HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I think they meant, Tesla charges. A lower MSRP and disables those features.

Then you pay for them separately after purchase.

Which would allow you to get the credit because your MSRP was under the cap.

I don't see it happening but yea
I see what you're saying but I don't see that as being allowed under current rules. If the hardware is attached to the car, even if it's not capable of being activated until after the purchase, the price of those options would have to be included (because you are paying for the hardware).

FSD is different because the cameras and computing power are included for standard features like traffic aware cruise control, Autopilot and other safety features like Automatic Emergency Braking, etc. When you buy FSD, you are paying for the Software, so FSD price is not included in MSRP for purposes of the tax credit. Doing it how you suggest would amount to an illegal skirting of the IRS rules.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I see what you're saying but I don't see that as being allowed under current rules. If the hardware is attached to the car, even if it's not capable of being activated until after the purchase, the price of those options would have to be included (because you are paying for the hardware).

FSD is different because the cameras and computing power are included for standard features like traffic aware cruise control, Autopilot and other safety features like Automatic Emergency Braking, etc. When you buy FSD, you are paying for the Software, so FSD price is not included in MSRP for purposes of the tax credit. Doing it how you suggest would amount to an illegal skirting of the IRS rules.
But by lowering the MSRP you are still buying the hardware. Tesla wouldn't own the hardware.

Paying after would unlock the software controlling the hardware.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
But by lowering the MSRP you are still buying the hardware. Tesla wouldn't own the hardware.

I get that, I'm just saying that would likely be ruled as a skirting of the rules and disallowed.

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag

I think the hardware is on all vehicles. That is how they can offer a monthly subscription for FSD.

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I think the hardware is on all vehicles. That is how they can offer a monthly subscription for FSD.
Right. Our convo was about possibly software locking other features like how they do with FSD. Or acceleration boost

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
It has been discussed here heavily, but the consesnus is that fsd does not count as an installed option because its software
Sponsored