Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
- Tesla does not hedge the possible price increase in materials for any of its pre-orders
What in gods name makes you think this?

Tesla absolutely hedges raw materials prices and establishes long term contracts to ensure pricing. With the sort of quantities they are dealing with they could not source enough raw materials to produce the cars they do. They just secured a long term deal for lithium. We know they have a long term agreement for stainless steel. There are certain to be long term agreements in place for everything they need in large quantities.

Whoever thinks that Tesla will not increase Cybertruck's price (in one form or another) simply doesn't understand economics
Right back atcha buddy.

Tesla’s margins have been ***Growing*** through this turmoil. If they were getting thrashed by raw materials prices, their margins would be getting hit or breaking even.

If anyone is going to need to increase prices, it is Rivian and they haven’t budged. Rivian needs positive cash flow to grow their business, and they are under growing pressure to produce revenue and profits. If Rivian can lump this out, Tesla with their 30%+ margins isn’t going to even break a sweat.
Sponsored

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
- the cost of basic materials to be used in the CT like copper, nickel, aluminium, chromium went up significantly in the last 1-2 years
- prices for these materials will not decline in the years to come
- Tesla does not hedge the possible price increase in materials for any of its pre-orders
- Whoever thinks that Tesla will not increase Cybertruck's price (in one form or another) simply doesn't understand economics
common statements mixed in with opinion statement Regarding Tesla does not hedge possible price increase in materials. Unless you cite direct evidence,

The “one form or another is a conditional blanket statement so you may argue the statement as fact.

My statement: Reservation holders, when the price was displayed, will receive those prices.

Optional equipment, tires, solar and others, there were no promises to the price.

I will bet you a coke-a-cola, 20oz bottle, I am right.

Last edited:

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
- Whoever thinks that Tesla will not increase Cybertruck's price (in one form or another) simply doesn't understand economics
In economics competition also reduces prices. If a few short years, there are going to be a lot of EV truck offerings available to consumers. Vendors are going to have to forgo some profits if they want to sway people to buy their offerings.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
You have a 5 digit reservation number?… Do you know what envy looks like? (Not jealousy)

Envy is wanting the same as the other person. Jealousy is wanting what the other person has leaving them without.
mines four digit ?

Hubbard05

First Name
Megan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Cybertruck Preorder
Occupation
Physical Therapist
Country flag
How do you know how many digits your reservation number is? Does that tell you when it was ordered?

You have a 5 digit reservation number?… Do you know what envy looks like? (Not jealousy)

Envy is wanting the same as the other person. Jealousy is wanting what the other person has leaving them without.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
How do you know how many digits your reservation number is? Does that tell you when it was ordered?
Your reservation number - 112,744,100 - any other models purchase since announcement and when you reserved = reservation number

If you ordered close to the announcement date, your reservation number will be very little affected with other model purchases. The farther away from the announcement, the more greatly affected. If you ordered months after the announcement, your reservation number is better than you think due to other models purchased are in the number.

Jim Polkowski

First Name
Jim P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Traverse
Country flag
I guess I didn't realize the spreadsheet assumed EVERY dual motor and tri motor ever ordered would have to be fulfilled before the first single motor was produced.
IMO the price will be at least $10,000 more even without any tax rebate. Tesla now has proof they can continue to raise prices as buyers will pay up. They can claim a lot of supply chain problems to justify the increases and fanboys will back them. If I can net my truck for $49000 I will be happy.

But my guess is if the tax rebate is $10,000 the new MSRP sticker price for dual motor will be $69,000 and net to $59,000. The only method to keep the prices as originally stated is competition from Ford, Rivian, and GM (trucks). If Ford can sell the Lighting for $49,000 and maybe GM then Tesla will have to think twice about pissing off customers. Tesla knows the fan base will spend more as they keep raising the price for the M3 and MY.