Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I was looking over the blueprint below and something struck me that I had not noticed before.

Look at how much space is between the steering yoke and the frunk.....that's a HUGE dashboard and a lot wasted space. Do you think the final design will remove some of this?

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck dashboard, wasted space? 1616176367254

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck dashboard, wasted space? 1616176588393
Sponsored

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
To date, I've assumed that many of the non-frunk components that are usually under the front hood would be tucked under the area covered by glass. Meaning that the space between the dash and the front hood would be filled with the octovalve, reservoirs, electronics, etc. that are accessible in the 3/Y after opening the front hood and removing the shroud around the frunk compartment.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I'm very hopeful that Sandy Monroe gets his CT very early in the line so that we can all see the full contents of all the hidden spaces as he pulls it apart to analyze everything. If not, I'll just wait till he does before I start deciding what undercover modifications I may or may not do.

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Yes one of my few complaints about Teslaā€™s design language is the dashboard design in the Y, 3 and CT. Iā€™m one who would trade some of that clean modern look for added functionality and storage. Most ā€œtruck guysā€ agree if you look at the dash and center consoles of trucks from the big 3. I also would enjoy a center display behind the yoke but Iā€™m probably outvoted on this site with that point.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I'm hoping that it's just the needed guts for the truck tucked back there. I usually chuck my cold weather gloves and sunglasses case onto the dash, but it's usually empty on my work truck as is.

I'm also hoping some of that space behind the frunk will have a safety plate so I can store tools and parts in there without worries about an accident, not that the stainless steel skin will give easily.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
As I said I'm my post, hoping that isn't the case and they line it for tools and such. The idea is for this thing to be a tough working truck, so tool storage is pretty important.

That desk/workstation setup is cool though, maybe they can put QuickBooks on my center console and I can run invoices on it.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
As I said I'm my post, hoping that isn't the case and they line it for tools and such. The idea is for this thing to be a tough working truck, so tool storage is pretty important.

That desk/workstation setup is cool though, maybe they can put QuickBooks on my center console and I can run invoices on it.
I believe the initial plans call for locking secure storage bins on the insides of the vault. That where I would want tools if they were heavy at all. And most tools are.

In our Model 3's the frunks are used for coolers (it stays nice and cool in there), groceries and other items that are not too heavy. On the Cybertruck, I think the frunk will comprise less than 5% of the total cargo capacity so not the ideal place for a lot of tools unless you just want to throw a small toolkit or two of handy tools you might need on short notice.

It's a truck, tools go in the back.

Last edited:

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I was looking over the blueprint below and something struck me that I had not noticed before.

Look at how much space is between the steering yoke and the frunk.....that's a HUGE dashboard and a lot wasted space. Do you think the final design will remove some of this?

1616176367254.png

1616176588393.png
Those drawings make it apparent how little space there actually is forward of the footwells once you consider the need for cabin climate ductwork and equipment, front drive motor and suspension, frunk space and steering/brake hardware. The windshield slopes down at quite a sharp angle which continues all the way to the nose of the truck.

It just shows what you can do when you don't have a huge ICE engine and associated equipment crammed up there in front of the cabin.

One thing I dislike intensely on our F-150 is how hot it gets on hot days. When we've been running the truck that whole engine bay and transmission tunnel gets heat-soaked with 180 degree air which then absorbs through the firewall and footwells. If you have boots and long pants on it's not ideal because the air conditioning pump, coolant piping and evaporator tend to also get heat-soaked which reduces output from the A/C right when you need it most. This is a huge problem when stuck in traffic because it's difficult to get enough airflow over the evaporator to cool it sufficiently from all that engine bay heat. So, not only is the A/C output reduced, you can feel the heat soaking through the firewall, footwells and floor/transmission tunnel as you slowly get cooked. It's not an inviting space on hot, sunny days.

I'm looking forward to staying cool as a cucumber in the Cybertruck without all that hot mess crippling the A/C output and absorbing into the cabin. The special infra-red reflecting coatings on the glass roof of the Model 3 does a good job of rejecting solar heat and I bet the glass coatings on the Cybertruck will be equally effective.

But, wasted space? I don't see it.

jhciv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Plaid Cybertruck; First Production Model 3
Country flag
I agree with the previous poster that there is probably a lot of important guts crammed into that space. It's a pretty small nose and there's still frunk space. However, I really hope that the Tesla team doesn't sacrifice utility for the minimalist aesthetic. Truck buyers expect cubbies and thoughtful, useful touches. The R1T and new Canoo truck are great examples of how that can be taken to 11 with the flexibility of an electric power train.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Yes one of my few complaints about Teslaā€™s design language is the dashboard design in the Y, 3 and CT. Iā€™m one who would trade some of that clean modern look for added functionality and storage. Most ā€œtruck guysā€ agree if you look at the dash and center consoles of trucks from the big 3. I also would enjoy a center display behind the yoke but Iā€™m probably outvoted on this site with that point.
I donā€™t think it (a center display behind the yoke) has ever come up here, possibly because there wasnā€™t one in the unveiling. I really doubt anyone would complain if there were to be one, I certainly wouldnā€™t, but Tesla has been moving toward the cleaner interior as it moves closer to autonomous driving, not closer to ancient ICE designs, so I wouldnā€™t hold my breath on that one (Iā€™ve been saying that a lot lately, hmmm).

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Those drawings make it apparent how little space there actually is forward of the footwells once you consider the need for cabin climate ductwork and equipment, front drive motor and suspension, frunk space and steering/brake hardware. The windshield slopes down at quite a sharp angle which continues all the way to the nose of the truck.

It just shows what you can do when you don't have a huge ICE engine and associated equipment crammed up there in front of the cabin.

One thing I dislike intensely on our F-150 is how hot it gets on hot days. When we've been running the truck that whole engine bay and transmission tunnel gets heat-soaked with 180 degree air which then absorbs through the firewall and footwells. If you have boots and long pants on it's not ideal because the air conditioning pump, coolant piping and evaporator tend to also get heat-soaked which reduces output from the A/C right when you need it most. This is a huge problem when stuck in traffic because it's difficult to get enough airflow over the evaporator to cool it sufficiently from all that engine bay heat. So, not only is the A/C output reduced, you can feel the heat soaking through the firewall, footwells and floor/transmission tunnel as you slowly get cooked. It's not an inviting space on hot, sunny days.

I'm looking forward to staying cool as a cucumber in the Cybertruck without all that hot mess crippling the A/C output and absorbing into the cabin. The special infra-red reflecting coatings on the glass roof of the Model 3 does a good job of rejecting solar heat and I bet the glass coatings on the Cybertruck will be equally effective.

But, wasted space? I don't see it.
There is no question that that long dashboard could at least have a much larger than normal ā€˜gloveā€™ compartment and still house lots of HVAC and electronics equipment. What goes on beyond the dash, as mentioned before, will probably be as suggested and in front of the cab wall.

Deke

First Name
Bernard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck order
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I donā€™t think it (a center display behind the yoke) has ever come up here, possibly because there wasnā€™t one in the unveiling. I really doubt anyone would complain if there were to be one, I certainly wouldnā€™t, but Tesla has been moving toward the cleaner interior as it moves closer to autonomous driving, not closer to ancient ICE designs, so I wouldnā€™t hold my breath on that one (Iā€™ve been saying that a lot lately, hmmm).

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I believe the initial plans call for locking secure storage bins on the insides of the vault. That where I would want tools if they were heavy at all. And most tools are.

In our Model 3's the frunks are used for coolers (it stays nice and cool in there), groceries and other items that are not too heavy. On the Cybertruck, I think the frunk will comprise less than 5% of the total cargo capacity so not the ideal place for a lot of tools unless you just want to throw a small toolkit or two of handy tools you might need on short notice.

It's a truck, tools go in the back.
Hmmmmm, not so sure that is right. There is ~2 cubic feet in the Model Y frunk isnā€™t there, and that is 68 cubic feet total (about 3%). The CT has 100 cubic feet total, and that includes the frunk, under the bed, and the 2 wing areas. My guess is that it could go over 5%, maybe only a little bit over - like 6%-7%. That said, I am hoping for a winch option up there somewhere and that would gobble up some space, and I donā€™t think Iā€™d want my tools jangling around up front and making me think something is wrong with the suspension.
Sponsored