Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
But before the crash got to the dummy the Bel Aire does pretty well. If it had had both the strong chassis/body and the modern features would it not have protected the occupant? Of course we want safety above all else but we want to protect the vehicle from incidental damage and vandalism. Can we have both?
Sponsored

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ml350
Occupation
Data Scientist
Country flag
I've been wondering how the Cybertruck's unique front end design will be engineered to crumple at high speeds.

In low speed collisions I imagine just the shorter hood area will crumple. The Cybertruck's front end is similar in length to ICE pickups, but the A-pillar encompasses where the back half of the hood would normally be. I'm curious if this area can be used to lengthen the deceleration time for high speed collisions and house additional structure for the small overlap. I believe the frunk runs under this area. The downside is this would result in intrusion into the frontal dashboard area, so the airbags or some restraint system would need to prevent limbs from reaching this area. Maybe they'll have a subframe, firewall, crossmember, a-pillar reinforcement, or thicker exoskeleton to separate the safety cell from this area and prevent intrusion into the passenger space.

Here's my simple depiction:

(low speed)
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Crash Test Predictions cybertruck_low_speed_crumple_zone

(high speed)
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Crash Test Predictions cybertruck_high_speed_crumple_zone

I'm not a structural or crash safety engineer so I could be completely wrong.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Hey all,

I'm new here and happy to be apart of the Cybertruck "future" owners club.

I've been thinking a lot about how the Cybertruck will do in crash tests. With Tesla having the safest vehicles on the road, I'm hopeful that the Cybertruck will be even safer. Just a few things come to mind with the Cybertruck specifically. With a thick steel exoskeleton, how will the car have any crumple zones?

Would love to hear anyones thoughts on this and their overall crash test prediction!

Best,
Craig
Welcome Craig. As we've discussed in previous threads, those clever engineers at Tesla designed the crumple zone into the other guys' vehicle. This way, the other vehicle is declared a total loss, carry on with your day. Despite the very valid evidence brought by Crissa, I don't see a lot of crumple happening on Cybertruck.
Don't take anything I say too seriously. We're all just trying to stave off insanity while we wait for our Cybertruck. ?

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
We're all just trying to stave off insanity while we wait for our Cybertruck. ?
Some of us more successfully than others. LOL.

I’m one of the less successful ones.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
That's irrelevant. Crumple zones have nothing to do with incidental damage and vandalism.

-Crissa
Not irrelevant, just not part of the OP’s crumple zone question. And did I say otherwise? I want all of the safety features I can get, but I also want the 3mm stainless steel exoskeleton. My question is, can we have both, and your reply went in another direction.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
I’m not over generalizing anything. Heavier = safer. It’s not a myth. Of course there are many other factors. You are not liable for damage to others, unless you are at fault. I’ve yet to hit someone. I have been hit. If I do get hit, I hope my vehicle is as safe as possible.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
I've been wondering how the Cybertruck's unique front end design will be engineered to crumple at high speeds.

In low speed collisions I imagine just the shorter hood area will crumple. The Cybertruck's front end is similar in length to ICE pickups, but the A-pillar encompasses where the back half of the hood would normally be. I'm curious if this area can be used to lengthen the deceleration time for high speed collisions and house additional structure for the small overlap. I believe the frunk runs under this area. The downside is this would result in intrusion into the frontal dashboard area, so the airbags or some restraint system would need to prevent limbs from reaching this area. Maybe they'll have a subframe, firewall, crossmember, a-pillar reinforcement, or thicker exoskeleton to separate the safety cell from this area and prevent intrusion into the passenger space.

Here's my simple depiction:

(low speed)
cybertruck_low_speed_crumple_zone.png

(high speed)
cybertruck_high_speed_crumple_zone.png

I'm not a structural or crash safety engineer so I could be completely wrong.
This will be interesting because I would assume there is going to be a front casting, much like the MY. The fewer the parts the better from Tesla's perspective, so i would think this would be a definite possibility. As you mentioned @Cyber_Starship im not sure what is left from a crumple zone perspective.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Heavier cars are, by far, safer than lighter cars. This is especially true in car-to-car collisions.
I’m not over generalizing anything. Heavier = safer. It’s not a myth.
It is a myth.

...If you ignore single-car incidents and injuries to others, pedestrians for instance. Large vehicles get into more collisions, as well.

So as a system, they are not safer.

-Crissa

CyberOwl

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundation Series AWD, Model 3 RWD, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Foul Owl
Country flag
I'm worried about shear force transfer during a crash. If it's made structural, the battery casing will be subject to massive forces, and will need to be designed to break away before breaking open.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I'm worried about shear force transfer during a crash.
This will be thought about. The material between the cells is supposed to be rigid and fire/thermal runaway suppressing.
And if the section of the vehicle the batteries is in is subject to sheer forces at failure, you're talking about damage that enters the cabin itself.

-Crissa
Sponsored