Cybertruck ready for serious off-roading!

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
Mounting and powering a winch is one of my questions as while. The truck also needs bumper hooks. I will definitely be using my CT as a toy hauler to take my Jeep to Moab and will probably wheel both. Jeeps plugin Wrangler is a stepping stone and they will eventually come out with a BEV Wrangler. I am hoping for a 4 motor version with the suspension of the Cybertruck.
No offense but you are dreaming about the Jeep with 4 motors, its a plug in hybrid with a 16 KWH pack
Sponsored

Sgt. Glenn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cybertruckphotography.com
Vehicles
2012 JKU Call of Duty/ Modern Warfare Edition
Occupation
Aerospace Photographer
Country flag
No offense but you are dreaming about the Jeep with 4 motors, its a plug in hybrid with a 16 KWH pack
I am not talking about the hybrid. I have knowledge of their next Wrangler just not the specifics. They will be announcing an all electric Wrangler in a couple years.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
I plan to overland as well, though, my overlanding will also be ready for a road that has rockslid into limited existence, as well as other eventualities that happen in the real world, off the beaten path. I will be traveling everywhere where it's recommended, and some places that aren't advised. Me and my golden retriever, Bam Bam.

One note on bead locks: They are non-compliant with DOT rules, so offered as Off Road only. Sad. Kind of hard to make a full-on Zombie Apocalypse Vehicle without bead locks... or air down properly, in all situations without bead locks. peace

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I plan to overland as well, though, my overlanding will also be ready for a road that has rockslid into limited existence, as well as other eventualities that happen in the real world, off the beaten path. I will be traveling everywhere where it's recommended, and some places that aren't advised. Me and my golden retriever, Bam Bam.

One note on bead locks: They are non-compliant with DOT rules, so offered as Off Road only. Sad. Kind of hard to make a full-on Zombie Apocalypse Vehicle without bead locks... or air down properly, in all situations without bead locks. peace
I have never seen a truck pulled over for beadlocks... or heard about an insurance claim be denied because of them...

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
I have never seen a truck pulled over for beadlocks... or heard about an insurance claim be denied because of them...
Yeah, I haven't been looking for people pulled over for having them, nor checking all insurance claims. I tend to do other things for fun. peace

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
trucks are normally sold as beadlock capable to remove the liability. I have had non bead lock tires that I have air downed that were fine. I wouldn't worry about bead lock unless you got to the area of 10 lbs psi which I feel is unnecessary

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Having rolled a tire from the rim/wheel on the street, if I was the kind to do high speed or very hard rock crawling, I would probably plan on getting beadlockers...

But I plan more on the overlanding style of offroading, so will probably never bother with beadlockers on the CyberTruck.

slomobile

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Roboticist
Country flag
Other Teslas have an open diff, which I think has an e-diff function of braking the slipping wheel to transfer torque to the other side. This wouldn’t be ideal for off-road where wheels often get lifted in the air and have no traction. In that case the brake would have to overcome the full torque of the motor in order to drive the opposite wheel, which would be really rough on the brakes. I’m hoping the CT has either a locking mode or one of the newer clutch pack systems for sending torque side to side.
Braking a spinning wheel with no traction is not difficult or hard on the brake. It is easier than any normal traction braking which must convert the momentum of the entire vehicle to heat, rather than just the momentum of a single unloaded wheel. A clutch operates with friction in the same manner as a brake. Brake or clutch, the effect, and the wear are about the same. Brakes have the advantage because they are further outboard and the stopping force need not be carried through shafts, splines, and joints which can wind up or break.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Wear on a clutch is significantly lower, being that it's enclosed and wet and not meant to grind tons of momentum to a halt.

-Crissa

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Huh?

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
Braking a spinning wheel with no traction is not difficult or hard on the brake. It is easier than any normal traction braking which must convert the momentum of the entire vehicle to heat, rather than just the momentum of a single unloaded wheel. A clutch operates with friction in the same manner as a brake. Brake or clutch, the effect, and the wear are about the same. Brakes have the advantage because they are further outboard and the stopping force need not be carried through shafts, splines, and joints which can wind up or break.
The current Jeep Rubicon does the brakes when the differentials are not locked and it is quite effective. The Rubicon can lock the differentials completely as well.

She is talking about the standard limited slip differential, they use clutches to transfer power to the wheel with grip. They honestly don't do that well long term in more extreme off roading.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
A common self locking differential uses oil viscosity to transfer torque, not clutch plates, many manually locking ones just stop the planetary ring from spinning to put equal torque on both wheels.

But that is not the reason for my comment.

Brakes convert momentum into heat and do so very effectively and repeatedly. If your brakes are "grinding" you to a halt its well time to get new pads. 🙂
Sponsored