Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Cyber Truck
Occupation
Research
Country flag
I wonder if project Highland, the M3 refresh, will use 1000V?
Its really only viable for larger battery packs.... doesnt make much sense on a car with 100kwh or less.
Sponsored

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
The voltage and current, i.e., power, available to charge the battery is just one/two factor(s) in being able to do 'fast' charging.
Other important factors, that is, limitations, are the heat generated during charging (heat can be a battery killer), and the so-called plating effect that can damage the anode (see: https://www.machinedesign.com/mater...one-reason-fast-charging-damages-li-batteries ).
On-board charging intelligence (usually in the vehicle) controls the charging rate to avoid over-heating and battery damage by limiting the power delivered to the battery based on what is considered optimum for safety and battery longevity.
Assuming these, and perhaps other factors can be overcome in battery control and design and perhaps chemistry, "super-fast" charging could be a reality.
However, I have always thought that battery swapping is a simple, no-brainer solution - just swap out a depleted battery for a fully charged one.
There is already at least one company in China and Norway that has developed a system that can do that quickly (see: https://thedriven.io/2022/11/08/ev-battery-swap-technology-continues-to-race-ahead-in-2022/ )
"... Nio’s EVs are designed to have battery swaps and the whole process can be done in under 7 minutes... To date, the company has provided over 14 million battery swap services and currently averages 30,000 battery swaps a day according to their social media posts. ..."
Besides the time for charging problem, the Nio solution would eliminate the EV owner's eventual problem of loss of capacity of the vehicle's battery, eh?
I am not sold yet at this time that battery swapping is the solution. Battery chemistries, the electronics that control them, thermal management systems (key item) and such are all interconnected. Add in other items such as structural packs plus the shear weight of the packs , the footprint of a swap facility (high cost) and the need for thousands of them. I think once the industries matures more it may very well make sense to eventually go this route *IF* we don't already get to the point of charging being so fast is it to not even matter anymore. This is the big catch and risk, can you recoup the costs of doing a wide spread swap system before it becomes obsolete by the advancements of charge rates? I personally do not believe so.

Last edited:

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
If Cybertruck does support both V2-V3 Supercharging, as well as V4 Megacharging, I'd be interested to see the Cybertruck charger port connector/layout (or layouts).
It's the regular connector, just has different wires in the cabling, supporting for cooling.

The "tip" is the same as ever. NACS.

SONNYDUT

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX470, 3x Audi A3, Honda Van, Model S, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
CAD Designer
Country flag
Did you see the new motors (small, football size) on the semi, I think the CT will share those motors. Insane dense power. The 1000v is expected.

Carlos Thomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Another thing to think about as a truck driver is when you are transporting in the mountains a like the Sierra Nevada’s, the truck won’t need to pull over to put on chains if all the wheels on the rig are powered. That is a huge time savings. Most truckers put them on by themselves versus paying out of their pocket to put them on. And then they have to take them off on the other side.

My guess is the Tesla Semi will be able to roll right through the chain control check point.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Couple inconsistencies in the video I'd like to point out and discuss.

1. They said they are using existing powertrain but it's a 1000V system.
    1. Maybe they have a switching system to change batteries in series for 1000V charging, then change to parallel 500V for running. Not saying they aren't, just seems like a lot of extra components and wiring and complexity. For example, when charging and the battery is in 1000V mode, does the heat pump still work? If so, is it wired to just one half of the battery always? Wouldn't that cause imbalance issues?
    2. The Inverters and motors MIGHT already be able to handle the 1000VDC. Inverters can be designed to work over a large voltage range. THis is unlikely because the inverters would need more expensive components. (Power Transistors and DC bus capacitors among other things).
    3. Maybe he's using the term "existing" loosely. They are based on the existing power train but reworked/redesigned to work with 1000V.
  2. As @Ogre pointed out, they said the powertrain had over 50.9B drive unit miles driven. Which implies they are Model 3/Y powertrains. but later in the video, he specifically said Model S/X plaid powertrains.
    1. Is it possible he meant ONE of the motors is plaid motor, and the others are Model 3 motors maybe?
    2. Is he just using the word "powertrain" in a more general sense. Instead of meaning a specific powertrain he means Tesla powertrains?
    3. Does a "drive unit" mile mean three miles for every car mile driven in a Model S/X plaid (three motors each traveling 1 mile)? Is it possible all the Model S/X plaid vehicles to date have reached 50B drive unit miles? [Just did the math. Assuming 200,000 cars (liberal guess) 50B/200,000/3 = 833,333 miles per car. So, no, highly unlikely]
Semi uses Model 3/ Y motors.

Thats the only way they can claim 50.9b miles on the Drive Unit.

Cybertruck may follow suit To keep costs down.

They may also use the same clutch mechanic the semi uses to increase efficiency. Perhaps the tri motor Cybertruck isn’t dead after all. Running a single motor when cruising would be a good way to stretch range.

1669964987846.png

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Another thing to think about as a truck driver is when you are transporting in the mountains a like the Sierra Nevada’s, the truck won’t need to pull over to put on chains if all the wheels on the rig are powered. That is a huge time savings. Most truckers put them on by themselves versus paying out of their pocket to put them on. And then they have to take them off on the other side.

My guess is the Tesla Semi will be able to roll right through the chain control check point.
In that case, it has to designate the Semi, although an all-wheel drive, as 4WD for which chain along the Sierra Nevada roads are not required.

CyberROD

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired Vet
Country flag
But its also a submarine, Bulletproof and all at $39K!!! Amazing!!!

Or the real story, its an upgrade $150k with only 100 made

ClayBell

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Touareg
Occupation
Database Admin
Country flag

that's a hard no, only snow tires are an exception to chains, for many, many reasons.

OP
OP
samroy92

samroy92

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
samroy.io
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, CT Tri/Quad FSD
Occupation
Head of Technology (SW, DevOps, IT, Security)
Country flag
That's not true. My 80kWh battery is charged at 250kW until the cutoff if it's properly conditioned.
What's not true? Yes your 80kWh battery is charged at 250kW at a peak C-Rate of 3.0. Any faster and you risk degrading the cell, at current chemistry.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
In that case, it has to designate the Semi, although an all-wheel drive, as 4WD for which chain along the Sierra Nevada roads are not required.
I have been driving AWD vehicles in the Sierras for a couple decades and the chain folks always wave me through. I always buy chains and carry them just in case, but have never used them. Am I misunderstanding your comment?

OP
OP
samroy92

samroy92

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
samroy.io
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, CT Tri/Quad FSD
Occupation
Head of Technology (SW, DevOps, IT, Security)
Country flag
Cybertruck will not be charging at MW levels because the battery will not be large enough to accept that much current. I does sound like it will charge at 1000V at Version 4 Superchargers though.
This is exactly correct. Even with major advancements in cell chemistry and internal resistance we are unlikely to see anything above 675kW -peak- charging speeds on a Cybertruck. Assuming so many things in favor of the higher charging rate too...

Realistically it will be 300-400kW peak, and an average charging rate of ~200kW. WHICH IS STILL AWESOME!

Lets hypothesize for a second:

CT has 450 miles of range on a 180kWh battery pack.
  • You roll into the charger at 5% SoC or 22.5 miles remaining
  • You charge at 400kW from 5% SoC to 35% SoC -> 135 miles gained in 8 minutes*
  • Your charge will taper off to an average of 250kW from 35% -> 65% -> 135 miles gained in 13 minutes*
  • You're now at the charger for around 20 minutes and gained 270 miles of range, ready to rock and roll

* this is calculated here:
400kW is 400kWh of energy gained over 1 hour period. That is 6.66 kWh gained per minute. If the Cybertruck efficiency is 2.5 miles per kWh thats 2.5 * 6.66 = 16.667 miles gained per minute. 135 miles divided by 16.667 miles per minute = 8 minutes of charging. Use this same calculation for 250kW and 13 minutes at an average rate of 250kW

Last edited:

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
I have been driving AWD vehicles in the Sierras for a couple decades and the chain folks always wave me through. I always buy chains and carry them just in case, but have never used them. Am I misunderstanding your comment?
No you did not misunderstood!

And I'm really not sure of the regs but someone who live in South Lake Tahoe said that regs about chains is based on the severity of snow, ice and road conditions.

There were two occasions with very heavy snow in Truckee/Donner Summit where everyone was stopped and semi had to install "full" chains as called for in the highway lighted bar notifications.

I have a 4wheel drive and I carry chains and I was waved off when the officer in check point saw I have chains. I do it for safety and not just for regulations. I have many close calls coming down Lake Tahoe, Truckee and Donner Summit in snow conditions.

And in some states, tire chains can be mandatory in icy road conditions.
Sponsored

Last edited: