Cybertruck order email received today... Undecided about purchasing? NO I'M NOT!

Archer

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Service and Repair
Country flag
I will not pick up my Cybertruck and it breaks my heart... Tesla moved the industry forward with the introduction of 48Vdc, Ethernet and drive by wire, to name a few, but there is one huge problem with the Cybertruck that I cannot overlook. Allow me to begin my saying I currently own a Chevy Duramax Diesel with 52 gallon tank that I use for trips, and that fuel capacity gets me well over 600 miles unloaded, over 300 while towing my 12,000lb 36' trailer. When Elon introduced the Cybertruck he stated the tri-motor variant would have a 500+ miles of range, so I quickly ordered the Cyber knowing the battery capacity would give me a real world range of roughly 200 miles while towing. But now that my Cybertruck is ready, the effective range has been cut in half and the price doubled. Don't get me wrong, I have much respect for what Elon Musk and Tesla have accomplished, but I cannot pay double for half what I was expecting, I reserved a second Cybertruck and if Tesla fixes the mileage problem when it's ready I'll be happy to take another look and Tesla, but for now I'm considering the new Chevy EV truck because they were able to provide a serious battery capacity and real world mileage when Tesla has simply failed to deliver.

RN118802214 - failure
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
Each reservation holder needs to make the best choice.

If I needed a truck for towing I would not even consider a BEV truck. Battery cell technology still has another 5-10 years until we see 300-400 miles of range when towing.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
When Elon introduced the Cybertruck he stated the tri-motor variant would have a 500+ miles of range, so I ordered knowing this would give me an real world range of roughly 200 to 250 miles while towing.
...Maybe not towing the thing you're towing. Also, you could wait until the extender is available. Or a higher range model.

At no point did Elon say the first Cybertruck model was going to have 500+ miles range.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Archer

Archer

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Service and Repair
Country flag
...Maybe not towing the thing you're towing. Also, you could wait until the extender is available. Or a higher range model.

At no point did Elon say the first Cybertruck model was going to have 500+ miles range.

-Crissa
RE: "At no point did Elon say the first Cybertruck model was going to have 500+ miles range."

Crissa, It's a fact that Elon announced the Tri-Motor variant as having 500+ miles of range and here are the receipts to back that up. Advance the "Tesla Cybertruck Unveiling" video to minutes 15:50 and read what they put up in red, on the huge screen behind Elon and the CT.... "500+ MI"

*There is a reason that trucks are the #1 selling vehicles in America, and the ability to carry heavy loads and travel great distances is a huge factor in those sales numbers.
Never forget that once you put something online, it remains there forever. Additionally, I'd never reserve the CT if it was announced at 250+ miles of range (85 miles while towing an average travel trailer), Most truck owners would not own any truck with only 250 miles of range... only a city boy, or girl, would ever consider buying any truck with so few miles available for hauling or travel.

Last edited:

Ballsamic VINegar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

-Crissa
Uh oh, here come the apologists rewriting history. You can't say anything bad about Elon without one of these chiming in "He never said it!' even though he clearly did.

What a joke this site is. You can't even say "where is the 500 mile Cybertruck" without being bullied by an apologist troll.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Uh oh, here come the apologists rewriting history. You can't...
You can say anything bad about Elon you want, as long as it's true. Unfortunately for him, he's been making that easy lately. But it's neither here not there.

When they revealed the Cybertruck, they said the two-motor version with the middle battery pack would be available first. Then Elon said maid the three-motor version but he didn't mention the range. Later, he suggested a four-motor variant as first, but that was never revealed.

At no point has Tesla ever released the top range model first.

-Crissa

Ballsamic VINegar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You can say anything bad about Elon you want, as long as it's true. Unfortunately for him, he's been making that easy lately. But it's neither here not there.

When they revealed the Cybertruck, they said the two-motor version with the middle battery pack would be available first. Then Elon said maid the three-motor version but he didn't mention the range. Later, he suggested a four-motor variant as first, but that was never revealed.

At no point has Tesla ever released the top range model first.

-Crissa
Here's a direct quote from an email I received from Tesla on December 2, 2019:

"Cybertruck is designed for high-performance both on and off-road, accelerating from 0-60 in less than 2.9 seconds with estimated range of over 500 miles, depending on your configuration. Standard adaptive air suspension offers up to 16” of ground clearance with self-leveling capabilities that can adapt to any occasion."

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here's a direct quote from an email I received from Tesla on December 2, 2019:

"Cybertruck is designed for high-performance both on and off-road, accelerating from 0-60 in less than 2.9 seconds with estimated range of over 500 miles, depending on your configuration. Standard adaptive air suspension offers up to 16” of ground clearance with self-leveling capabilities that can adapt to any occasion."
So, you do know that, "depending upon your configuration," is in the text you quoted, and "500+ miles range is the first configuration we're selling," is not?

-Crissa

Last edited:

Cam Salazar

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Uh oh, here come the apologists rewriting history. You can't say anything bad about Elon without one of these chiming in "He never said it!' even though he clearly did.

What a joke this site is. You can't even say "where is the 500 mile Cybertruck" without being bullied by an apologist troll.
Wow! just admit you're wrong crissa! him pointing out an inaccuracy in your comment, and providing proof of it, is not him bullying you, nor does it warrant you calling him names...yikes!

Cam Salazar

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I will not pick up my truck and that breaks my heart! Tesla moved the industry forward with the introduction of a 48Vdc, Ethernet and drive by wire, to name a few, but there is one huge problem with the Cybertruck that I cannot overlook. Allow me to begin my saying I currently own a Chevy Duramax Diesel with 52 gallon tank that I use for long trips and that fuel capacity gets me well over 600 miles unloaded, over 300 while towing my 12,000lb 36' trailer. When Elon introduced the Cybertruck he stated the tri-motor variant would have a 500+ miles of range, so I ordered knowing this would give me an real world range of roughly 200 to 250 miles while towing. Now that my Cybertruck is ready, the effective range has been cut in half and the price doubled. I love Tesla... just not gonna pay double for half what I was expecting, I reserved a second Cybertruck and if Tesla fixes the mileage by then, I may purchase that one, but for now I'm considering the new Chevy EV truck because they were able to provide real world mileage where Tesla has not.

RN118802214 - failure
I'm almost about to do the same as you. As much as I love and want this thing (Cyberbeast -should be getting my VIN very soon) I am disappointed by not just what you mentioned here, but also all of the quality issues I'm learning about. My buddy got his a couple of months ago and his bed cover and tailgate buttons on the side of the bed stopped working a few weeks ago. In addition to this, I do hate the idea of no easy access over the side of the bed, which makes it impossible to strap something down towards the front of the bed, but also the fact that if you have the tailgate lowered while hauling you lose your brake lights and rear view camera. There are also no features to assist in the climbing on the back of the bed like all other newer trucks have, including side steps, bumber steps, pull-out handles, telescoping steps off the tailgate (ford) or multi-folding tailgates (gmc). Climbing up without these features is tough if you're not young and thin, but having to jump off is just not an option for these individuals, specially since not having the option to grab things or tie things from the side of the bed. But the one thing that has really been getting under my skin, is seeing how blatantly unfair Tesla has been by not respecting the reservation order number sequence. All these celebrities cutting the line just because of them being famous is bad, but the worse is seeing all these people with later RN numbers getting theirs before all the early day-one reservation holders like myself. Writing this just made me realize I will be putting my delivery on hold in case I change my mind again next year.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
but the worse is seeing all these people with later RN numbers getting theirs before all the early day-one reservation holders like...
...themselves? The reveal was in Los Angeles, attended by alot of these people, what 'later RNs'?

Tesla has always jumped ahead in the queue and delivered regionally when support needed to be expanded for the new model. So that means if you're remote, you're going to get served later.

You also selected the model they specifically said they'd be making slower. They promised they'd get to you this year, is that so bad?

-Crissa

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
If I needed a truck for towing I would not even consider a BEV truck. Battery cell technology still has another 5-10 years until we see 300-400 miles of range when towing.
People keep saying EVs are not good for towing heavy trailers, but what they really mean is that EVs are not good at towing trailers hundreds or thousands of miles. They actually excel at towing heavy trailers within their range limitations. Most EV trucks tow even better than their gas or diesel counterparts. And more safely.

Most work-related towing is done locally, as I've experienced first-hand towing for many different bosses over the years. RVers are the towing outliers, the ones that tow through multi-state areas seasonally. For that use case, a gas or diesel truck still makes sense. I'm not an RVer because I've never felt it made a whole lot of sense to engage in an activity that consumed such huge amounts of energy just to get somewhere else. I like travelling without the kitchen sink, bathroom, bedroom and living room in tow.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I do hate the idea of no easy access over the side of the bed, which makes it impossible to strap something down towards the front of the bed...
Huh? I'm guessing you've never owned a modern, full-size pickup. Because no one straps a load down towards the front of the bed WITHOUT climbing up into the bed to do it. Especially not on 4x4 models, because the bed sides are too tall to reach over and tie the load down.

The Cybertruck, with its low "Entry Mode" is actually easier to do the very thing you are complaining about. It's about twice as easy to get in and out of the bed of my Cybertruck (in the lowest mode) vs. my F-150 4x4 (maybe four times as easy, depending upon how you measure it).

Cam Salazar

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Huh? I'm guessing you've never owned a modern, full-size pickup. Because no one straps a load down towards the front of the bed WITHOUT climbing up into the bed to do it. Especially not on 4x4 models, because the bed sides are too tall to reach over and tie the load down.

The Cybertruck, with its low "Entry Mode" is actually easier to do the very thing you are complaining about. It's about twice as easy to get in and out of the bed of my Cybertruck (in the lowest mode) vs. my F-150 4x4 (maybe four times as easy, depending upon how you measure it).
I have a 2024 3500HD GMC, and had a 2022 F250 before that, and many other trucks before that, so i know what im talking about. Both very easy to get into and out of and access the front of the bed from the sides with the bedside steps and deploying running boards. And no, i dont always access the front tie down hooks in the bed from inside the bed, almost always from the outside, specially with larger loads where i dont fit in the bed with yhe load im tying down. I almost always strap yhings down from the outside. My buddy has a cybertruck I've driven and played around with trying to access the bed. It is NOT as easy to get in and out of as my other trucks, and it's certainly not accesible from the sides.
Sponsored