Cybertruck ready for serious off-roading!

carpedatum

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, R1200RT, 4285 Express
Country flag
Hi All, I can't find any info on this, I am hoping someone knows or can ask the appropriate people for the answers.
Does anyone know if it will have tow points (front and back) ? It is always nice to be able to help others that are bogged and also good for yourself, incase you get into some area that you shouldn't be in.
I am pretty sure that the computers could make it like it has diff lockers (some or all wheels rotating at the same rate no matter what - like the G wagon from Mercedes). This leads to my next questions.
Since the design is clean - I am not sure that they have considered the connection of winches (front and back), does anyone know? I'm pretty sure that if they haven't considered it from factory then you most likely can't put them in.
+1 - yep, first thing I thought of when I saw this thread - where do we bolt up the winch? How do we safely get great wads of 12V power to it? I'd be surprised if there weren't tow points, as that's pretty easy and not unprecedented for Tesla, but if there's no way to add winches, we can only be so 'serious' about off-roading.
Sponsored

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Hi All, I can't find any info on this, I am hoping someone knows or can ask the appropriate people for the answers.
Does anyone know if it will have tow points (front and back) ? It is always nice to be able to help others that are bogged and also good for yourself, incase you get into some area that you shouldn't be in.
I am pretty sure that the computers could make it like it has diff lockers (some or all wheels rotating at the same rate no matter what - like the G wagon from Mercedes). This leads to my next questions.
Since the design is clean - I am not sure that they have considered the connection of winches (front and back), does anyone know? I'm pretty sure that if they haven't considered it from factory then you most likely can't put them in.
Well, we already know it has a receiver hitch so that takes care of pulling someone connected to the rear. Now, the front has been handled by Tesla with a screw-in tow loop at least in the MY and M3. I would rather hope they have something a little more robust for the CT.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I hope the tri-motor will have a front locker option. I also hope the dual motor will have a front/rear locker option.
I am not sure if they will, as lockers add a lot of weight, complexity, and I think adds some drag, which would effect efficiency. I do see a market for aftermarket, especially if enough CyberTrucks are sold...

And there are many kind of lockers. Here is an article that covers several of the more popular types/brands. https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/...-0909-4x4-lockers-better-traction-4x4-trucks/

gregor

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
off road
Country flag
Remember it will have three motors I think one for each rear wheel and one for the front two. Lockers on a Tesla wouldn't need additional parts - just a 'few' lines of code would make the rear function like it has lockers. The front, might be more tricky - so maybe it could perform like three wheels are locked (better than just the rear two) without any additional mechanics.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I agree. Limited slip differentials, transfer cases, driveshafts, u-joints and all of the “old school” 4WD mechanical hardware will become obsolete with the Cybertruck.

gregor

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
off road
Country flag
Just thinking of a 'needed' aftermarket - for the spare wheel/s. If we go bush here some say you should have two spares (and high lift jack). The current Tesla line up I am pretty sure they don't have spares in the car and you call Tesla to come and change your tyre for you. This might be a bit challenging if out bush. Does anyone know if the rims bead locked? I can't tell from the pictures. I am sure that they consulted some experienced people on 'should be' functions to consider on the cybertruck.

The aftermarket opportunity on nudge bars, rock sliders, winches, windshield branch deflectors etc. if there isn't an appropriate chassis connection points (because of the exoskeleton) then these appropriate modifications could be a challenge to have them installed without some big engineering, I hope there is a chance to customise the truck depending on how hard you want to go.
The side windows look sunken behind frame, but currently not the windscreen, I'm thinking that a windscreen could be a costly replacement, I know a couple of people who needed to replace their windscreen after going bush,

Jyak

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR, Model Y LR, Cybertruck reserved.
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
12V.. my M3 has a 12v. I suspect CT will too. Unsure on whether it is suitable for powering a winch.
Hopefully they'll include some mount points for various things to avoid having to involve a welder. The CT will replace my Jeep.. while I don't off road a ton, it has been fun being able to buy and install a billion different things on the jeep to allow more capability and less damage on the trail. If cybertruck wants to compete with the Jeep, they should follow Ford's lead with the new Bronco. It improves on a the wrangler in many ways, but it has a gas engine. Jeeps half assed upcoming "electric" options are a joke and after owning the M3, I won't be be buying any more vehicles that aren't 100% electric for the rest of my life. Cybertruck can grab a lot of the Jeep market share if it fills the same role as Jeep.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I don't see the Cybertruck being able to use a proper winch like a jeep does. If you connect it to the 12v battery, you could reduce the life of the 12v battery as well as the DC/DC converter. The cybertruck will have 120-240v plugs but those are AC and you would need a converter for those as well. I don't see them being too affective.

I don't think I would put a Winch on my cybertruck unless Tesla released a better way that could surely do the job.

One thing to remember is the Cybertruck is more of a jack of all trades, master of none. I wouldn't take as many risks with my Cybertruck as I do with my jeep, I've already rolled my jeep twice and it's fine. No doors, no side windows or windshield, extremely cheap side mirrors, it is built to take a hit and be fine. The Cybertruck however, while it will be good for offroading, it's not like i'm going to try to drive up the side of nearly vertical hill or launch it off the top of a hill. While i'm sure it would survive, I might also be out thousands of dollars for glass repairs. Might put some bigger mud wheels on the Cyberquad to do that stuff.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The point of AC is that you lose nearly no power changing the voltage. It's the most perfect conversion we have. The DC-DC conversion is less efficient, but can be more efficient than an inverter for some processes. But if you already have an inverter running... ^-^

You lower the lifetime of the battery and the alternator in an ICE vehicles when you tap off it, too.

-Crissa

Sgt. Glenn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cybertruckphotography.com
Vehicles
2012 JKU Call of Duty/ Modern Warfare Edition
Occupation
Aerospace Photographer
Country flag
It depends on what you mean by offroading. . . I'm a former "Eat, Sleep, and Jeep" guy, if you are talking about taking it to Moab or Colorado and running some Jeep trails, I'm not sure the CT is up to that. I think if you just want to do some light Overlanding, that will be fine.
I will be towing my 2012 JKU with my Cybertruck to Moab and wheel both.

Sgt. Glenn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Occupation
Aerospace Photographer
Country flag
Well, we already know it has a receiver hitch so that takes care of pulling someone connected to the rear. Now, the front has been handled by Tesla with a screw-in tow loop at least in the MY and M3. I would rather hope they have something a little more robust for the CT.
I think they will. Most truck have hooks in the front.

Sgt. Glenn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Occupation
Aerospace Photographer
Country flag
12V.. my M3 has a 12v. I suspect CT will too. Unsure on whether it is suitable for powering a winch.
Hopefully they'll include some mount points for various things to avoid having to involve a welder. The CT will replace my Jeep.. while I don't off road a ton, it has been fun being able to buy and install a billion different things on the jeep to allow more capability and less damage on the trail. If cybertruck wants to compete with the Jeep, they should follow Ford's lead with the new Bronco. It improves on a the wrangler in many ways, but it has a gas engine. Jeeps half assed upcoming "electric" options are a joke and after owning the M3, I won't be be buying any more vehicles that aren't 100% electric for the rest of my life. Cybertruck can grab a lot of the Jeep market share if it fills the same role as Jeep.
Mounting and powering a winch is one of my questions as while. The truck also needs bumper hooks. I will definitely be using my CT as a toy hauler to take my Jeep to Moab and will probably wheel both. Jeeps plugin Wrangler is a stepping stone and they will eventually come out with a BEV Wrangler. I am hoping for a 4 motor version with the suspension of the Cybertruck.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I hope Tesla gets the CT correct right out of the gate. It‘s their first pickup truck and off-road vehicle. That is a LOT of details to get right. I will coming from a Toyota pickup, my 4th one with a bulletproof reputation, to a brand new Tesla model that has zero manufacturing experience building an off-road pickup truck.

My biggest question is in regards to the CT battery cells. Will Tesla wait until the new tabless 4680 battery cells are in mass production before they give the green light to start manufacturing the CT?

This is best official answer that I could find...

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/09/26/teslas-new-homemade-batteries-are-in-cars-on-the-road-today/
Sponsored

Last edited: