- First Name
- A. J.
- Dec 8, 2019
- Reaction score
- Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
- EE (Retired)
He is interested in how far he can go - not how long.At very slow speeds you don't cover much ground per hour so you can drive all day and all night without charging (and then some).
Caution is certainly called for here and any guess is at best a WAG in particular because we will be dealing with a new motor about which we know little. We know it is an IM which means that at first blush it's less efficient than an PMSRM motor but we also know its not the kind of IM we learned about in school.Interesting graphs which make sense seeing the non-drive parasitic loads with rolling resistance versus drivetrain loads only reach equilibrium at 40kmh, where aero is still insignificant.
But at lower speeds like 6mph (10kmh) there is are not many data points in those graphs so I'd be wary of making to many assumptions.
Impossible, in fact but what he really wants to know is whether he can run his cable business with a CT. He is talking about 6 mph. If he is doing 10 hour days that's 60 miles. Let's assume the EPA rating is 500 Wh/mi and that efficiency is 20% worse at 6 mph. That means consumption of 625 Wh/mi 37.5 kWh or 18% of a 200 kWh battery. If he plugs in equipment which takes 2 kW average draw in a 10 hr shift that's another 20 kWh (10%). If he runs the air conditioner or heater the whole time that's another 10%. Knocking the traditional 10% off each end he will have used 60% of his battery leaving himself 40% to get back to the shop. That's 200 miles worth. So it's clear he can accomplish his mission. But I get the sense he is more intrigued by the idea of modeling this more than by desire for this simple answer.What would be interesting to see in comparison is parasitic loads in a stationary vehicle in the same temperature conditions to plot against a speed/range graph. So actually harder to estimate than it looks like for such low speeds.
I'm sure you have seen the various calculations that have been done for the hypothetical solar tonneau. Above we calculated that at 6 mph in a 10 hr shift he might use 37.5 kWh for just traction. No tonneau is going to cover that - even in a place where the sun shines every day.In a ideal world without parasitic loads the range would be infinite with a solar vault cover, (you can push a CT along by hand after all - like most cars) But it's unlikely the parasitic loads can be reduced that far.
Mine takes about 100W. In a 10 hr shift that's half a percent of a 200 kWh battery. I draw more than the average (which is about half that) because I have two logging apps pinging her for data.Does anyone know how much the self discharge is of a parked Tesla?
That depends on what you have on with the long pole in the tent being cabin and battery temperature conditioning loads.And then one with "ignition on" but not in drive?