Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Apple CarPlay. At least an app in a window.
Oooh…
Integrate Apples “Find My Friends“ app.
Get in car and say “Take me to @Ogre ”. Eight minutes later you’re at <local bar name>.
As I mentioned above, I expect any integration with the Apple or Google eco-systems to be something Tesla lets them do rather than implements themselves. I doubt Apple would want to put these apps or messenger onto another platform. These features are fundamentally part of the stickiness of their platform.
Sponsored

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
I'd love to have all the apps you mentioned, and also a good weather radar display. Planes have them...why not the CT? Would be awesome for storm chasing. And highway driving in general.

As for the security aspect of apps, I trust that Tesla is ahead of the game on this. There needs to be several layers of hardware and software firewalls in place to keep any malicious apps from messing with your vehicle. In fact, they may not be able to allow apps to control your vehicle functions at all (unlike a smartphone where the apps can be given permission to control parts of your phone). It may be too much of a security risk. I'm ok with that. I don't need to download a windshield wiper app that allows me to make my wiper dance to the music. Or allow super mega wiper speed.

Maybe just keep the apps totally isolated from the vehicle control system. I'm having a hard time thinking of any exceptions to this rule. Besides the screen and stereo.
Terrain would be the big problem with a weather app running radar. only with altitude do you get a good forward view.

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
Terrain would be the big problem with a weather app running radar. only with altitude do you get a good forward view.
I meant displaying live radar views from NWS ground-based doppler radar.

It would be sweet to moutnt a radar on a CT, but that's a whole nother deal. :)

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I meant displaying live radar views from NWS ground-based doppler radar.

It would be sweet to moutnt a radar on a CT, but that's a whole nother deal. :)
You could mount a whole weather system on it.

”WOW, 100MPH winds, must be crazy outside!”

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
There is a lot of noise right now about the possibility of a Tesla App Store for their consoles.

What is your short list of apps you’d like to see on the Cybertruck console?

For me, it would be:
  • Off-line maps, often I take my cars where cell signals are weak.
  • Something like iOverlander, a database of locations where you can overnight in your car/ truck. Also want off-line access for above reasons.
  • A backroads/ forest roads guide (w/ Off line capability of course) for back hills adventures.
  • Widgets where I can have programmable spots on the screen to display the metric of my choice. For example I would love to have one which shows in nice big numbers the state of charge from the current location to home.
  • Mountain bike specific Apps like Trail Forks… works on the phone, but big screen is nice plus I gotta get there.
  • Route aware weather notifications.
  • A camera view selector which lets me show the view from any camera in full screen.
  • An intercom you can use to chat with other Cybertruck/ Tesla drivers easily? Might be fun.
  • A better way to see food/ rest stop/ travel amenities along my current route.
I know the first 3 are very over-lapping, ideally it would be one app, but I think 3 is more likely.

Also, there are a lot of phone apps for this stuff, but having it on the car console would be nice.
One of the biggest features I'd like to see on the app store is communication. With premium connectivity, it would be nice to be able to use apps like Skype or even discord to chat with a friend or multiple people at once and do it simply from the Tesla screen.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
IDK if I am all in on an app store honestly. I would rather have a much more stable vehicle related only system. Though I will concede to anything that is purely streaming such as video services and streaming gaming services. Even those I would like to see running in a Hyper-V or some other abstracted environment virtual machine environment for security reasons. Keeping security risk to an absolute minimum on highly connected device should be priority. The phone is perfectly capable of handling almost all other needs for apps and if it bricks due to a malicious app or attack I won't be stranded.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
IDK if I am all in on an app store honestly. I would rather have a much more stable vehicle related only system. Though I will concede to anything that is purely streaming such as video services and streaming gaming services. Even those I would like to see running in a Hyper-V or some other abstracted environment virtual machine environment for security reasons. Keeping security risk to an absolute minimum on highly connected device should be priority. The phone is perfectly capable of handling almost all other needs for apps and if it bricks due to a malicious app or attack I won't be stranded.
I absolutely agree that whatever they do should be focused on security first.

I’d also prefer that they omit the App Store if they cannot secure it properly. And to be honest, do not see it as a necessary part of the car. I do see some value add though.

All of my comments above could be prefaced with “If they are going to have an App Store…”.

But as you suggest, security should be Job #1. It is possible that the new faster CPUs are included in order to accommodate something like this. I suspect they are capable of virtualization (though I have not looked into it. Since its running Linux, it wouldn’t be Hyper-V though. Lots of great and secure virtualization options run atop Linux though, something like 99.999% of the internet runs in one sort of Linux VM or another at this point.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Which parts? I'm behind the times on vehicle tech, sorry. I still drive a 2004 Honda.
There is a whole API for Tesla. Starting and stopping climate control, popping the frunk (when parked), doors windows. You can also fetch trip data and some supercharger stop data. Some apps let you display current speed and other metrics as well.

My assumption is the apps on the car would use the same or a similar API to the current public one.

One thing I don‘t think many people have considered about this is it is very likely Tesla will roll out a new version of their public API at the same time. The current API isn’t very granular so you can’t grant a trip logging app access to trip data only as one example.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
I absolutely agree that whatever they do should be focused on security first.

I’d also prefer that they omit the App Store if they cannot secure it properly. And to be honest, do not see it as a necessary part of the car. I do see some value add though.

All of my comments above could be prefaced with “If they are going to have an App Store…”.

But as you suggest, security should be Job #1. It is possible that the new faster CPUs are included in order to accommodate something like this. I suspect they are capable of virtualization (though I have not looked into it. Since its running Linux, it wouldn’t be Hyper-V though. Lots of great and secure virtualization options run atop Linux though, something like 99.999% of the internet runs in one sort of Linux VM or another at this point.
Yeah I threw out Hyper-V like Band-Aid. =) I've been in IT for over 30 years and been in all sorts of positions, hardware, programming, networking, web design, system admin, and for the last half of my career database administration. I would never want a security job in this field. The amount of stuff you have to deal with prepare for and fight fires is absolutely insane. If it has an external IP address, its under constant barrage of attacks all day long. No thanks.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck App Store 2nztoy

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yeah I threw out Hyper-V like Band-Aid. =) I've been in IT for over 30 years and been in all sorts of positions, hardware, programming, networking, web design, system admin, and for the last half of my career database administration. I would never want a security job in this field. The amount of stuff you have to deal with prepare for and fight fires is absolutely insane. If it has an external IP address, its under constant barrage of attacks all day long. No thanks.
I’m not sure how they have the car‘s computer systems structure. I know for example that the console can crash and Autopilot and all of the basic car operation continues without batting an eye. It’s happened to me once in a year of driving but it was oddly impressive. So there is a system behind the system.

Tesla already runs third party apps on their console, all of their games for example. Presumably those apps run in protects space so if they crash they don’t bring down the console.

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
There is a whole API for Tesla. Starting and stopping climate control, popping the frunk (when parked), doors windows. You can also fetch trip data and some supercharger stop data. Some apps let you display current speed and other metrics as well.

My assumption is the apps on the car would use the same or a similar API to the current public one.

One thing I don‘t think many people have considered about this is it is very likely Tesla will roll out a new version of their public API at the same time. The current API isn’t very granular so you can’t grant a trip logging app access to trip data only as one example.
I would prefer if the API is passive and reports data from the vehicle only. I just don't see why a 3rd-party app needs to access your climate control, open your doors, frunk, etc. Allowing 3rd party apps to do this is only going to cause issues and hurt the Tesla brand.

JollyRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, Mini-Cooper S Cab
Country flag
I want the car to come with the essentials included. When Elon is out of the picture, some MBA will for sure monetize everything. I vote to not have an app store in the car and not have to pay through the nose for every little thing.

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
I would like keyboard integration to come back.
And ricing option for the main OS, like the RGB picker recently added, but for more aspects of the system.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
There will be FSD uses we haven't thought of.

ie..
1. Super Uber user ?
Like setting up a video meeting... in this case, we are picking up people to a meeting point.

Getting kids to a camp. Or a sports team to a ground. The team leader sets the goto address and each individual logs in and enters their pickup point and time. They can choose if they are wiling to ride with other team members... or even set waypoints to pick up their mate, so they can go together.

Instead of a bus, teachers can use a central app to pick up kids at school and goto their excursion.. and then return each to their home. It can all be pre-approved by parents using the app.

2. Super courier ?
Can it be used as point to point courier service ? You send a box to a specific person, and at the receiving end the app controls the password and door. It is envisaged now , but could it be far more popular than we realise ?

Imagine a wholesaler sending 4 boxes to a shop and 1 hour later, the shop owner is there to retrieve it from the car... and it's only 2 bucks. 50 cents a box instead of the current $8 per box ?

Lots of need will pop up once it

far out.. Tesla will have a billion cars out there.
Sponsored