Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
:cool:
Even half charge in the right area is going to require at least 20kw in solar panels, as well as at least 75kwh in batteries to pre-store the power while you are at work. Most likely you will need 25+kw and 110-120kwh of storage to power your house and a daily 250 miles on a Cybertruck. But hey if you have the money and are willing to spend it more power to ya.
Why so many batteries?

If I were to charge from offgrid solar I would want to do it straight from the panels via a inverter at a high enough rate to finish the cycle in daylight hours, with as little extra battery storage as possible. And then use the EV battery for overnight power use via V2H.

Solar is super cheap at $0.30c, batteryless offgrid inverter $0.15c plus framing etc. So you install a larger than the EV charger capacity solar system, and charge directly from the sun without batteries when it shines by modulating the EV rate to match solar availability. No batteries included or required if you charge in the day, and you size the array to suit your maximum daily commute.

For a 19kW charger you can install the same capacity in inverters, but run them with up to 40kW of solar panel input for max return, as MPPT will handle throttling, just don't go over max inverter solar input amps. That would cost $12k in panels and about $3k in inverters plus framing.

Then install it somewhere you can charge others to use it...
Sponsored

Deleted member 3316

anyone got any good info in the max onboard charger input?

We are currently testing a 25kW AC plug on a 100A circuit from (a manufacturer I can’t publicly name yet.)

any chance the CT will be able to accept this? I don’t have a list of vehicles that can currently handle this but I know there are some coming

Thanks!
What sort of voltage are you talking about?

Much of the world uses 240v, with three phase to 415v.

Early Model S/X had 11, 16, 22kW
Model 3/Y has ~11kW

I would hazard a guess Cybertruck will have two 11kW onboard chargers to enable a max AC of 22kW

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
What sort of voltage are you talking about?

Much of the world uses 240v, with three phase to 415v.

Early Model S/X had 11, 16, 22kW
Model 3/Y has ~11kW

I would hazard a guess Cybertruck will have two 11kW onboard chargers to enable a max AC of 22kW
I suspect the CT will have a bidirectional charger/power inverter to run the power outlets. If so I'd like to see around 15-20kW 1/3phase and a 5kW MPPT solar input plug. "If" CT comes with a 3phase outlet, I also hope it includes VSD functionality to drive a trolling motor on the tow hitch for amphibious mode. 20kW should be plenty.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Sorry, VSD/VFD is Variable Speed/Frequency Drive for controlling motor rpm.

That way the car can control the throttle of the trolling motor used to propel the CT when in the water. EM had a tweet about attaching a motor to the hitch, so I'm hoping they can add the VSD to the 120/240V bed inverter. Essentially, a VSD is also just like an inverter as it just rectifies the AC input to DC and then remodulates the AC, but unlike a standard inverter, a VSD has a greater range of frequency control, meaning that it can vary the rotational speed of a connected AC motor from 0-100%. The main difference would be the software and controller setup, the hardware is nearly identical in complexity and cost.

The advantage of doing this is that there is a pathway to use the CT battery pack directly to drive a water propulsion motor, and potentially any other PTO type accessory (snowblower, winch, mower, firefighting pump etc) and make sure the CT is in safe control of the PTO feature at all times. The same inverter can also be used at a fixed frequency for normal AC appliances as well, and would even be able to soft start heavy electrical loads, or even have load regulating or cutoff controls etc. for implement and person protection. With some extra simple switching, it could even do 1 or 3 phase with the same unit. So you could switch between either 3phase with 7kW on each phase, or 21kW on one phase. If bi-directional, it could then also accept 1 or 3 phase power at those levels as well to charge the battery. In fact if you wanted to get really fancy you could even run it as 3 separate single phase VSDs for 3 motors. Given the cost is mostly in the power electronics and hardware side of the inverter, I'd expect adding the VSD functionality will add about $10-50 in hardware costs.

For added protection I'd add a CAN bus to the connector that is used for motor control, which then can interface with the motor to make sure the VSD settings are correct for whatever implement or appliance is connected. That way you can also use it as an electric clutch for torque protection on winches, or for powering hydraulics, or you could even add shutoff for water pumps using the suspension load sensors to detect an empty water tank in the bed etc.

For the water propulsion, I came up with another way to do a few months back, by using an impeller and housing that can be mounted on the inside of the rear wheel hub behind the brake. With that you can then use the torque vectoring of the two rear CT motors to control thrust on each allowing you to turn. Given the small size, the impeller would have negligible aero drag whilst onroad, but would mean that amphibious propulsion would run off the existing drive motors at little cost, and only two parts (impeller and cast housing). Having 4WS would help with thrust vectoring in the water too.

If you had both the hub impellors and the VSD you could then use impellors for water propulsion, 1 phase of the VFD for a bow thruster, another for the bilge pump and the third for the powered fishing reel to pull in those slippery bragging rights from the sea. ;) ;)

It's funny actually, every time I now go past a boat ramp, or down the beach and see all the guys fussing over launching their boats and wading through the water to reach them after launch, I think of how awesome it would be just to drive straight in the water with the CT and guys with rods in the back and disappear into the ocean through the surf...lol :cool:

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
:cool:
Why so many batteries?

If I were to charge from offgrid solar I would want to do it straight from the panels via a inverter at a high enough rate to finish the cycle in daylight hours, with as little extra battery storage as possible. And then use the EV battery for overnight power use via V2H.

Solar is super cheap at $0.30c, batteryless offgrid inverter $0.15c plus framing etc. So you install a larger than the EV charger capacity solar system, and charge directly from the sun without batteries when it shines by modulating the EV rate to match solar availability. No batteries included or required if you charge in the day, and you size the array to suit your maximum daily commute.

For a 19kW charger you can install the same capacity in inverters, but run them with up to 40kW of solar panel input for max return, as MPPT will handle throttling, just don't go over max inverter solar input amps. That would cost $12k in panels and about $3k in inverters plus framing.

Then install it somewhere you can charge others to use it...

A rough calculation based on how many miles they were planning on driving, expected size of the Cybertruck's battery and the expectation that most of the charging will be done at night.

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model x
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
And that's fast! That's probably over 50 mikes charged per hour or ten hours to full. And it's the rare person who uses a full charge of a long range every day and ends up at home each night.

-Crissa
I drive 40k a year 3 days a week i drive a 300 mile Round trip each of those days i come home around 10%. my tesla saves me a ton of money on fuel. The fact that tesla vehicles are so efficient one of the best buying feature. I’m guessing a lot high mileage drivers purchase tesla’s. Prior to Tesla I drove a F150. And as soon as my CT arrives I’ll go back to a pickup and that means that I’ll be carrying about 1000lbs of tools. that should cut down on range. I’m really hoping that they have a home high power charging.
Sponsored