Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
There is a lot of noise right now about the possibility of a Tesla App Store for their consoles.

What is your short list of apps you’d like to see on the Cybertruck console?

For me, it would be:
  • Off-line maps, often I take my cars where cell signals are weak.
  • Something like iOverlander, a database of locations where you can overnight in your car/ truck. Also want off-line access for above reasons.
  • A backroads/ forest roads guide (w/ Off line capability of course) for back hills adventures.
  • Widgets where I can have programmable spots on the screen to display the metric of my choice. For example I would love to have one which shows in nice big numbers the state of charge from the current location to home.
  • Mountain bike specific Apps like Trail Forks… works on the phone, but big screen is nice plus I gotta get there.
  • Route aware weather notifications.
  • A camera view selector which lets me show the view from any camera in full screen.
  • An intercom you can use to chat with other Cybertruck/ Tesla drivers easily? Might be fun.
  • A better way to see food/ rest stop/ travel amenities along my current route.
I know the first 3 are very over-lapping, ideally it would be one app, but I think 3 is more likely.

Also, there are a lot of phone apps for this stuff, but having it on the car console would be nice.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Why would the offline maps be something you purchase?
Because Tesla doesn’t offer them by default?

Ideally the car/ truck would pre-fetch all maps along your route opportunistically, does not seem to be the case with Tesla. They very much rely on routing and mapping using internet/ LTE.

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
There is a lot of noise right now about the possibility of a Tesla App Store for their consoles.

What is your short list of apps you’d like to see on the Cybertruck console?

For me, it would be:
  • Off-line maps, often I take my cars where cell signals are weak.
  • Something like iOverlander, a database of locations where you can overnight in your car/ truck. Also want off-line access for above reasons.
  • A backroads/ forest roads guide (w/ Off line capability of course) for back hills adventures.
  • Widgets where I can have programmable spots on the screen to display the metric of my choice. For example I would love to have one which shows in nice big numbers the state of charge from the current location to home.
  • Mountain bike specific Apps like Trail Forks… works on the phone, but big screen is nice plus I gotta get there.
  • Route aware weather notifications.
  • A camera view selector which lets me show the view from any camera in full screen.
  • An intercom you can use to chat with other Cybertruck/ Tesla drivers easily? Might be fun.
  • A better way to see food/ rest stop/ travel amenities along my current route.
I know the first 3 are very over-lapping, ideally it would be one app, but I think 3 is more likely.

Also, there are a lot of phone apps for this stuff, but having it on the car console would be nice.
The ability to integrate 3rd party software that already does much of the offline maps, trails etc. I know there are security issues so it would be best if they are incorporated into the main package.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The ability to integrate 3rd party software that already does much of the offline maps, trails etc. I know there are security issues so it would be best if they are incorporated into the main package.
No more or less of a security issue than they are with similar apps on your phone which are in common use. Arguably less so since your vehicle doesn’t need any personal information.

I would just hope Tesla would take all the lessons Apple and Google learned over the years and start with a platform that is anonymous and less traceable from the start.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
  • Nest, and other home automation apps. Set home thermostat, turn lights on/off, check doorbell camera via the screen in car.

• Toll Road apps. i.e. Illinois iPass app to check if tolls were paid etc.

• Parking meter app. (I park in town, open the parking meter app, enter the parking meter number and pay for parking time in the app).

• Waze

• Business apps. (Restaurants, theaters etc.). Order my Big Mac meal in the car, pick it up at the restaurant. I do that now on my phone, but I've cut WAY back on my fast food eating since the pandemic.

• FaceTime, Skype, Zoom MSTeams ? Allow access to driver facing camera?
Yes I realize many of these would probably need to have functions disabled while driving. Although if it knew it was the passenger operating it, it would be nice to have the passenger take my McD order etc. Plus once we get to Level 3 and beyond....

Please PLEASE please... do NOT Put Alexa in my car!

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
I'd love to have all the apps you mentioned, and also a good weather radar display. Planes have them...why not the CT? Would be awesome for storm chasing. And highway driving in general.

As for the security aspect of apps, I trust that Tesla is ahead of the game on this. There needs to be several layers of hardware and software firewalls in place to keep any malicious apps from messing with your vehicle. In fact, they may not be able to allow apps to control your vehicle functions at all (unlike a smartphone where the apps can be given permission to control parts of your phone). It may be too much of a security risk. I'm ok with that. I don't need to download a windshield wiper app that allows me to make my wiper dance to the music. Or allow super mega wiper speed.

Maybe just keep the apps totally isolated from the vehicle control system. I'm having a hard time thinking of any exceptions to this rule. Besides the screen and stereo.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Oooh…
Integrate Apples “Find My Friends“ app.
Get in car and say “Take me to @Ogre ”. Eight minutes later you’re at <local bar name>.
A lot of bars in your life Bill… we all gathered here… we wrote letters. ??

I like the concept and would also add, “Avoid my spouse” and “Find me an exact duplicate of my wedding China” that I definitely did not just break.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
  • FaceTime, Skype, Zoom MSTeams ? Allow access to driver facing camera?
Clearly they will need to specify which apps can run while driving and which ones only work when parked. Do not want anyone trying to FaceTime their kids while driving. When FSD eventually comes into it’s own, “Parked” apps would be unlocked while FSD is on.

Yes I realize many of these would probably need to have functions disabled while driving. Although if it knew it was the passenger operating it, it would be nice to have the passenger take my McD order etc. Plus once we get to Level 3 and beyond....
Clearly I shouldn’t have typed the above reply before finishing reading…

Please PLEASE please... do NOT Put Alexa in my car!
They would do this of course because Musk and Bezos are super tight right?

I assume any Apple/ Amazon/ Google/ Microsoft integration would be something the respective companies would need to do on their own. Tesla doesn’t need to integrate other people’s tech into their cars to make an extra buck.
Sponsored