A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Got curious as to how many of us who reserved the CT also had a reservation for a Rivian. In addition to doing the poll tell us what you intend to do (e.g. keep both, keep the one you like best ...) if so inclined
Sponsored

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
Range is key for me. The Rivian and also all other EVs do not compete with the Tri Motor for range so I only have a CT reservation.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I also need to be able to get to the work site after I drive a long way. I work in the power utility industry and need to get to the power lines in the summer and winter, so I will use the CT off road a lot too. I am really excited about pulling up to a Powerline that also directly powers my vehicle. Kind of poetic and also job security.

OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The large battery Rivian will deliver over 400 miles on a charge and so is, IMO, comparable to the Tri Motor WRT range. What would steer me away from Rivian in Saskatchewan is that there is only one place in the whole province where you can charge above 70 kW and two (including the one just mentioned) where you can charge at 70 kW. By comparison there are 6 Tesla SCs.

Of course if you are puttering around with a 12 kV to 240 V transformer, alligator clips and a ladder in the bed you could charge a Rivian or a Tesla anywhere you go.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
We do have the super chargers on the Trans Canada Highway, and one more spot now. It will improve however not where I need it. This is the area I drive regularly. Not a charger anywhere inside of the 55,000 sqkm I look after. And that will not change for a long time based on population and EV ownership.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck and Rivian Reservations? 0B5AF123-04C1-410B-8EF7-A1139BDDB5D5

Cody the cat

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mercury Monterey
Occupation
Artist
Country flag
No reservations. I’m being honest.
Do I want to have a reserved CT just for me? Um yes.
I come her to live vicariously through you.
I’ve stated many times that my jealousy is large, but my Respect for this vehicle is larger.

OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Not a charger anywhere inside of the 55,000 sqkm I look after.
There are actually a handfull but they are all Level 2. They are located at convenience stores, auto dealers etc. Don't overlook NEMA 14-50R locations as you may need them. Check these all out on Plugshare.

The problem you are facing with either the CT or the Rivian is that they are both big vehicles and thus go only about 2 miles on a kWh. A 14-50R receptacle is typically on a 50 A circuit but may be on a 40 Amp circuit in which case the charger can only draw 32 A and, out of what I'm sure is dire warnings from legal, has resulted in the mobile charger issued with the cars being rated at that level meaning 7.68 kW charging rate. Given less than 100 % efficiency from the charger that implies about 14 miles range added per hour of charging. If you install an HPWC at home you can get up to 48 A (maximum with the current Teslas and the Rivians) equivalent to 11.5 kW implying about 20 miles per hour. I think there is a chance Tesla may go back to a 72 A maximum with the TriMotor at least implying 30 miles per hour. Thus if you can charge 12 hours at night you will pick up 168 miles using the mobile charger, 240 miles using an HPWC on a 60 A circuit or 360 if they put a 72 Amp charger in the Tri. I think you have some planning to do with the CT (or the Rivian). Getting as much on board as possible at home is clearly part of the strategy,

Last edited:

Camper Van Someren

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Focus RS, 2015 Sienna AWD, 2002 Ranger
Country flag
Main problem with Rivian is price. But other than that I really like it.

If the 400mi Rivian was competitive on price per mile range (about $60K) I would strongly consider it over a CT. My main reasons are size (I don’t need a 6.5’ bed) and the quad motor setup (not only for tank turn party trucks but also because this is the holy grail for off-road traction). And if I got a Rivian I would probably end up with the SUV so I can fold the seats and sleep in it.

OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
As of 7 Jan only 3 people (and I am obviously one of those) indicates that they have reservations for both (R1T only) and 38 for the CT only, This really surprises me. I thought lots of people who had reserved the Rivian would also reserve the CT for the same reason I did. Rivian will get you into a BEV truck sooner. I'll be able to drive it around for probably a year before the CT is ready. At that time I can
1)Trade it in on the CT
2)Sell it
3)Dive both for a while and keep the one I like best
4)Keep both

As the risk associated with a reservation for either amounts only to the opportunity risk I thought more would say "WTF". Interesting. Thanks to all who responeded.

Last edited:

brianbarn

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mustang, 2014 Explorer
Country flag
I have reservations for the Cybertruck, a Mustang Mach-E, and a FIsker Ocean. I'm a bit obsessed...

OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Kicking this sleeping dog to see if it collects some more votes.

Teslaman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S P85
Occupation
Winemaker
Country flag
There are actually a handfull but they are all Level 2. They are located at convenience stores, auto dealers etc. Don't overlook NEMA 14-50R locations as you may need them. Check these all out on Plugshare.

The problem you are facing with either the CT or the Rivian is that they are both big vehicles and thus go only about 2 miles on a kWh. A 14-50R receptacle is typically on a 50 A circuit but may be on a 40 Amp circuit in which case the charger can only draw 32 A and, out of what I'm sure is dire warnings from legal, has resulted in the mobile charger issued with the cars being rated at that level meaning 7.68 kW charging rate. Given less than 100 % efficiency from the charger that implies about 14 miles range added per hour of charging. If you install an HPWC at home you can get up to 48 A (maximum with the current Teslas and the Rivians) equivalent to 11.5 kW implying about 20 miles per hour. I think there is a chance Tesla may go back to a 72 A maximum with the TriMotor at least implying 30 miles per hour. Thus if you can charge 12 hours at night you will pick up 168 miles using the mobile charger, 240 miles using an HPWC on a 60 A circuit or 360 if they put a 72 Amp charger in the Tri. I think you have some planning to do with the CT (or the Rivian). Getting as much on board as possible at home is clearly part of the strategy,
[

Really hope Tesla goes back to offering dual chargers for the CT. My P85 S has them and on an 80A home Tesla charger (dialed down to 64A), I am able to achieve charge rates up to 54mi/hr.

OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Guess I should update and point out that the new HPWC is capable of only 48 A max (60 A circuit). I'm wondering if Tesla will rig the CT ala the Semi i.e. with dual charging ports in which case you could plug in 2 HPWC's and get a 96 A charging rate (23 kW) for 46 mi added per hour. I think there's a good chance of this as they will then be able to claim that the truck can be fully charged in 10 hours at home even though in fact only perhaps 5% of owners will pull two circuits and install 2 HPWC to make this possible.

Teslaman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S P85
Occupation
Winemaker
Country flag
Right, though I am talking about dual chargers inside the vehicle, not dual charge ports. Unsure why they stopped offering this option.
Sponsored