Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Tesla has raised prices on preorders before. Elon has recently talked in interviews how he had to get up in front of a room of Roadster 1.0 customers and tell them the price would be higher. He describes how bad he felt about it.

I believe Tesla will try and honor the prices to the extent they can, vis-a-vis the $35k M3 which was produced, but briefly. They will probably pad margin with a number of options, and maybe come out with the higher trim (eg 4-motor) first, which is what they usually do.
Two years isn't exactly brief. And they managed to cajole enough Roadster buyers into putting down more for options or stock in the company instead of an across the board price hike.

-Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
By the time we see first deliveries the announced prices will be four years old. Maybe 5 years old, or more. Why would anyone expect those numbers to be doable or honored? No way!
Unless there is a promotional model like the Ford 150 Fleet anything much under 100k will be a bonus IMO.
...Why wouldn't they have put five years of inflation into the pricing? They knew it was going to take at least two years of pre-production plus two years of ramp.

...And then they didn't stop taking reservations at those prices until long after they had a five-year queue.

It would look really bad - like possibly criminal - if they knew they couldn't fit regular inflation under their estimates.

-Crissa

Geo9598

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (Dual Motor)
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
I would suspect there might be some price increases on certain trims, but Tesla will likely do their best to honor their original listing prices the best that they can. Can you imagine a field day the anti-testla media would have with even a one cent pricing increase?
That’s right… and honestly I wish others on here would stop saying they expect the price to increase! If Elon was to ever look at some of these threads on here… he should see an overwhelming amount of…” We fully expect Tesla to honor the original price agreement!! Unless of course he wants to reduce it!” Okay I’m done 😊

flamaest

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of people that are claiming that there will be a price increase on existing CT reservations, have never bought a Tesla using a pre-order.

Anyone who bought a model s, model 3, or model y, before it was actually on the road will tell you that Tesla, as an established company, has never ever increased the original reservation price after you placed a reservation.

The case cited about the original roadster above is a bad example. That increase only occurred because Elon took control of a dying company after firing Martin Eberhard, and realizing that they would go bankrupt unless they contacted the (less than 1000 reservations by the way) people that had placed deposits on those vehicles. Those individuals that bought that car were already wealthy people, and very likely would have laid down whatever amount was necessary to get that car, and keep Tesla afloat.

Things are different now, these new vehicles are being designed for regular people, and from what we saw @ Rivian, if Tesla were to increase reservation prices on REGULAR people, they would be flogged in the media and 50%+ of the reservations would be gone.

It may be very hard to get a Ford lightning or the upcoming silverado ev, but rest assured, most people will buy what they can afford. Tesla would lose a ton of reservations if they played around with people's trust.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
My two cents on 4WD vs AWD...

4WD is when power is equally distributed to all 4 wheels...key word equally and usually in a locked state.

AWD is when power can be distributed to any wheel with the most traction front or back or side to side. This is usually done automatically without user control. Usually not in a locked state and is dynamic according to available traction at all 4 wheels.

If this makes sense without all the technicalities 🙂

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
My impression of the CT reveal is that they tried to do an Apple-style reveal, wowing people with the prices at the end.
When I saw the reveal of the CT I said “Wow! That’s f-in cheap”. I am an Apple fan, but I’ve never made that exclamation after seeing an Apple product reveal. Apple prices usually wow me, but in the opposite way.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
Of course they're not going to raise the price. The additional cost will be in the options, things not shown on the prototype.

More than half of Tesla's price increases were to keep demand low enough so the queue wouldn't be years long, and they'd have had to raise prices in the first week of reservations to do that for the Cybertruck.

-Crissa
could be the most inaccurate take in the history of the internet
- not crissa

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
Country flag
You are dead wrong. Tesla honors their quotes. When they increase prices it is on new orders. I have bought a Model 3 and a Model Y and both times there were price increases between the time I ordered and the time I got the vehicle and Tesla always honored the price they quoted me.
LMAO

I’ll bet you $10000 that the price is not, hasn’t been and won’t be fixed until RESERVATIONS are converted to ORDERS

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
Country flag
The first Cybertruck, the Quad Motor, is at least another year away.

MSRP? I’m guessing $89,990 before options.

A Dual Motor Model Y is now $63,990. No way is the Dual Motor Cybertruck going to be less expensive. Every year the truck is delayed the more expensive it will be.
If the 4 motor costs one penny below the plaid S & C they will never sell another of either model

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I would like to know what makes something “4 wheel drive”?

My car has 2 motors which directly transfer power to the wheels. It is a more direct connection than any 4WD truck on the market. Most 4WD trucks have a differential so it’s not that.

So what exactly makes my car not 4WD versus a Toyota pickup truck?

Same question applies to the tri motor.

I get what the difference between a motor per wheel versus a motor driving a differential is. But you used the term 4 wheel drive here which muddies the water.
The technical differences between 4WD and AWD revolve primarily around differentials.

4WD typically refers to older style vehicles that used a transfer case to engage the drive to the front axle, some of which had additional free wheeling hubs on the wheels to reduce friction losses (later models had auto hubs), but did NOT have a third center differential at all.

This meant that you could not drive in "4WD" on a sealed road without destroying your tyres, because the vehicle could not compensate for wheel rpm whilst turning. These 4WD systems only had a two differentials, one each in the front and rear axle, some had a low range transfer gear which was available in 4WD mode. Because of the 2 differential setup this type of vehicle will always have two driven wheels, one each on the front and rear axle. A differential lock would add another wheel per axle.

AWD on the otherhand either came with a third center differential (Landcruiser, Subaru) or viscous torque split device (VW, Focus etc) that allows for full time 4WD on all surfaces including sealed roads, with minimal (mostly!) extra tyre wear. This adds benefts to on-road driving old style 4WD does not offer at all.

The difference here is that because of the three differentials its possible to have only 1 wheel being driven, which in particular in undulating terrain is a problem. But that is why many come with a locking center differential, which means it is like 4WD with at least two spinning wheels, one on each front and rear axle.

Many off road vehicles also use a rear LSD (limited slip diff) or manually operated rear differential lock which means they have two rear driven wheels and one at the front, for a total of three driven wheels. (Landcruiser, Discovery, Range Rover etc).

Since the early 2000 and since the introduction of ABS many vehicles got traction control and then stability control (ESP) as a result. These were also added to 4WD and AWD vehicles alike, but were more popular and effective on AWD systems as they could distribute power to any desired wheel that had slippage, regardless of if the 4WD was engaged or not, or if it was on or off road for that matter.

A good traction control system, like which is used in Tesla Dual motor vehicles can closely emulate a locked differential, however there is always a time delay as a wheel has to spin first before it is retarded by the brake system. This also reduces available torque and can result in significant loss of vehicle momentum whilst driving on loose surfaces like sand, and is why Landcruiser turns off traction control when you engage the center differential lock so you have full throttle available to spin the wheels and actually move in sand without traction control cutting the throttle to nearly zero.

Now in saying that however, a dual motor Tesla is technically and mechanically superior to a common 4WD setup in that it can be driven in 4WD mode on raod like a AWD because the two motors have an "electronic" center differential. This electronic center differential can also act in a "locked" mode, meaning like a 4WD with transfer case there are at least 2 driven wheels, one in front and one in the rear. Technically the two motor layout also means that torque can be biased to the front or the rear, so drive can be placed to the axle with most traction, without unnecessarily spinning the axle with less traction. A conventional 4WD system cannot do this, but some torque splitting AWD systems can.

A tri motor setup can use this same toque vectoring effect on each of the rear wheels, that have a motor each, the quad motor on each wheel, like the Rician or Hummer EV etc.

So technically a MY Dual motor is a hybrid 4WD and AWD setup, but is better than both combined.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If the 4 motor costs one penny below the plaid S & C they will never sell another of either model
Seriously doubt. The Cybertruck will appeal to people looking at a Model S Plaid or no.

People have some seriously oddball ideas of what Tesla is going to do with the Cybertruck.

Model S is a relatively low volume car. They sell 10s of thousands per year. No Gigapress, no structural pack, old 18650 cells.

Cybertruck is going to be a high volume vehicle. Everything they are doing with the Cybertruck is being designed around high volume production. The goal of the Cybertruck is to shoot them out of the factory as fast as possible. 250,000 - 750,000 per year within 3-4 years.

Thats not a vehicle which sells for six figures.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
People have some seriously oddball ideas of what Tesla is going to do with the Cybertruck.

It will drive on Mars. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want the oddball prize. :alien: