Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Nice video thanks! Noticed no third brake light and light bar didn't light up when braking though.
The prototype that's been driving around has been seen with them, but they're clearly not working.

Why do people keep mentioning this? It's basically a project car. Sometimes things don't get plugged back in.

Do we think the rear view mirror will be a camera system? I was hoping we'd be able to see the illumination in the cab at night
The original prototype had a video rear view, and they've made no alterations to make an in-cabin mirror work any other way.

-Crissae

Last edited:

Jamminrio

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus ST
Occupation
COACH
Country flag
Cybertruck spotted last week driving on the streets of San Francisco. Love seeing it driving among traditional looking cars!

The lighting looks good. I am not sure what type of lighting is being use with the sharp projection lines on the road, laser or led. It appears to have broad lighting to the sides. I hope Tesla is able to have the lights adjust for pitch to see the area in front of you before leveling out. Look at 10 sec mark on video. Perhaps the top light bar could help in off roading, but you could see it could be needed on the streets too.

Prime8

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Colorado,
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
I'm really hoping that the oil canning on the sides is not present on the production versions, makes the truck look like a kit car imo.🤞

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
What I saw on the Prototype leads me to believe that not all the panels were 3mm. The doors were but other joints were exposes and seemed much thinner. I have worked with 3mm SS many times and once bent even 1/4 hard is pretty tough, so I bet the final skins will be much more resilient.

Prime8

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Colorado,
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
What I saw on the Prototype leads me to believe that not all the panels were 3mm. The doors were but other joints were exposes and seemed much thinner. I have worked with 3mm SS many times and once bent even 1/4 hard is pretty tough, so I bet the final skins will be much more resilient.
[/Q
Thinner panels would explain a lot. Obviously very difficult to tell from the pics/videos we have so far but those panels look like they would be dented by the hammer blows from the initial unveiling...

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
What I saw on the Prototype leads me to believe that not all the panels were 3mm.
but the prototype has some, like, 1mm or less panels?

not to suggest anything more than that the prototype construction is a probably a poor gauge of anything about the production model

in any event, I’ve long ago seen some structural engineers who specialize in metal suggest that two common effects were likely to be seen in the CT: oil canning was one

the other was (translating from nerd speak I don’t remember specifically) was basically the noises the flat sheets would make under vibration or jostling - similar to the noises one might hear if waiving around a handsaw. Suggestion was that to avoid this Tesla would need to fill the interior voids with a hardening sort of expanding foam adhesive.

BTW, what did you make of the “sail storage” seam on the original prototype?

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
I think the production model will have 3mm throughout, but the prototype showed signs of having some panels that seemed thinner.

Kahpernicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag
Pretty sure they've mentioned* that the prototypes are made with standard off the shelf SS, which prevented them from being able to manipulate it in the way the final special foldgers blend SS alloy will.

*citation needed

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I don't think you are wrong. Clearly now with the recent photos there is a very substantial inner steel body and the rear castings are clearly supporting much of the load near the sail pillars. Tesla is very obviously making decisions to try to reduce the weight of the truck. They reduced the dimensions by 5%, removed the metal bed and solid surface dash. I bet they are struggling to get to that holy grail of 500 mi range so they are also reducing the panel thickness everywhere except at the doors to maintain the bullet resistant claim

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I think you are wrong. Clearly now with the recent photos there is a very substantial inner steel body and the rear castings are clearly supporting much of the load near the sail pillars. Tesla is very obviously making decisions to try to reduce the weight of the truck. They reduced the dimensions by 5%, removed the metal bed and solid surface dash. I bet they are struggling to get to that holy grail of 500 mi range so they are also reducing the panel thickness everywhere except at the doors to maintain the bullet resistant claim
"Clearly' is doing alot of heavy lifting in your statement since you seem to still be under the misimpression that the only structure would be the skin.

You make several statements which are not at all clear or accurate. We don't know that they've removed the metal bed. What's under the black is unknown. Nor do we know what thickness the dash was supposed to be, it definitely wasn't structural in the prototype. Nor have we seen any panel thickness changed. You're just making stuff up whole cloth.

It's not a damn egg. It was always going to have parts made from other metals to basket the internals and brace across, and then welded in some way to the skin.

-Crissa

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
"Clearly' is doing alot of heavy lifting in your statement since you seem to still be under the misimpression that the only structure would be the skin.

You make several statements which are not at all clear or accurate. We don't know that they've removed the metal bed. What's under the black is unknown. Nor do we know what thickness the dash was supposed to be, it definitely wasn't structural in the prototype. Nor have we seen any panel thickness changed. You're just making stuff up whole cloth.

It's not a damn egg. It was always going to have parts made from other metals to basket the internals and brace across, and then welded in some way to the skin.

-Crissa
You seem defensive for some reason. I am just stating what I see.

Mr. Keys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Reservation
Country flag
This thing def looks like it was designed to have a rear light bar. Looks odd without it and seems like it would look amazing with it.

As for the ripples, they definitely need to fix that, and I expect they will. If it were covered in ripples I'd personally get something else, and I can't imagine Elon would stand for that either
Sponsored