Cybertruck Plaid

Will there be a Plaid version of the Cybertruck?

• Total voters

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Well, the high speed is good, but how about the low speed? Just in case of tight parking or approaching the loading deck, isn't there a chance to accelerate accidently and hit something with such a sharp accelerator pedal?
Ford does have a pre-collision assist that will try to stop the vehicle before you hit another car, pedestrian, and I am assuming it would work on walls too.

Even if it doesn't, a Teslas acceleration isn't going to be evenly comparable to another vehicle at every angle of pressure. If the acceleration is double with the pedal completely pressed down, that doesn't mean a light tap is going to give double the acceleration that you would in say a Honda.

I wouldn't want to Test the pre-collision assist feature against a wall when you start from 10 feet away, I would just assume that if you accelerate hard enough in any vehicle, you will hit that wall.
Sponsored

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
Even if it doesn't, a Teslas acceleration isn't going to be evenly comparable to another vehicle at every angle of pressure. If the acceleration is double with the pedal completely pressed down, that doesn't mean a light tap is going to give double the acceleration that you would in say a Honda.
A truck unlike a sedan needs much more frequent precise positioning for approaching loading ramp, attaching a trailer etc. The driver probably could feel more confident if he knew that the truck is in virtual "low gear" mode and the whole travel of the accelerator pedal corresponds to much lower range of speed, instead of relying on the guesswork in the CT brain.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Yeah I guess you're right, it's not like any other Tesla would ever need to be percise since you can't put a hitch on one and attach a trailer that would need to be positioned somewhere.

OP
OP

Ranulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor
Country flag
Guys, I know where y'all are coming from. But hear me out on this:
All previous Tesla models have/had ordering pages like this:

Single Motor RWD
-Standard
-Long Range

Dual Motor AWD:
-Long Range
-Performance

With the introduction of Plaid, Model S and X no longer have the two Dual Motor options. It's possible that they will follow that model with Cybertruck. However, I could see something like the following:

Single Motor RWD
-Standard

Dual Motor AWD
-Long Range
-Performance

Tri Motor AWD
-Long Range
-Plaid

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Guys, I know where y'all are coming from. But hear me out on this:
All previous Tesla models have/had ordering pages like this:

Single Motor RWD
-Standard
-Long Range

Dual Motor AWD:
-Long Range
-Performance

With the introduction of Plaid, Model S and X no longer have the two Dual Motor options. It's possible that they will follow that model with Cybertruck. However, I could see something like the following:

Single Motor RWD
-Standard

Dual Motor AWD
-Long Range
-Performance

Tri Motor AWD
-Long Range
-Plaid

So what I suspect is either two things will happen.

1. The Cybertruck is followed by another smaller Tesla truck. This would satisfy people that want a smaller truck and it would be better for sales in Europe and Asia. It would also follow the pattern that Tesla has been doing where they have the Model S as a luxury Sedan and then the 3. They have the Model X as a luxury SUV and then they have the Y.

2. The Cybertruck is the only truck they make.

If The Cybertruck is only truck they make, I could see Tesla doing something similar to what you are suggesting.

If Tesla decides to make another, I would suspect that they would have two options only.
-Long Range (Dual Motor)
-Plaid (Tri Motor)

I don't think Tesla will keep the names of Single Motor, Dual Motor, and Tri Motor. I think that's just how they are currently identifying them, possibly to not give away any spoiler of whether the Tri Motor is plaid or not.

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
Tesla already has soft response if you set it up, and because of those unintended acceleration events it will resist your attempts to pedal into a wall.

-Crissa
Very good feature, but a bit too sharp for a truck. And how about backing to a ramp or door (rear radar)? And the radars may not be used at all.?
I believe the "low gear" mode would be way more predictable in addition to sensing distances and obstacles.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Single motor = girlfriend/boyfriend (whatever your interest)
Two motor = spouse
Tri = mistress/whatever male equivalent is called.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Very good feature, but a bit too sharp for a truck. And how about backing to a ramp or door (rear radar)? And the radars may not be used at all.?
It will move more slowly into an obstacle. It will totally let you do it if you keep pushing. Just, it won't full-power into it.

-Crissa

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
The obstacle aware acceleration doesn't seem like it's intended to make it easier for people to position the vehicle with precision. To me it just seems like a feature that's can be left on to prevent someone from accidently slamming down the acceleration, whether that's just a mistake or someone hit the gas instead of the brake. If i'm trying to position to hook up to a trailer and i'm trying to go under a few mph, i don't think that system would do anything other than prevent the vehicle from slamming into it if i happened to slam down the accelerator.

The real solution to this if we are trying to hook up to a trailer would be the feature that's coming to the software that we seen in the patent. In this picture of the UI taken from the patent (Fig 8A), we can see that the Cybertruck can identify the trailer, where the coupler is, how far away it is, and it even appears that the 'ATTACH' in the photo will be a pressable button. It would be a great uption for the Cybertruck to be able to line up the truck with the trailer automatically to easily attach, especially if you are planning to use the max tow weight, as you will need to line it up accurately.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Plaid 1623646245296

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’m retired and only have to keep up with the slowest vehicle ahead of me.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
This is a truck! The tri motor will already do 0-60 in under 3 seconds. The biggest plaid upgrade was speed and the rest were overall systems and appearance upgrades. Sure, I suppose they may make an upgraded version, but really do you think they need to try to get a truck to have a 0-60 under 2 seconds. No. When have you ever seen a truck advertised with a 0-60 time before tesla came along. If you think about the upgraded Ford trims (Lariat, Platinum, Limited etc.) they all are upgrading a fairly basic truck to feel more luxurious. Teslas already feel more luxurious so basically those up other manufacturers upgraded trims are getting them to the level of Tesla's and in my opinion, there is no need for Telsa to plaid the Cybertruck. When I think of my needs and the CT, I think of range and towing/load/occupant capacity. Not how quick I can get off the line. I also haul stuff a lot and I have a legitimate concern about how much torque this truck will have. Even a well tied down load if heavy enough can shift under a lot of torque so I guess I will have to tie some feathers to my lead foot.

The Model S is more or less a sports car where speed and aesthetics actually matter to that buyer a lot more. I don't necessarily think we will ever see a model 3 plaid either. I would much rather see tesla continue to dominate the market with new innovations such as a smaller truck, minivan, boring co etc.