Julien

First Name
Julien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Palisade, Honda Accord, Reserved Dual Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
Hey y'all, I'm starting this conversation just to talk about the Cybertruck's daily livability. I may get some hate from those who only want the CT as a tool but I'm gonna be using to haul my family in it, so I need to know about its practicality.

I have a question for anybody with automotive design experience. Will the CT's huge wheels and thick metal exoskeleton mean that it will be very comfortable and quiet on-road?
Sponsored

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Hey y'all, I'm starting this conversation just to talk about the Cybertruck's daily livability. I may get some hate from those who only want the CT as a tool but I'm gonna be using to haul my family in it, so I need to know about its practicality.

I have a question for anybody with automotive design experience. Will the CT's huge wheels and thick metal exoskeleton mean that it will be very comfortable and quiet on-road?
Yes it will be but not for those reasons. Quiet because no ice engine. Comfortable ride because independent suspension and I have zero automotive design experience.

showmemo

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 M3P, 2000 M Roadster, XC 40, TriMotor CT
Occupation
IT
Country flag

I've had trucks and jeeps with 35" mud tires and they are anything but quiet. But, with the thick glass and no engine noise, plus the heavier metal body, I'm hoping it will be. I'll be curious to see the final tire design choice. Since I won't be using it for off-roading (much), I prefer a more street oriented tire. The last set of BFGoodrich AT K2's I put on a Jeep were much quieter than the Firestone Destinations and still looked good.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
The CT is going to be my family hauler. I don't expect it will be all that different from other modern trucks in day-to-day living. I currently drive a challenger, but rent a truck when I need space and a bed. I've rented all of the modern trucks and they are a dream with a family of 4. Tonnes of space and great visibility, and great ride comfort. The downside compared to my car is they are less sporty and harder to park, etc. I don't think CT will be much different, but it does look like it has a lower seating position and it should handle better. I'm hoping it bridges a bit of that gap. If you're wondering what life with it will be like, just rent a new truck.

Oh, and the other difference being the CT won't suck a small middle eastern country dry from driving it. I spend about $550 monthly fueling my car, and that should go to about $130 charging from the grid, hopefully to $0 with solar before too long.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The three main noise sources seem to be magnetostriction from the motors, wind and road noise. The first two can be managed by sound insulation (double pane widows in some models) at various places in the body and in the tires. Whether the tires on the CT will have this I don't know.

The market is well to do urban cowboys who fancy themselves manly men but still want their comforts. I think we can be pretty sure the things will be comfortable on long drives.
Sponsored