Cybertruck front casting might need 8-ton casting press instead of 6-ton

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
--------------

I once thought that the front and rear castings could be the same but it doesn't make sense. The rear casting requires the 8K-ton gigapress because it has to be much beefier to hold the weight of the bed and for towing; the front doesn't.

I agree the rear has that requirement. But if the intent is to kick ass in Baja, the front may need to be similarly strong. It wouldn’t surprise me if Elon’s personal passion project had been engineered for specifications well beyond what we might expect. Not saying it’s true, just that it wouldn’t surprise me.

Cybertruck front casting might need 8-ton casting press instead of 6-ton.

Cybertruck might need stronger front casting than is used on cars because of

Winch

Snow plow blade

Snow blower

Many police cars, road service trucks, farm trucks have mounted on front - push bar, bully bar, brush bar

Moose / kangaroo / deer guard

Front hitches

Baja & other off-roading when truck is jumping bumps (catching air) it can land with front-end crashing wheels into the ground first putting a lot more stress in the front-end than city street vehicles experience.

------------------------------

Curt front hitches for
Winch mount
Hitch step
Tow hook
Cargo carrier
Hitch - great for maneuvering a trailer in to tight spaces
https://www.curtmfg.com/trailer-hitches/front-mount/learn-more

Why do people put a hitch on the front of a truck?
With a trailer coupled to the front of your vehicle, instead of the rear, you have more direct control over its movement. A front receiver hitch allows you to more easily park a trailer into a tight spot. It is also great for use at the boat landing, allowing you to maneuver the trailer with enhanced control.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck front casting might need 8-ton casting press instead of 6-ton Truck_CURT_Front_Hitch_Parking_Boat_Trailer

SnowVac Front Mounted SnowBlowers
https://www.snowvac.com/press.php

AgTalk - Front hitch's on pickup's
Putting hitch's on the front on some pickups to be able pull them behind implements in the spring and fall.
https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=589123&DisplayType=flat&setCookie=1

Flame Engineering - Agricultural Hitches
https://flameengineering.com/collections/hitches

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck front casting might need 8-ton casting press instead of 6-ton tractor_truck_300x

2021 Ford F-150 Police Responder pickup truck gets faster, smarter, more capable.
Looks like a pedestrian F-150 pickup truck aside from the front brush bar, police lights
By Joel Feder
March 16, 2021
https://www.motorauthority.com/news...pickup-truck-gets-faster-smarter-more-capable

2021 Ford F-150 Police Responder pickup truck
https://www.ford.com/police-vehicles/f150-police-truck/

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck front casting might need 8-ton casting press instead of 6-ton 2021-ford-f-150_100785534_l
2021 Ford F-150 Police Responder

Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

HUGE F-150 jump!
Ford sending it big at silver lake sand dunes! Jump by Matthew Balkema out of Kalamazoo, Mi
Jul 25, 2021
Burger billy burnouts

THE BIGGEST STOCK FORD RAPTOR DUNE JUMP YOU'VE EVER SEEN
May 2, 2021
Austin Fredericks

What happened at the end to the raptor?
Austin Fredericks: Nothing really, the stance from the tires hit his fenders a little but nothing bad

Stock 2017 Ford Raptor - World's Best Flying Truck driven by some guy named Ken
Jun 4, 2018
Ford Nepal

From the Dealer to the Desert in The 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor ! Off Road with the Ford Raptor
Nov 6, 2020
CarMax

2020 Ford Raptor: How To Properly Jump A Raptor ( Baja Mode )!
Jul 27, 2020
Ben Hardy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I really want to see a CT4 doing this stuff.

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Winch

Snow plow blade

Snow blower

Many police cars, road service trucks, farm trucks have mounted on front - push bar, bully bar, brush bar

Front hitches

Baja & other off-roading when truck is jumping bumps (catching air) it can land with front-end crashing wheels into the ground first putting a lot more stress in the front-end than city street vehicles experience.
Exactly Reg, make it a real men's truck. If you are going to be pulling big things, you should also be able to be pushing/pulling them to.

As you know, I had been posting about snow plows capabilities being from Canada, but you are correct all these other pushing applications (i.e., "use cases") are valid and I would say even needed. If you are going to be in a trail you need a winch too.

If you are going to bring some CyberTrucks to Mars may as well get them made here and tested here for good by all of us. I volunteer!

The following is interesting:

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck front casting might need 8-ton casting press instead of 6-ton Exco Technologies Limited from Canada

Exco Technologies Limited – innovation, efficiency and quality (excocorp.com)

Last edited:

YeahYeahYeah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tundra(sold),02 Subaru Outback,1967 Fastback
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Lame...what's the point of jumping? to look stupid? Look's like children watching inmature children playing for stupid prizes. How about shooting 9mm at the "Raptor" on approach to the takeoff see how it gets bulletholes in the tough "Raptor"

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You know that a Cybertruck won't have its nose sink like that after a jump?

Balanced weight. Active suspension.

-Crissa
In my view, it is not about jumping, it is about doing SOLID work from the front end.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
--------------

Winch

Snow plow blade

Snow blower

Front hitches

Curt front hitches for
Winch mount
Hitch step
Tow hook
Cargo carrier
Hitch - great for maneuvering a trailer in to tight spaces
https://www.curtmfg.com/trailer-hitches/front-mount/learn-more

Why do people put a hitch on the front of a truck?
With a trailer coupled to the front of your vehicle, instead of the rear, you have more direct control over its movement. A front receiver hitch allows you to more easily park a trailer into a tight spot. It is also great for use at the boat landing, allowing you to maneuver the trailer with enhanced control.

Truck_CURT_Front_Hitch_Parking_Boat_Trailer.jpg

SnowVac Front Mounted SnowBlowers
https://www.snowvac.com/press.php

AgTalk - Front hitch's on pickup's
Putting hitch's on the front on some pickups to be able pull them behind implements in the spring and fall.
https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=589123&DisplayType=flat&setCookie=1

Flame Engineering - Agricultural Hitches
https://flameengineering.com/collections/hitches

tractor_truck_300x.jpg

2021 Ford F-150 Police Responder pickup truck gets faster, smarter, more capable.
Looks like a pedestrian F-150 pickup truck aside from the front brush bar, police lights
By Joel Feder
March 16, 2021
https://www.motorauthority.com/news...pickup-truck-gets-faster-smarter-more-capable

2021 Ford F-150 Police Responder pickup truck
https://www.ford.com/police-vehicles/f150-police-truck/

2021-ford-f-150_100785534_l.jpg
2021 Ford F-150 Police Responder

I wish the amateur engineers would leave the engineering up to the professionals - the force rating of the Gigapress has nothing to do with the strength of the casting. A casting press with more force is needed to make larger castings. The strength of the casting will be determined by many things including how many ribs they design it with, how deep the ribs are and the alloy chosen. The pressure of the casting press will be determined by the size of the piece, not how strong it needs to be. Tesla has access to the top materials science experts in the world. Top talent.

Implying that you know more than they about which kind of press they need to make which parts is the height of ridiculousness.

This is a dumb thread.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The strength of the casting is related to the force of the casting machine. Because the mass and surface area of the casting, and therefore the resulting strength, is related to the force required to cast it.

That said, the front casting is still going to be physically shorter, because it doesn't hold a 6 1/2 foot bed. We don't need to be engineers to make educated guesses at what the final choices will be.

-Crissa

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I wish the amateur engineers would leave the engineering up to the professionals - the force rating of the Gigapress has nothing to do with the strength of the casting. A casting press with more force is needed to make larger castings. The strength of the casting will be determined by many things including how many ribs they design it with, how deep the ribs are and the alloy chosen. The pressure of the casting press will be determined by the size of the piece, not how strong it needs to be. Tesla has access to the top materials science experts in the world. Top talent.

Implying that you know more than they about which kind of press they need to make which parts is the height of ridiculousness.

This is a dumb thread.
Bad assumption dud. I have worked in metal fabrication industry for over 20 years and been involved with a couple projects where we used metal castings ( aluminum or steel) for huge industrial equipment we built. I know some things but I am certainly not an expert (Are you ??).
I certainly have not claimed to know more than the Tesla & SpaceX teams.

I agree that just the pressure of 8-ton is not everything involved but that is the only size specification we are given so I referred to them as 8-ton & 6-ton as most people have.

The main point of my original post is that Cybertruck front-end might need a larger and thicker casting from the 8-ton machine than the castings used in Model Y. Just like the 6-ton can not make the larger rear-end castings need for the Cybertruck.

Also the Cybertruck castings might use a different aluminum alloy that might be thicker or harder to flow though and might not work in the 6-ton machine.

Last edited:

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bad assumption dud. I have worked in metal fabrication industry for over 20 years and been involved with a couple projects where we used metal castings ( aluminum or steel) for huge industrial equipment we built. I know some things but I am certainly not an expert (Are you ??).
I certainly have not claimed to know more than the Tesla & SpaceX teams.

I agree that just the pressure of 8-ton is not everything involved but that is the only size specification we are given so I referred to them as 8-ton & 6-ton as most people have.

The main point of my original post is that Cybertruck front-end might need a larger and thicker casting from the 8-ton machine than the castings used in Model Y. Just like the 6-ton can not make the larger rear-end castings need for the Cybertruck.

Also the Cybertruck castings might use a different aluminum alloy that might be thicker or harder to flow though and might not work in the 6-ton machine.
Sigh....I guess you should apply at Tesla so you can help them pick the correct casting machine for the Cybertruck.

You might not know this but engineers and materials scientists from Tesla and SpaceX have been working jointly with IDRA to develop the line of high-pressure casting machines they need over the last 3 years. Have you considered applying so you can help them out?

The material posted in this thread seems to imply that the Ford Raptor is a tough truck and that Tesla doesn't understand the kind of forces involved in the front end as evidenced by their selection of a 6-ton machine over an 8-ton machine. So I'll repeat:

This is a dumb thread.

Last edited:

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The strength of the casting is related to the force of the casting machine. Because the mass and surface area of the casting, and therefore the resulting strength, is related to the force required to cast it.

That said, the front casting is still going to be physically shorter, because it doesn't hold a 6 1/2 foot bed. We don't need to be engineers to make educated guesses at what the final choices will be.

-Crissa
My point was that an educated, back-of-the-napkin guess will never be better than an actual structural analysis. This thread intends to put doubts in people's mind that Tesla understands trucks well enough to be trusted to make good engineering decisions. I mean, why else would they spec a 6-ton machine for the front when the back needs an 8-ton machine?

Because only real truck users know that the front-end gets a workout too! ?

This thread is beyond dumb.

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Sigh....I guess you should apply at Tesla so you can help them pick the correct casting machine for the Cybertruck.

You might not know this but engineers and materials scientists from Tesla and SpaceX have been working jointly with IDRA to develop the line of high-pressure casting machines they need over the last 3 years. Have you considered applying so you can help them out?
I too know that Tesla and SpaceX have been working jointly with IDRA (Italy) and LK Group (China).

Did you really read my post. I said Tesla and SpaceX were the experts.
I do not think I have said anything that contradicts what Tesla and SpaceX have proposed.

The main reason I posted this thread was some forum members were speculating that Cybertruck production could be done using one 8-ton for rear casting and a 6-ton for front casting.

The overall question was which size casting machines and how many casting machines are needed to make a certain volume of trucks a year based on casting machine production volume.

My point was that the larger 8-ton casting machines might be needed for the front casting too.

The material posted in this thread seems to imply that the Ford Raptor is a tough truck and that Tesla doesn't understand the kind of forces involved in the front end as evidenced by their selection of a 6-ton machine over an 8-ton machine.
I posted the Ford Raptor pics because we have NO Cybertruck pics of the Cybertruck doing Baja or even lower level off-roading.

Elon himself said Cybertruck would be able to do some Baja off-roading. We do not know what level of Baja he meant.

The Ford Raptor pics are to show readers who know nothing of off-roading some of the punishment the front-end of the trucks might take.
Most all people assume a truck's rear-end must be very tough but when off-roading the truck's front-end needs to be extra tough too.

Based on what Elon said I expect Cybertruck to equal or better than the Ford Raptor in regards to off-roading. Anyway I hope the Cybertruck is better.

Whatever happens, if I can I will be buying a Cybertruck because of the stainless steel body, FSD and more, and there is almost ZERO chance I will ever buy any Ford or Chevy truck.

So I'll repeat:
This is a dumb thread.
This is the second time I explained the point of this post.
It certainly was not to bash Tesla/ SpaceX / Elon thinking I know better than them.
I personally think Elon is a genius.
It certainly was not that I think Ford Raptor will be better than Cybertruck.

Maybe this thread is not dumb but just that you don't understand the thread.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
They haven't specced anything public about the front end. We don't even know if it'll have a casting at all!

We just have back of the napkin, educated guesses. And that's all an engineer who isn't on the team would have, too.

-Crissa
Sponsored