goran.krabbas

First Name
Göran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S 90D -16
Country flag
Exact moment that Elon confirms 1000V Architecture / V4 Supercharging for Cybertruck too 😱

Sorry to say that you are probably wrong and that you don't understand how it works 😉
Elon confirmed that Cybertruck will use V4 Supercharging but NOT that Cybertruck have 1000V Architecture.
If Cybertruck would have 1000V Architecture it will not be able to charge att V3 Supercharger because they deliver max 400V, so Cybertruck have most likely 400V Architecture.
V3 Supercharger can deliver 250kW at 400V, thats 625A.
V4 Supercharger can deliver +1000kW at 1000V, thats +1000A
If Cybertruck or SX3Y charge at V4 Supercharger, than it gets max +1000A or 400kW at 400V.

pierrot

First Name
Pierre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mx-5, ram1500
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Confirmed? OK
But no date, when there's a MuskDate it's (DeliveryDate = MuskDate + 3 years ) in general. No date is plain vapor....

goran.krabbas

First Name
Göran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S 90D -16
Country flag
Megacharger is just a v4 Supercharger. V4 Supercharger can operate at 500v or 1000v. If it’s only operating at 500v, it has half the charging speed. Any Tesla can use the v4 charger…

Every single Tesla can use the v4 charger. The only special sauce here that the Cybertruck can have in common with the semi is unlocking the full capacity which requires 1000v charging. I don’t see how they could mean anything other than that the Cybertruck.

It is far more likely they ship it with 1000v than hit 1000 kW charge speed.
The Supercharger operates at the same voltage as the battery current voltage. (or little higher to regulate the amp)
V4 is up to 1000V and +1000A
V3 up to 500V and 625A
With 4680 battery, maybe Cybertruck can charge at +1000A, so it would be 400-500kW charging.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Sorry to say that you are probably wrong and that you don't understand how it works 😉
Elon confirmed that Cybertruck will use V4 Supercharging but NOT that Cybertruck have 1000V Architecture.
If Cybertruck would have 1000V Architecture it will not be able to charge att V3 Supercharger because they deliver max 400V, so Cybertruck have most likely 400V Architecture.
V3 Supercharger can deliver 250kW at 400V, thats 625A.
V4 Supercharger can deliver +1000kW at 1000V, thats +1000A
If Cybertruck or SX3Y charge at V4 Supercharger, than it gets max +1000A or 400kW at 400V.
Or CT could do what porche taycan does and split strings for lower voltage chargers.

goran.krabbas

First Name
Göran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S 90D -16
Country flag
Please see Munro video about 4680 cell evolution. They claim that latest 4680 cells used in Model Y are different than earlier ones. They called them semi solid state cells.
A solid state lithium cell could have a much higher cell voltage....
It could have very low internal resistance...
Elon said CT gets 1MW charging. They never said CT would have 1kV architecture but it would be outside NACS specs to do 1 MW charging @ 500v.
Besides if they are making 1kV invertors for Semi than using same part for CT makes sense.
These are just random high charge rate batteries. I'm not saying that cybertruck will do 1mw continously. But it probably will up to 75% or so, we just don't know enough and have to go on what they say.
To reiterate...
Cybertruck will have 1MW charging -Elon
V4 supercharger is 1MW. - charger cable slide
NACS is the plug for V4 - NACS spec sheet
People can disagree but this is what they said....
I disagree 🤔
All Elon said was "It's gonna be used for Cybertruck too"
Nothing more.
But it is up to you to interpret as you wish 😜

CostcoSamples

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Until this event, I was convinced Tesla was trending toward smaller batteries for CT. Now that 1MW class charging is confirmed for CT, I am changing my position. I think they will follow through on the 500 mile version. I think CT will dominate for towing.

Neo

First Name
Neo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne Turbo | Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Professional
Country flag
$29 for 31 days... please, my CyberTruck stand-in costs around $200 in gas for that same period, unless I'm towing Taj-Ma-Haul and then 2x that...

Neo

First Name
Neo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne Turbo | Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Professional
Country flag
That seems like a rather unusually busy day that they loaded, drove a few hundred miles, unloaded, then came back to do it all again.

Most delivery trucks don't do that sort of mileage.

-Crissa
I've moved into Taj-Ma-Haul (20' Toy Hauler Luxury Conversion) full-time and I'll be criss-crossing the US to spend time with my aging mother and my kids going to college.

I mentioned before, Taj-Ma-Haul will be outfitted with 8 x 14kWatt/hr batteries for 112kWatt/hrs of storage to help charge the CT. It would be nice to "dump" all of that stored energy as quickly as possible into the CT to expedite moving about. It would also be excellent if I could connect the 2 together for bilateral charge/discharge even in transit.

My current inverter can handle 120amps, sure would be nice to use as much of that as possible.

I know I'm the exception, but there are use cases out there.

TeslaCyberTruckJoe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silverado 1500, 2015 Honda Pilot
Country flag
Update: 1000V architecture / V4 supercharging for Cybertruck was confirmed during the semi live event!

Posted by @firsttruck:

Here is link to Tesla Semi Delivery Event but the video is cued to start at info on SuperCharger V4 MegaCharger and also Cybertruck charging.

Tesla Semi Delivery Event
2020 Dec 1

-------

Exact moment that Elon confirms 1000V Architecture / V4 Supercharging for Cybertruck too:

I like the plug for nuclear toward the end as well!

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
I've moved into Taj-Ma-Haul (20' Toy Hauler Luxury Conversion) full-time and I'll be criss-crossing the US to spend time with my aging mother and my kids going to college.

I mentioned before, Taj-Ma-Haul will be outfitted with 8 x 14kWatt/hr batteries for 112kWatt/hrs of storage to help charge the CT. It would be nice to "dump" all of that stored energy as quickly as possible into the CT to expedite moving about. It would also be excellent if I could connect the 2 together for bilateral charge/discharge even in transit.

My current inverter can handle 120amps, sure would be nice to use as much of that as possible.

I know I'm the exception, but there are use cases out there.
I'll be watching what you'll be doing although we've not full timers.

Also directionally, I would have to switch to truck camper once Lance or Northern Lite comes up with CT specific design.

Nice to dream of caravaning in Europe, Australia/NZ and Alaska (once the charging infrastructure there is set up).

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
At $400 for the Wall Connector and $230 for the Mobile Connector and another $100 for an industrial grade NEMA 14-50 outlet the difference for the superior solution is only $70. If the install is 50 feet from the panel you will pay that much just for the extra conductor that the outlet requires bringing the total cost to parity.

Even if the Wall Connector costs a few bucks more it's worth it for the thicker, more durable 24 foot cable, more power and fewer potential points of failure. It's just more robust and satisfying to use and has built-in cable management. There is also the option to piggyback one or more additional Wall Connectors on the same breaker so you can do intelligent load sharing with two or more EV's.

Before I knew better I thought the Mobile Connector would be a lot cheaper but it turns out it's basically a wash once all is considered. Using a NEMA 14-50 as a placeholder for a future Wall Connector is not a great idea and would end up costing even more in the end.
Good points.

I was planning (until my landlord decided he didn't want me to) on installing a Nema 14-50 outlet and connecting the wall connector to that. As a renter I can take the wall connector with me when I leave at least.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I disagree 🤔
Nothing more.
"It" that Elon is referring to is a pronoun. The noun is clearly Surströmming.

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
I disagree 🤔
Nothing more.
Göran is absolutely right! That verbatim quote by Elon followed many possible topics as to what "It" could be referring to:
V4 SuperChargers?
Charge cable with immersive cooling?
1000v architecture?
Unique Charger Plugs?
Mega Charger?
MegaWatt Charging?
etc., Neither presenter cleared up any of the ambiguity. 🤔

...and the non-specific use of the word "used"(???). I mean, the Mini E can USE a 350kW charger. That doesn't mean that it can charge above its 50kW max charge rate though. That CyberTruck can "use" a 1000v MegaCharger doesn't mean that it can take full advantage of all the capability of them. The Selective Hearing error of (almost) everyone in this thread has resulted in a gamut of opinions about what Elon's comment meant. At one end of possible conclusion to be drawn is merely that the CyberTruck will be able to plug into a V4 SuperCharger. At the other extreme of possibilities is that the CyberTruck will be able to charge at a MegaWatt rate!!!

I am 100% certain that the former is true, but am willing to bet a dozen shares of $TSLA that the latter ISN'T true.

I'd put my certainty that CyberTruck will have 1000v architecture at ~90%. Seems doable, but may be overkill on usefulness. The Semi, with it's huge battery pack can benefit GREATLY from this high voltage, and that may mean that sharing components on CyberTruck with Semi makes sharing voltage worth the trouble.

Many commenters have concluded that if CyberTruck can hook to a 1000v charger that HAS to mean that it has a 1000v battery pack. That just isn't true. Voltage can be stepped up and/or down with very simple induction coils that can be housed in the BMS. Everyone here uses a thumb sized component connected to 120v A/C to get 5v of D/C whenever they charge their phone. Heck, a stun gun can step up a 9v battery to >50,000v in a palm sized device.

Last edited:

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
At one end of possible conclusion to be drawn is merely that the CyberTruck will be able to plug into a V4 SuperCharger. At the other extreme of possibilities is that the CyberTruck will be able to charge at a MegaWatt rate!!!

I am 100% certain that the former is true, but am willing to bet a dozen shares of $TSLA that the latter ISN'T true.
My fact free take is based on CONTEXT: Large build up to announce the Semi's ability to charge using in the new 1000v architecture proceeded by a dramatic pause and then let the king himself announce that the CT will also use it too.

How I personally read this is that the CT will have all the hardware in place to utilize the 1000v charging systems. No need to point this out specifically because the v4 Supercharges also support all the S3XY models as well via 400v backwards compatibility. The fact CT was specifically mention and the only non-semi model mentioned is solid to me.

What we don't know is peak charging rates, I suspect 2x faster due to a couple known factors.
1. 4680 resistance should allow for less heat build up during charging.​
2. Larger pack design not proven but I see no other way around it to push the CT.​

The unknows that could also contribute to maybe 2.5x-3.5x+ faster peak charging.
3. Thermal management at the pack level as none of us know anything about the pack design for the CT, its variants, or its cooling capabilities.​
4. Starting Thermal mass, meaning it could take longer to reach a peak charging fall off. Think of throwing 5 golf ball sized bearings in a cast iron pan vs throwing in 1 base ball size bearing. The 5 smaller bearings will reach peak temps much quicker. Again, not my field here so I am winging it. =P​
5. Lastly the final battery chemistry used at release time. We do know they have generations of the 4680 design but we don't know the progress of those designs or which one we will be delivered. The chemistry could even vary depending on the CT motor variant to capitalize on cost.​

If all the stars above align and we get 5 mins of maxed out charging before a taper, that could be 50% charge....
Sponsored