Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
It would be great to see the base model come in between 70k-90kAU. That is the model I ordered before they took away the pre-order option.

To be frank I think it would also just be nice to see it come under the LCT threshold since LCT is just such a waste of money and to your point about being a mass market vehicle one would assume that the mass market is below 'Luxury Car' level.. Given that the LCT threshold is now $84,916 this financial year and likely we will not see CT in Aus until next financial year we could expect the LCT threshold to increase again to as high as 90k in FY23/24

Assuming that 70-90kAU is the base model price range that would see it comfortably under LCT threshold when CT arrives which would be fantastic.
The CT is a utility vehicle, in my case I want to use it for towing. There is nothing luxury about that.

Give me a cheaper EV alternative to tow over 4 tons. There isn't.

Besides, our Government should remove the luxury tax on all EV's. Regardless of price.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Besides, our Government should remove the luxury tax on all EV's. Regardless of price.
This is a good point, batteries and new cars models will of course cost more up front. Even raising it by 50% would let non-plaid models sneak under.

-Crissa

OP
OP

Kumbayamelord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Country flag
The CT is a utility vehicle, in my case I want to use it for towing. There is nothing luxury about that.

Give me a cheaper EV alternative to tow over 4 tons. There isn't.

I'm not buying it as a utility vehicle.

I just want it as my regular vehicle - I wonder if that's a waste.. I've never owned a truck before so it may be difficult to manage but when I hear Elon say it's there best product ever I figure why not go for it?

I theorise if it is too much for me after a year I can always trade it in for a M3 or MY.

I also figured that it will be much easier to handle a truck of that size with FSD when CT finally arrives as FSD may be able to do all, if not most of the driving/parking!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I also figured that it will be much easier to handle a truck of that size with FSD when CT finally arrives as FSD may be able to do all, if not most of the driving/parking!
Trucks are big, and clumsy. Sure, the Cybertruck will be nimble and quick, but it will still be big and have limits on how it handles that a Model 3, Y, or whatever won't.

It's a utility vehicle. And it'll be great at that. At being a regular vehicle.

But that's why I have a reservation for an Aptera, too.

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

I just want it as my regular vehicle - I wonder if that's a waste.
It's not more of a waste than all the huge trucks that people drive as vanity vehicles while spewing black smoke on purpose. Will it use more electricity than a M3 or MY? Sure. But as more renewables come on line, the wastefulness issue will become less of a big deal.

Enjoy your truck without guilt. Have fun driving it. If you end up deciding on changing to a M3 or MY that is good too. Your CT will surely end up at a loving home where it will live on for many years to come. And you will have had a fun experience that you can tell others about. Perhaps they will decide to buy a CT too.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
It's not more of a waste than all the huge trucks that people drive as vanity vehicles while spewing black smoke on purpose...
My son-in-law in his Plaid is now getting even for his wife, who always got smoked by these rolling coal with her Tesla S. 😈 She can't with baby on board.

DPye_BC

First Name
Durwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier RWD; 2000 Toyota Echo FWD
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
I didn't post it at the time, but I was very interested in the price increase discussion so I made up a spreadsheet to do my estimates. I know there was no "reveal" price for the Quad, but there were some reasonable speculations after Elon mentioned it.

CYBERTRUCK PRICESMY ESTIMATED PRICE RANGE
REVEALLOWHIGH
CT 1 RWD$39,900.00$45,990.00$51,990.00
CT 2 AWD$49,900.00$56,990.00$64,990.00
CT 3 AWD$69,900.00$79,990.00$90,990.00
CT 4 AWD$89,900.00$103,990.00$116,990.00

There is a fair bit of analysis behind these estimates, including inflation and Tesla price changes.
If you're interested in the spreadsheet... bit.ly/3Ekvkmj

DPye_BC

First Name
Durwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
I also did some speculation on the possible motor options. People have said that the Single motor variant isn't going to be made, but I think there may be a couple other interesting options that haven't been announced.

CT Motor Options
frontrear
CT 1 RWDSMT†revealed
CT 2 AWDSMT*SMT†revealed - could be "long range"
CT 2 RWDDM†seems an odd configuration but could be good for towing
CT 3 AWDSMT*DM†revealed
CT 3 PlaidSMT‡DM‡not announced but possible
CT 4 4X4DM*DM†announced
CT 4 4X4 PlaidDM‡DM‡pure speculation

SMT = single motor w/ transaxle
DM = dual motor
*Induction (efficiency)
†IPM-SynRM (power)
‡IPM-SynRM Plaid (speed)

Requires 6 different motor designs:
SMT IND, SMT IPM, SMT PLD, DM IND, DM IPM, DM PLD
(Tesla is already making all of these.)

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I didn't post it at the time, but I was very interested in the price increase discussion so I made up a spreadsheet to do my estimates. I know there was no "reveal" price for the Quad, but there were some reasonable speculations after Elon mentioned it.

CYBERTRUCK PRICESMY ESTIMATED PRICE RANGE
REVEALLOWHIGH
CT 1 RWD$39,900.00$45,990.00$51,990.00
CT 2 AWD$49,900.00$56,990.00$64,990.00
CT 3 AWD$69,900.00$79,990.00$90,990.00
CT 4 AWD$89,900.00$103,990.00$116,990.00

There is a fair bit of analysis behind these estimates, including inflation and Tesla price changes.
If you're interested in the spreadsheet... bit.ly/3Ekvkmj
I think the biggest problem with any of these estimates is not knowing what the final models will be.

If there is a dual motor short range truck instead of a single motor, where does that slot in. Likewise if they ditch the tri motor do they just have a $40k gap to Quad?

rjo71342

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
current:outlander phev, next:cybertruck
Occupation
custtomer service
Country flag
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to get an idea of what the current thinking is in regards to CT pricing for the basic model, tri motor and quad motor? Looking to hear some feedback on people's best guesses. My thoughts are that if it is US 40k base for the CT than it should be equivalent to the cost of a Model Y as the base Model Y was released for US $41,200 as far as I can tell from looking back through some internet research.

If that is the case the base CT would be AU$87,295.00 drive away as this directly copies the cost from Tesla's website at present. I ordered the base CT and would be quite happy if it was lower than (AU) $100k and even happier if it was below 90k!

I'd also love to get everyone's thoughts on the 'lock-in' of FSD as I chose that option at the time and Tesla promised that we would than get the same priced FSD. This is becoming more and more of a concern for me as I don't imagine base CT will arrive late 2023 in Aus at the earliest at which point FSD could be 25k or something of that magnitude! I don't want Tesla to reneg on their promise of locked in FSD as that would drastically put a hole in my budget to have to purchase it with future pricing.

I believe higher end CT and mid level CT will arrive in Aus by mid 2023

What are your thoughts on arrival date in Aus for base CT, mid level CT and higher end model CT? And what are your thoughts on the FSD lock-in, do you think this will still be honoured?

P.s. Would love to know what the rego/fees and costs are of owning an electric truck are in Australia, I've never owned a truck and I've heard there are extra special taxes/charges.. ?
australia will not see cybertruck for at least 1-2 years to start based on track record with model 3 and model Y.
But i think by that time the prices will come closer to 80c in the dollar for the aud/usd rate,
but i think because of the low pre-order numbers of single motor base model being pre-ordered, most likely will have to order a dual motor version to start as suspect they will likely kill the single motor before production starts.

and will look at $50k usd start but still might be close to the 90k start but you will mostly end up with better range also

rjo71342

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
current:outlander phev, next:cybertruck
Occupation
custtomer service
Country flag

I just want it as my regular vehicle - I wonder if that's a waste.. I've never owned a truck before so it may be difficult to manage but when I hear Elon say it's there best product ever I figure why not go for it?

I theorise if it is too much for me after a year I can always trade it in for a M3 or MY.

easy way to test find a ford dealer and test out a f150 then go for a test drive in a model Y or a model X and get a feel for them that's the best way to judge a cybertruck

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
australia will not see cybertruck for at least 1-2 years to start based on track record with model 3 and model Y.
But i think by that time the prices will come closer to 80c in the dollar for the aud/usd rate,
Yea, my best case scenario was mid 24.. but now I think 2 years after launch at the earliest.. Mid 25 for Australia.

By mid 25, we should be over recession. Amazing how quickly things can recover.. my forecast has the US at 1.4

Below I have my 'ready reckoner' ..for fun, its close enough. Copied and pasted some price points. Other Aussie can get an idea :

Threshold$ 84,916
(LCT value - LCT threshold) x 10/11 x 33/100 = LCT amount
Estimated US Price$ 50,000
AU Converted1.4$ 70,000
GST$ 7,000
Sub T$ 77,000
Luxury Car Tax$ -
AU Price$ 77,000
Estimated US Price$ 60,000
AU Converted1.4$ 84,000
GST$ 8,400
Sub T$ 92,400
Luxury Car Tax$ 2,245
AU Price$ 94,645
Estimated US Price$ 70,000
AU Converted1.4$ 98,000
GST$ 9,800
Sub T$ 107,800
Luxury Car Tax$ 6,865
AU Price$ 114,665
Estimated US Price$ 80,000
AU Converted1.4$ 112,000
GST$ 11,200
Sub T$ 123,200
Luxury Car Tax$ 11,485
AU Price$ 134,685
Estimated US Price$ 90,000
AU Converted1.4$ 126,000
GST$ 12,600
Sub T$ 138,600
Luxury Car Tax$ 16,105
AU Price$ 154,705
Estimated US Price$ 100,000
AU Converted1.4$ 140,000
GST$ 14,000
Sub T$ 154,000
Luxury Car Tax$ 20,725
AU Price$ 174,725

DPye_BC

First Name
Durwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Why would there be a 15% to 30% increase in price for a one-year delay when that year's inflation was less than 7%?

-Crissa
I agree and hope that even my low estimates are too high.

On the CT order page, below the deposit, it used to say, "Fully refundable. You will be able to complete your configuration as production nears in late 2021. Tri Motor AWD production is expected to begin in late 2022." So, yeah, it's (hopefully) only about a one-year delay.

Tesla had to have been factoring in a couple of years' inflation in their pricing, so we shouldn't add any from 2020 or 2021. The bls.gov CPI Inflation Calculator says that there has been 7.75% inflation in the last 12 months, so that could be a reasonable starting point.

However, much of my increase was based on Tesla's actual price increases on all of their cars, but, again, I did start the clock right at Nov. 19, 2019. Averaging that out to a one-year figure brings it down to 13%.

Thank you for the feedback.:)

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You also have to recall that price increases for Tesla cars only affect buyers receiving their cars weeks and months (and in some cases) years later, because those already in line do not pay the increases. Their price is locked in when they got in line.

Tesla didn't promise us that, but... they've almost always kept it even when they didn't promise it.

-Crissa
Sponsored