Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
it has to do with the repatriation treaty between the United Kingdom and China. Hong Kong was previously a British colony after the a first Opium War and on a 99 year lease.HK was returned to China in 97 or 98 with the proviso that it be self-governing (keeping their Western-style democracy). It was called a One Country, 2 government policy (if I am not mistaken). Lots of Hong Kongers fled before repatriation knowing the Communist government would eventually change their minds. See current events.
That's right. A 100 year lease but in total a 156 year occupation of Chinese territory. Did you know that the 100 year lease didn't include language that after it's over the lessee gets to demand additional concessions? Even TheLastStarFighter's rebuttal that there is no Chinese victim says that they "conceded" to allow fully owned foreign factories in their country to get Trump to relax the American trade "WAR".
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I keep forgetting that on the internet one has to be very, very literal. Attempts at humor often go astray. No, of course a quad nand gate can't call home. But you may be aware that there was much concern about allowing US carriers to install Huwawei 5G equipment in the US because it is known that the Chinese government does collect intelligence via this sort of Trojan horse .

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
The supply chain is an issue if critical components are being produced in China. It is a fact that China has injected malware or other nefarious software onto chips they manufacture. Very nefarious software. Think along the lines of what we did to Iran’s centrifuges.
Very nefarious. Agree Elon needs to be really careful here.
China did to Iran's centrifuges? Every security researcher I know and trust says that Stuxnet has the earmarks of a US & Israeli joint project. Delivered over USB thumb drives. The evidence is in the code.

And the US has been caught tampering with and spying on international communications as well as pushing for and financing the over throw of legitimate governments (like say, Iran). Stones and glass houses and all that.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
China did to Iran's centrifuges? Every security researcher I know and trust says that Stuxnet has the earmarks of a US & Israeli joint project. Delivered over USB thumb drives. The evidence is in the code.
It's called an analogy or example.

-Crissa

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The US would never do that. "Gentlemen don't read each others mail." - Henry L. Stimson

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
I'll need a cite on that.

But if China raised their GDP per capita to the US's... They would have over 80 trillion in GDP. The rest of the world only has about 65 trillion. So that's pretty close.

That's not a threat. That's a hope. Can you imagine 1.4 billion more people buying iPhones and playing Xbox and watching Marvel movies at the same prices we are?

If they did, the US's economy would balloon.

I'll need a cite on that, too. China invested a huge amount in 2007-2010 into building an industry to attract foreign investment in their EV market. It wasn't walled off. Tesla has been selling cars there since the beginning. They didn't have the money for the Gigafactory until 2018 and the success of the model 3 in the US.

-Crissa
It was walled off.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...ll-foreign-ownership-auto-industry/523289002/

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
...But they could still sell their EVs in China. And local partnerships for new industries is common for China to require. See also, the thread about the US and the UK forcing China to allow them to sell under the threat of guns. It was even called 'gunboat diplomacy' here in the US. It was not good. Hence their modern policy.

This isn't new, or different. Your cite doesn't prove your statement, "Electric car companies were allowed access first in 2018."

-Crissa

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
...But they could still sell their EVs in China. And local partnerships for new industries is common for China to require. See also, the thread about the US and the UK forcing China to allow them to sell under the threat of guns. It was even called 'gunboat diplomacy' here in the US. It was not good. Hence their modern policy.

This isn't new, or different. Your cite doesn't prove your statement, "Electric car companies were allowed access first in 2018."

-Crissa
He said Tesla built the first factory. Foreign companies couldn't own car factories in China until 2018. He said something along the lines of it being because they respected Chinese culture. That's not true, it was the result of trade negotiations and electric car companies were the first to gain access. Traditional makers still can't own factories there, but will be able to in 2022.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I wasn't worried. IT WAS A JOKE!!!

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
That's not all he said, but this is a good point, too. EVs are ahead of ICE in the queue.

-Crissa
He said "Tesla has a fully foreign owned factory in China and that is a first, probably because they are the first to not try to screw the Chinese. "

I was explaining that no, it is because fully foreign-owned factories weren't allowed. It's fairly straightforward.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
He said "Tesla has a fully foreign owned factory in China and that is a first, probably because they are the first to not try to screw the Chinese. "

I was explaining that no, it is because fully foreign-owned factories weren't allowed. It's fairly straightforward.
What I was replying to was:
...concession for Trump easing the trade war was to allow foreign car companies entry. Electric car companies were allowed access first in 2018, all manufacturers will be allowed in 2022.
What was written was 'entry', not 'fully foreign owned factories' even if that's what was meant. There's a bunch of missing words there, apparently.

-Crissa
Sponsored