Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I keep my cars for a long time and cost of ownership over life of the vehicle is a factor in my decision. Would you keep yours CT after warranty?

Are there any Tesla owners here that have kept their cars long after warranty and willing to share their experience?

This is talking about the same issue:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
In my point of view having your vehicle last as long as possible is a large part of being sustainable. It takes a ton of energy to build any vehicle. If I cant easily extend the life of my own vehicle by doing repairs myself I will opt out of purchasing said vehicle. I don't care how much I like Tesla. I have had my eye on this subject for a long time.

Its like my iPhone, if a physical part breaks or stops functioning I don't get a new phone and I don't take it to Apple for repairs. I simply order the part and fix it myself. If my CT breaks down mechanically (wheel bearing, brakes, suspension components ect..) I would like to have the right to perform the repair myself, if the software or computer related parts break I will surely pay Tesla to handle it.

BenH

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR
Occupation
Landscaper
Country flag
I keep my cars for a long time and cost of ownership over life of the vehicle is a factor in my decision. Would you keep yours CT after warranty?

Are there any Tesla owners here that have kept their cars long after warranty and willing to share their experience?

This is talking about the same issue:
I usually keep my cars for 13-15 years. I expect Cybertruck to last 20 years.

OP
OP
Diehard

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I usually keep my cars for 13-15 years. I expect Cybertruck to last 20 years.
Me 2. Let’s hope Tesla keeps the old control boards with proprietary hardware and software in stock and for sale for that long Otherwise it will not matter how durable, body, glass and battery are.

empiredown

Banned
Banned
First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Carrera T, 20 MY LR AWD, 21 F-150
Occupation
Retired and Loving It...
Country flag
Especially if you’re using it to plow through other, smaller vehicles in traffic...

Ăź

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Me 2. Let’s hope Tesla keeps the old control boards with proprietary hardware and software in stock and for sale for that long Otherwise it will not matter how durable, body, glass and battery are.
Slap in a V8 if Tesla won’t play fair.

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
Documents always get "disclosed" and junk yards will always have parts. Always more than one way to skin a cat. If one diy's or does own repairs now you will b able to on CT as well.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Right to repair is an issue that has been looming for a long time. We’re at a good point where we can help companies like Apple and Tesla see the error of their ways. Guide them to a better path.

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Documents always get "disclosed" and junk yards will always have parts. Always more than one way to skin a cat. If one diy's or does own repairs now you will b able to on CT as well.
Sure junkyard has parts but there is nothing that guarantees that the vehicle being repaired has to accept the part. Especially the electronic parts because all these can have unique ids that could be default blocked for use unless authorized by Tesla HQ.

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
Sure junkyard has parts but there is nothing that guarantees that the vehicle being repaired has to accept the part. Especially the electronic parts because all these can have unique ids that could be default blocked for use unless authorized by Tesla HQ.
Oh you mean how Apple is doing it with the screens and cameras, and than the batteries. I see what you mean, like the Cat and Mouse game with Console Modders (like I wouldn't know anything about that ;)) Than you for clearing that up for me, I guess I was just thinking more old school and not the current age we live in today.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Oh you mean how Apple is doing it with the screens and cameras, and than the batteries. I see what you mean, like the Cat and Mouse game with Console Modders (like I wouldn't know anything about that ;)) Than you for clearing that up for me, I guess I was just thinking more old school and not the current age we live in today.
Not just repair. Really everything. You can not be sure any computerized device does only what YOU want or tell it to do and not do more.

Today, whether your phone, tablet or computer, unless you use open source OS & apps (like Linux, LibreOffice, etc), you really own nothing important and control nothing important. The device works only in the way and as long as Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, Facebook, Google, etc allow you. Apple & Microsoft can permanently brick your device at any time they please. This is true wheteher you have one cell phone or are a company with dozens of computers & servers.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Not just repair. Really everything. You can not be sure any computerized device does only what YOU want or tell it to do and not do more.

Today, whether your phone, tablet or computer, unless you use open source OS & apps (like Linux, LibreOffice, etc), you really own nothing important and control nothing important. The device works only in the way and as long as Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, Facebook, Google, etc allow you. Apple & Microsoft can permanently brick your device at any time they please. This is true wheteher you have one cell phone or are a company with dozens of computers & servers.
When is the last time you did a full code review and audit before you used an instance of open source software? For the vast majority of users, OSS is just a more complicated version of magic than closed source.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
When is the last time you did a full code review and audit before you used an instance of open source software? For the vast majority of users, OSS is just a more complicated version of magic than closed source.
The point is that you can, and in fact, can have a true third-party audit. Security by obscurity isn't secure.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The point is that you can, and in fact, can have a true third-party audit. Security by obscurity isn't secure.

-Crissa
I don’t know if I agree with that statement, but I do intend to keep my CT for a long time and hope that, being an EV, it will be pretty much worry free. I’ve had 2 hybrids and they have been pretty much problem free even with ICE engines. Our Model 3, so far, hasn’t needed any maintenance. The Teslas are big into electronics so that is an area where they might need maintenance over time.
Sponsored