Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Surprising, eh? I had to buy a 10 foot utility trailer to move my Fatboy (from Denver to California). Uhaul only had 8 footers, and they're actually a tad too short!
My old bike would fit in the UHaul trailer, but not the new one…

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Unfortunately, I no longer have the pic which had a view of the hinges.

To me, it looked strong enough, so a forklift driver could load a normal pallet and push straight in, without having to maneuver over it.

I have a forklift license and have loaded trucks. And Utes.

For those who have never seen it.. to avoid the drop gate, the forklift driver would insert the forks only far enough to lift the pallet, leaving part of the fork outside the load, creating an extension to drop the pallet. For a good forklift driver, it's a balancing act.

Not only will the strong gate reduce owner stress worrying about damaging the vehicle, but it is safer and faster to load.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Unfortunately, I no longer have the pic which had a view of the hinges.

To me, it looked strong enough, so a forklift driver could load a normal pallet and push straight in, without having to maneuver over it.

I have a forklift license and have loaded trucks. And Utes.

For those who have never seen it.. to avoid the drop gate, the forklift driver would insert the forks only far enough to lift the pallet, leaving part of the fork outside the load, creating an extension to drop the pallet. For a good forklift driver, it's a balancing act.

Not only will the strong gate reduce owner stress worrying about damaging the vehicle, but it is safer and faster to load.
The prototype at The Petersen museum had MASSIVE hinges. Here's a photo I took of the bent pointy end of that sail door. But the hinges are clearly in view.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck hauling big motorcycle (Honda Adventure) in its bed damage

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I'm not a Gold wing kinda rider. I've never owned a bike that I couldn't drag a knee puck on. However, ...
Dude, don't under-estimate your skill. It's possible to drag a knee on anything if you try.

I can't do it, but others totally can.

Somewhere on YouTube is a video of a guy dragging knee in a 15mph circle on a goldwing. Unnecessary, sure, but possible. Of course, dragging is always unnecessary, so... ^-^

2. You DO have to leave them tucked in when it's cold and your significant other likes to snatch the covers. My wife sure does.
I bought an oversized thermal blanket just for that occasion. (She's tucked in.)

-Crissa

SoCalSteve

First Name
SoCalSteve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Exige, Mark VIII, Countryman, Rune, X (Ultra Red)
Occupation
Industrial & Systems Engineer
Country flag
Dude, don't under-estimate your skill. It's possible to drag a knee on anything if you try.
So True!
When I did my MST at the Honda Rider Education Center in Colton, CA, someone said, I can't ride my bike like I can one of these training bikes. We waited as the instructor pulled out a full-loaded gullwing and proceeded to run the entire course, intentionally leaning so hard that the exhaust scraped on every turn. If you ever thought nails on a chalkboard were bad, this had it beat 100 times over.

dempster

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model 3, 2021 Model Y, Cybertruck preoder
Country flag
The prototype at The Petersen museum had MASSIVE hinges. Here's a photo I took of the bent pointy end of that sail door. But the hinges are clearly in view.

damage.jpg
Do we have any views similar to this for the RC units that are driving around? Those hinges look heavy duty.

Wondering if those made it to production, or were they required due to the added weight of the ramp..

Edit:

Looks like the plastic does a pretty good job of covering them... guess we have to wait and find out
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck hauling big motorcycle (Honda Adventure) in its bed 1698672913973

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Do we have any views similar to this for the RC units that are driving around? Those hinges look heavy duty.

Wondering if those made it to production, or were they required due to the added weight of the ramp..
yes - and they're not built like this; appear to be built like a traditional tailgate (eg pins on either end)

the peterson prototype approach to the hinges i dont think would have ever worked: trucks need to be able to haul gravel and other debris, and that prototype setup would have been a problem

dempster

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model 3, 2021 Model Y, Cybertruck preoder
Country flag
yes - and they're not built like this; appear to be built like a traditional tailgate (eg pins on either end)

the peterson prototype approach to the hinges i dont think would have ever worked: trucks need to be able to haul gravel and other debris, and that prototype setup would have been a problem

Yeah, that makes sense.. That does look like a disaster waiting to happen with debris. good point

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Yeah, that makes sense.. That does look like a disaster waiting to happen with debris. good point
I suspect that prototype needed those massive, steel (?) hinges to support the weight of the tailgate+ramp and its functionality

indicative, in its lesson, as to why the ramp didn’t make it to the production model

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I suspect that prototype needed those massive, steel (?) hinges to support the weight of the tailgate+ramp and its functionality

indicative, in its lesson, as to why the ramp didn’t make it to the production model
The biggest difference, and reason for those massive hinges to me, was there weren't any cables to help support the tailgate in the lowered position. Without cables or any kind of restraints. All the weight including an electric quad, had to be supported by those hinges.
BTW, here's another photo I took showing that massive tailgate without any restraints.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck hauling big motorcycle (Honda Adventure) in its bed ram

Last edited:

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag

I can't do it, but others totally can.

Somewhere on YouTube is a video of a guy dragging knee in a 15mph circle on a goldwing. Unnecessary, sure, but possible. Of course, dragging is always unnecessary, so... ^-^

I bought an oversized thermal blanket just for that occasion. (She's tucked in.)

-Crissa
Yep you can drag a knee on anything, just may involve a slide afterward! I can drag my floorboards on my Indian Challenger, but minimize that for obvious reasons! But the true test - there's a current video of a guy off-roading on a Goldwing...

Last edited: