alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Hurry up my 2010 F350 with 200,000 miles may not last untill my cyber truck is ready... Specially considering my place in line.. Somewhere around 240,000...LOL... Patiently waiting Elon./..
Only 200k on a 350? That's not even broken in!
Sponsored

Sputter

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Itā€˜s very exciting to have two announcements regarding the Cybertruck in one week (stainless steel recipe shakeup and the factory location). We have been clamoring for any official news regarding our trucks and itā€™s been slim pickings lately.

I think all of the members on here saw this announcement coming. TX had the incentives, workforce, weather and is a desirable place to live.

Curious how far the building contractor will be along by December 31st of this year. I am sure this will foster competition between the Austin Gigafactory 5 and Berlin Gigafactory 4. Hereā€™s a brief summary of the Berlin factory;

Tesla Gigafactory 4 (aka Tesla Giga Berlin) at brief:

• located in the Berlin-area (in GrĆ¼nheide, Brandenburg, Germany), near the new airport
  • to produce Model 3/Y starting in 2021 with the Model Y
  • will produce also batteries (for sure modules/packs) and powertrains
  • expected volume of 500,000 annually (unofficial target), initially 150,000
  • expected investment of ā‚¬4 billion (unofficial). Austin factory will cost $1.1 billion.
  • expected 10,000 jobs (unofficial). Austin will employ 5,000.
Hmmm...interesting: the Texas factory will have only 5,000 employees to produce the Y, the cybertruck and the semi. In Berlin, they will have 10,000 employees to produce only the Y. How do you figure?

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Austin has a great university with a great engineering school. Even John B. Goodenough resides there.
After listening to the 2nd quarter comments earlier there were multiple occasions where Musk and others were begging for the best engineers.
I hope young engineers nationwide take notice!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_B._Goodenough

And just down the road is Rice University also with great engineering and nanotechnology programs.

Metallica1776

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 ford F-350, 2013 Ford F-250 Econoline coming soon the Cybertruck
Occupation
Sales Manager, Small Engine and Power Equipment Technician. Auto Technician
Country flag
Considering I plow with it all winter and tow with it all summer she has been one hell of a truck.. Not diesel though.. Gas...

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Hmmm...interesting: the Texas factory will have only 5,000 employees to produce the Y, the cybertruck and the semi. In Berlin, they will have 10,000 employees to produce only the Y. How do you figure?
Volume?

ELCTRUK

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.elctruk.com
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri Motor AWD w/FSD
Country flag
Gigafactory Texas

Gigafactory Texas is official! Tesla's Q2 earnings call has just kicked off and Elon Musk has just announced that the next gigafactory will be just outside Austin, Texas.

"It's basically going to be an ecological paradise" that's open to the public, he says.​

The [Gigafactory] location is five minutes from Austin International National Airport and 15 minutes from Downtown Austin. Itā€™s about 2,000 acres.ā€

Gigafactory Texas will produce the Cybertruck and Semi for worldwide distribution, as well as the Model 3 and Y for the Eastern U.S. Construction of the new factory has already begun this past weekend.

The factory will encompass 4 to 5-million square footprint at a cost of $1.1 billion.

Musk thanked Tulsa and Oklahoma and noted on the call that he and the team were ā€œsuper impressedā€ by the state and would consider it for a future site.

Tesla has promised Texas officials it will employ at least 5,000 people. About 25 of those workers are categorized as ā€œqualifyingā€ jobs and would be paid a minimum of $74,050, while the remaining would be middle income jobs with an annual salary of $47,147.

The Del Valle School District was the first to approve incentives for Tesla in a property tax abatement package worth $46.6 million. Commissioners in Travis County followed the districtā€™s lead. The county approved July 14 property tax breaks worth at least $14.7 million ā€” and potentially more ā€” over 10 years.

Under terms of the agreement with Travis County, Tesla must invest $1.1 billion in the new factory within the first five years. In exchange, Travis County will rebate 70% of the property taxes Tesla will pay. Once Teslaā€™s investment in the factory eclipses that $1.1 billion mark, the property taxes rebates will increase to 75%. Any investments in the factory beyond $2 billion, will give Tesla 80% in property tax rebates.

Travis County has estimated that a $1.1 billion investment by Tesla would generated $8.8 million in new tax revenue over a 10-year period, a figure that takes into account the property tax rebates.

If Tesla fails to hit the investment goal or if its falls 75% short of its jobs requirement in any year, the company wonā€™t receive any property tax relief. The county will also have the ability to recoup tax rebates if Tesla breaches its contract.

Together, Tesla will receive at least $61 million in property tax abatement. Itā€™s possible that Tesla could receive more from the state.

New Compact Vehicle

Musk also said that a new compact vehicle is expected to join the lineup in the future.

"Reasonable to assume we will make a compact vehicle and a high capacity vehicle. A long way to go with 3, Y, CyberTruck, Semi." said Musk on the call.​

Gigafactory Texas Cybertruck factory production plant.jpeg
Yeeeeesssssssssssssssssss!!!!! Sweet Victory for Texas!

Joe Maw

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fairlane
Occupation
Miner
Country flag
Great news the CT will be built in the heart of USA truck country,so happy with this news.

drag0nfish27

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck
Occupation
network engineer
Country flag
we all knew it was a Texas.

About time they announced it. Now start some construction already. Like tomorrow.

Gigafactory Texas will produce the Cybertruck and Semi for worldwide distribution, as well as the Model 3 and Y for the Eastern U.S. Construction of the new factory has already begun this past weekend.

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Hybrid Corolla, F250
Occupation
Retired Underground Coal Miner
Country flag
Ohhh... but the operating costs start increasing dramatically right about that mileage. Injectors, turbos, starters, fuel pumps all begin to fail right about then. I had to let my last Ford go simply because of operating cost, I couldnā€™t afford to keep that truck any longer.

ƆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Makes me think of an interesting parallel, where Jack Daniels whiskey is made in Lynchburg Tennessee inside of a dry county, where it is not allowed to be sold or purchased, only shipped out.

Texas has not been kind to Tesla at all, both in refusing to allow direct sales in the state, and also threatening the ban of Tesla Service Centers via the language in a proposed bill early last year. Fortunately, that did not become Texas law. So the parallel here is that Tesla Cybertrucks will be made in Texas, but you won't be able to 'buy' them at a Tesla store in Texas? and will have to get them via 'online purchase' For Texans, test drives prior to purchase would have to be done in another state? If Texas doesn't change this after what Elon is doing and has done for them, then IMO he should reconsider Tulsa - just sayin'...

But on another concern this is fantastic for everyone if Elon and the Tesla team have done thorough environmental research on the land purchased. Currently IMO there is 'quite a ways' to go for this land area to become an "ecological paradise". There are massive sewage ponds adjacent to the southwest corner and South Austin Regional Wastewater treatment right outside the southeast boundary.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Has a Texas Home! Musk Announces Gigafactory Texas For Cybertruck Production! 1595508756836

The stench from these types of ponds can be nearly unbearable. It's very disturbing these waste processing facilities are right on the Colorado River too. These ponds are still plainly visible on Google maps ( https://www.google.com/maps/place/D...cf79d122!8m2!3d30.2091069!4d-97.6472349?hl=en ). There is also the history of toxic wastes known in the area which had to be cleaned up when the airport was built from repurposed Bergstrom AFB.

So if Elon and team have done the due diligence and thorough research to assure they can make this area an "ecological paradise", then that's a win-win for everybody.

Not trying to put 'acid rain' on anybody's parade of excitement (I'm excited too) but these are real factors hopefully they've considered.
Sponsored

Last edited: