail? Maybe a weeks worth?? Who’s good at math? Thanks ?
1st would be what do you use per day watt wise?
2nd would be what CT are you gettin, as each may have diff capacity.
3rd would be if you are "using 25%" for return home and you will "have 75% charge avail to power cabin needs" -how did you get there with 100%? Shouldn't it be 25 to get there 50 for cabin and 25 for home trip, or did I miss something?
4th would be lithium is known to have a good flat discharge curve UNTIL a certain point and then it speeds up. This may have to be factored in. Watching some Tesla drivers on gootube may aid in "how fast does battery drain after a certain percent."

OP
OP
GNRgRocks!

GNRgRocks!

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
1st would be what do you use per day watt wise?
2nd would be what CT are you gettin, as each may have diff capacity.
3rd would be if you are "using 25%" for return home and you will "have 75% charge avail to power cabin needs" -how did you get there with 100%? Shouldn't it be 25 to get there 50 for cabin and 25 for home trip, or did I miss something?
4th would be lithium is known to have a good flat discharge curve UNTIL a certain point and then it speeds up. This may have to be factored in. Watching some Tesla drivers on gootube may aid in "how fast does battery drain after a certain percent."

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
1. I think you were intending to reply with details, but it looks like your post was accidentally blank. Can you try again please?

2. You look like Gordon Ramsay! Glad to see that he supports bugging out and the Cybertruck ?

OP
OP
GNRgRocks!

GNRgRocks!

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Thanks. Dual motor ; hoping for battery min 220kWH. considering 75% of capacity avail accounting for return trip using 25%. ; so would I have like 165kWh avail? So avg home quick math. Super rough but say 8,000 kWh per year /52 weeks = 153 kwh/week ? As I unplug truck would have a power wall reserve to keep things running? Unsure of math but hope this could conceivably work??

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
Nice! Remember to factor in conversion losses as you go about it. Converting the DC battery to AC 220V, then converting that AC back to DC for items in your cabin. I would factor in 25% just between the conversion losses and the truck's daily idle power loss.

My LR RWD M3 loses about 10mi/day (~3%) to standby losses alone with Sentry Mode disabled.

OP
OP
GNRgRocks!

GNRgRocks!

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
My dilemma is to whether spend the money to tie in to grid (solar is not conducive due to aspect and mature trees unfortunately) which would cost in neighborhood of $30k. Need to convince myself Cybertruck can be a viable solution. Limitations to length of underground conduit ? Thanks

OP
OP
GNRgRocks!

GNRgRocks!

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Nice! Remember to factor in conversion losses as you go about it. Converting the DC battery to AC 220V, then converting that AC back to DC for items in your cabin. I would factor in 25% just between the conversion losses and the truck's daily idle power loss.

My LR RWD M3 loses about 10mi/day (~3%) to standby losses alone with Sentry Mode disabled.

Thanks! Maybe just maybe standby loses are gone with solar tonneau cover config?

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
I'm not an electrician so don't quote me on code requirements, but there are power losses when running long wires for sure. Here's a basic calculator you could reference ?

Keep in mind the CT 240V outlet is speculated to have 30-50A output capacity, but nothing is confirmed yet.

The calculator could help you determine your power loss % as well as the most appropriate AWG wire size to use for ground buried scenarios ?

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
Do you have any running water nearby your cabin where you could possibly go hydro? Any areas where you could clear out and run even a small solar array? Even if you're running 100-300ft of underground wire to get there?

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
u can chop to top of a tree and make a solar tree. but up there(canada) i think much more solar is needed

larryboy31

First Name
larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Dodge turbo diesel ext. cab,2016 Nissan versa, 2021 Subaru cross trek
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Thanks. Dual motor ; hoping for battery min 220kWH. considering 75% of capacity avail accounting for return trip using 25%. ; so would I have like 165kWh avail? So avg home quick math. Super rough but say 8,000 kWh per year /52 weeks = 153 kwh/week ? As I unplug truck would have a power wall reserve to keep things running? Unsure of math but hope this could conceivably work??
I have a 3000 square foot house, heat pump electric water heater . I heat with wood with a propane backup. Electric freezer and refrigerator. All our .lights are LED or CFL. Two people in the house, both retired. Last month we used 450 KWH! When you say cabin I think small and only occupied some of the time but even full time occupancy you should be able to get by with many fewer KWH.
Is the cabin built or are you building it? You say it would cost $30,000 to tie into the grid. For less than a third of that you could buy energy efficient appliances and lights, build in a few south facing windows, rent a propane tank and get a generator that runs on propane. You could then arrive at the cabin, plug in the CT and enjoy the peace and quiet. Once a week you could fire up your generator and top off the CT. One hour of running for every day of CT power is not unrealistic.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
A gen set is duplicitous-silly investment when a Cybertruck is parked outside with 11kWh. Who wants a Cybertruck with a KVA diesel gen set in back? Here’s good wishes that Tesla get technical and corporate policies aligned to help power life as people live it.

Panama electricity goes out weekly. Storms take it down for days. Panama is a remote corner case. I get that in the USA edge conditions are TX sized catastrophe, wild fire calamity or Katrina disasters. TSLA need a mode to empower its Tesla‘s to duty when needed.

Maybe that’s a cost thing incurred, time limited or regulator device controlled to avail energy to escape. Whatever the V2* constraint, its capacity for good must exceed Cybertruck’s “happy camper” limit.
Sponsored