Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
When I ordered in Mid 2020, the price was not advertised, only the FSD price was.

And to make things worse for me and probably many others, maybe we would want to change from Tri to Quad and therefore there would be no previous commitment to a price.

There is hope, at least then we could order it.
Maybe it's the date of the order which secures honoring a discount, regardless of changing to a new model type.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Kumbayamelord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Country flag
I agree and hope that even my low estimates are too high.

On the CT order page, below the deposit, it used to say, "Fully refundable. You will be able to complete your configuration as production nears in late 2021. Tri Motor AWD production is expected to begin in late 2022." So, yeah, it's (hopefully) only about a one-year delay.

Tesla had to have been factoring in a couple of years' inflation in their pricing, so we shouldn't add any from 2020 or 2021. The bls.gov CPI Inflation Calculator says that there has been 7.75% inflation in the last 12 months, so that could be a reasonable starting point.

However, much of my increase was based on Tesla's actual price increases on all of their cars, but, again, I did start the clock right at Nov. 19, 2019. Averaging that out to a one-year figure brings it down to 13%.

Thank you for the feedback.:)
Where do we all stand now that prices are dropping back to original pricing for M3 and MY pretty much worldwide?

Are we thinking now that CT could fall back to original the promised pricing or if not should we at least be perhaps further reigned in now that large inflationary price hikes we were factoring in are coming to a slow. There are also bad economic woes on the horizon which could impact demand further incentivising tesla to keep their price promise.

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
When I ordered in Mid 2020, the price was not advertised, only the FSD price was.

And to make things worse for me and probably many others, maybe we would want to change from Tri to Quad and therefore there would be no previous commitment to a price.

There is hope, at least then we could order it.
Maybe it's the date of the order which secures honoring a discount, regardless of changing to a new model type.
If I were you, I'd think long and hard before agreeing to a significant price change just to get a Quad-Motor CyberTruck. I reserved my Tri-Motor with FSD the night of the reveal because I want an electric truck that will tow a 5th wheel RV. I could justify buying a truck with a <3 second 0-60 only because I need the range and towing capability of the most expensive model. I was happy that I wouldn't have the regret I've felt often from my SR+ Model 3 that doesn't have AWD, track mode, and M3P levels of acceleration. I DO NOT need those things, could not have justified paying for them, but my caveman brain WANTED things I didn't need purely for chest thumping, show off reasons.

When Elon mentioned the Quad-Motor I once again decided I could justify whatever price he put on it because I needed the maximum towing capacity I could get, but when the Tesla Semi came out, with over 40,000 lbs of towing ability, WITH ONLY 3 MOTORS, I had to admit that Quad-Motor is a silly idea. If 3 motors in a semi tractor can get more weight moving than any pick-up truck chassis could ever bring to a halt, I had to admit there is no way to justify four (or frankly, even three) motors. The only change I will consider that would forfeit my $7000 locked in FSD cost would be downgrading to the Dual-Motor if it'd tow ~16,000 lbs and the cost savings made full priced FSD still cheaper.

Folks are going to chime in to extol the virtues of torque vectoring, superior cornering, and tank turns that four motors would provide, but for a work truck, or an RV tow vehicle, or anyone who isn't planning on making a living from their race winnings, these things are unnecessary. I'm going to take the ~$10,000+ that I saved by not getting tempted into superfluous features and sink that money instead into an even nicer RV... Or a Cyber-Quad and the on-board drone Elon hinted at.

Oh lord... there I go again. 🤣

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
If I were you, I'd think long and hard before agreeing to a significant price change just to get a Quad-Motor CyberTruck. I reserved my Tri-Motor with FSD the night of the reveal because I want an electric truck that will tow a 5th wheel RV. I could justify buying a truck with a <3 second 0-60 only because I need the range and towing capability of the most expensive model. I was happy that I wouldn't have the regret I've felt often from my SR+ Model 3 that doesn't have AWD, track mode, and M3P levels of acceleration. I DO NOT need those things, could not have justified paying for them, but my caveman brain WANTED things I didn't need purely for chest thumping, show off reasons.

When Elon mentioned the Quad-Motor I once again decided I could justify whatever price he put on it because I needed the maximum towing capacity I could get, but when the Tesla Semi came out, with over 40,000 lbs of towing ability, WITH ONLY 3 MOTORS, I had to admit that Quad-Motor is a silly idea. If 3 motors in a semi tractor can get more weight moving than any pick-up truck chassis could ever bring to a halt, I had to admit there is no way to justify four (or frankly, even three) motors. The only change I will consider that would forfeit my $7000 locked in FSD cost would be downgrading to the Dual-Motor if it'd tow ~16,000 lbs and the cost savings made full priced FSD still cheaper.

Folks are going to chime in to extol the virtues of torque vectoring, superior cornering, and tank turns that four motors would provide, but for a work truck, or an RV tow vehicle, or anyone who isn't planning on making a living from their race winnings, these things are unnecessary. I'm going to take the ~$10,000+ that I saved by not getting tempted into superfluous features and sink that money instead into an even nicer RV... Or a Cyber-Quad and the on-board drone Elon hinted at.

Oh lord... there I go again. 🤣
You are absolutely right on all points.

BUT ,

I want it all too lol

On my spreadsheet...its only 300 more a month. Its nothing !!. so I say to myself.

I do not expect major price surprises, whatever is revealed, I am sure we can make sense of it.

As far as what we choose...I think when everything settles, just like when we first put our order in, we will all mostly make the prudent decision.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Where do we all stand now that prices are dropping back to original pricing for M3 and MY pretty much worldwide?

Are we thinking now that CT could fall back to original the promised pricing or if not should we at least be perhaps further reigned in now that large inflationary price hikes we were factoring in are coming to a slow. There are also bad economic woes on the horizon which could impact demand further incentivising tesla to keep their price promise.
The drop in prices was due to Tesla build up of inventories for those models as a result of weaker demand.

CT has strong demand with long waiting list. Our hope is that Tesla and Elon don't get greedy and stick to quoted prices when we made those reservations -- and wish each other good luck.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think most saying the quad is a must also say the truck has to be the trickiest truck that ever trucked.

Some people genuinely think they need to build a Supertruck to “win”.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I sympathize with them, because I have a little of it in me. I try to fight it but it sometimes wins. 😬
I want a supertruck like I’ve wanted a Lamborghini for decades as well. (Now Model S Plaid)

I don’t want to pay for a supertruck though. Also, its not a market Tesla needs to be part of to be successful with the Cybertruck.

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag

Some people genuinely think they need to build a Supertruck to “win”.
I sympathize with them, because I have a little of it in me. I try to fight it but it sometimes wins. 😬

OP
OP

Kumbayamelord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Country flag
The drop in prices was due to Tesla build up of inventories for those models as a result of weaker demand.

CT has strong demand with long waiting list. Our hope is that Tesla and Elon don't get greedy and stick to quoted prices when we made those reservations -- and wish each other good luck.
It seems to me that likely there will be two prices, one for people that ordered as at that date with an inflationary increase. Than another for people piling on top of us pre-order people.

It would surprise me if there was more than a marginal increase above inflation to pre-orderies.

My original estimate was mid 2023 back in 2020 and it seems now that was laughably naive. My next best guess (perhaps again with somewhat of an optimism bias) for Australian delivery is late 2024, early 2025.

Is it the case that the one motor variant no longer exists? I pre-ordered single motor and wonder what will happen if I'm forced to change, where I will drop into the queue against others that have pre-ordered.

One benefit to Australians with this timing is that the tax laws in Aus change in 2024-25 financial year so anyone selling TSLA shares to buy their cybertruck will likely face a decreased tax burden than they would otherwise expect (assuming you are earning less than 200k per year)
Sponsored