azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
Don’t do the so called “safe driver” option offered by most insurance companies. This is the nanny you plug in to the OBD port. Did this on a Prius and got insurance jacked by Progressive ... ya you heard right a Prius. No accidents or claims in at least 40 years but my sharp turns or stops to avoid a neighborhood crazy dog (almost daily) got me in doo doo.
When I was with State Farm they gave you the option of the plug in tool, what you posted came to mind my rates are already low so ignored it
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
If you want to know if one of those tools will work for you, there are a bunch of phone-apps that use the accelerometer to check your driving habits for fuel efficiency. That should tell you if it'll work out.

For me, I live in the mountains and it hates the exits from the freeway because I have to stop from a steep downhill into an uphill at the offramp. It's just the slope that makes it so sharp of a stop, I'm not using extra brake or gas, but...

-Crissa

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I drive a loaded top trim crew cab pickup about 7 years old.

I live in Louisiana and we have horrible insurance rates compared to most states.

I went online to get a quote on Geico. I have checked around in the past and they always have lowest rates.

If I buy a brand new loaded traditional crew cab my annual insurance goes up about an extra $400 a year over what I pay now.

No cybertruck to quote but picked a new model Y. My insurance would go up an extra $2,400 a year above what I already pay now. The model 3 was not any cheaper.

I have a preordered the rwd thinking it would be a nice value play for something different and practical. Some nice tech, help the environment and practical etc

Looking at insurance rates was kind of a buzz kill. It might be a practical vehicle in many ways, but to insurance companies it seems they rate them like I am buying a new Porsche.

At those rates, if they are similar for cybertruck, you might as well buy the top model if you are going to buy. Why pay so much in insurance to not have the performance model?

I can see why Tesla is starting to sell their own insurance in some states.

You might want to get a quote on a Tesla in your state, if you have not considered insurance costs.

I really wish I was making this up or exaggerating, but I am not. I checked the quotes online myself. I did not check other insurance companies, but geico has always had great rates.

Addendum:

I looked online and some people say progressive might be the cheapest. They are usually never lower than geico and state farm for those with good records etc but for Tesla’s they might be.
Auto insurance liability cost is the same regardless of the vehicle. It’s the comprehensive cost part that depends on the cost to repair it? I’m not sure about the comprehensive information, since I only carry the liability part.

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
Glad I am sufficiently higher in line that all the quirks will be, hopefully, worked out.

Keep us apprised of what problems arise and how they were worked out.

Hehehehe

AlexCrowlen

First Name
Alexandr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model X
Occupation
I am the director of the Kuplin network of car services
Country flag
I wonder how many insurance companies are in bed with big oil in some way. Shared board members, shared ownership, invested in funds, etc. There are a variety of non-obvious ways that companies could be linked.
Oh you have no idea, when I found out, I was a little surprised.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Our Model Y bumped our rates up with our old policy. We shopped around and got the rate cut in half at Progressive. They gave us a discount for the Tesla's safety features.

If your insurance company quotes you a high a dollar amount, shop around.

No idea what the Cybertruck will be like. I'm hoping Tesla Insurance gets their stuff together and opens doors in Oregon soon.

Ginger

First Name
Virginia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus hybrid
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
I have been with USAA for a long time.
We have the farm and all vehicles insured with them and get a discount for doing so.
No one has ever beaten their prices.
Unless Tesla offers lower rates I'll stick with USAA.
We had USAA for many years. Loved it. Another bennie of my time in Uncle Sam's Army! Then we moved just 12 miles away from our previous house and because of all the fires at that time USAA was not ensuring any homes in California! We are in La Quinta-very far from the fires. So unfair. Now my dilemma is do I get coverage for the CT through Farmer's, the company I chose when buying the new house, or pay more to have security of having USAA again.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Geico quote I got for 6 months with $500 deductible :

Cybertruck: $536
Rivian: $401
Lightning: $389

I did mention CT2 but I am not sure it was considered in the estimate I received.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Geico quote I got for 6 months with $500 deductible :

Cybertruck: $536
Rivian: $401
Lightning: $389

I did mention CT2 but I am not sure it was considered in the estimate I received.
I find it odd that the cybertruck would be rated that much higher than it's much more expensive counterpart. Maybe they pulled the cost of the lowest end Lightning ?

Geico did not quote us a good rate on our Model Y coverage, I think it was 900/ year versus 600 per year from Progressive. (That's actually for 2 cars/ 2 50+ drivers, but the other car is a 2012 Outback)

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I find it odd that the cybertruck would be rated that much higher than it's much more expensive counterpart. Maybe they pulled the cost of the lowest end Lightning ?

Geico did not quote us a good rate on our Model Y coverage, I think it was 900/ year versus 600 per year from Progressive. (That's actually for 2 cars/ 2 50+ drivers, but the other car is a 2012 Outback)
I think once they have data on Rivian and Lightening things may change. I don’t have a lot of confidence in quotes that I got. When I went online to check these quotes on my account there was no details (2 on CT and Pro on Lightning). I can’t see how the price of the vehicle could be irrelevant in full coverage. I have a feeling once we have Vin numbers, Progressive may end up being better.

p.s. I have 3 cars and 2 motorcycles with Geico. I am not sure how much if it matters in the quote.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
I drive a loaded top trim crew cab pickup about 7 years old.

I live in Louisiana and we have horrible insurance rates compared to most states.

I went online to get a quote on Geico. I have checked around in the past and they always have lowest rates.

If I buy a brand new loaded traditional crew cab my annual insurance goes up about an extra $400 a year over what I pay now.

No cybertruck to quote but picked a new model Y. My insurance would go up an extra $2,400 a year above what I already pay now. The model 3 was not any cheaper.

I have a preordered the rwd thinking it would be a nice value play for something different and practical. Some nice tech, help the environment and practical etc

Looking at insurance rates was kind of a buzz kill. It might be a practical vehicle in many ways, but to insurance companies it seems they rate them like I am buying a new Porsche.

At those rates, if they are similar for cybertruck, you might as well buy the top model if you are going to buy. Why pay so much in insurance to not have the performance model?

I can see why Tesla is starting to sell their own insurance in some states.

I really wish I was making this up or exaggerating, but I am not. I checked the quotes online myself. I did not check other insurance companies, but geico has always had great rates.

Addendum:

I looked online and some people say progressive might be the cheapest. They are usually never lower than geico and state farm for those with good records etc but for Tesla’s they might be.
"You might want to get a quote on a Tesla in your state, if you have not considered insurance costs."

Good advice because once you pay for the vehicle, you're done paying. But you pay for insurance every day, every hour throughout your ownership, whether driving or storing.

Collision might be high cost, but you can probably opt out of that coverage once you've satisfied any loans on it. You'll likely need liability only.
Sponsored