Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I was thinking, it would be nice if my CT would track all the driving I'd done off-road and show me both the tracks that I had not yet experienced but also the tracks I'd taken. I'd like to have a community of people with recommended trails to drive plus notes on what to do/see on the trail. From what I've seen there are already some communities out there with some of this. But if my CT tracked where I had been and then showed me some alternate routes/sites to visit in the area on a second trip it would be cool. For the completist type personalities out there, one could try to traverse all the trails in a certain area.

Probably for better coverage, something like a Garmin would work better. But it would be really nice if the functionality was all integrated into the CT so that it was easy to tell the CT where to direct me to go. I'd like to spend more time looking out the window rather than looking at my devices and maps.

Plus if I could catalog/download my travel histories it would be nice to integrate the data into an online diary/scrapbook kind of page.
Sponsored

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Todd, the Cyber truck Truck Guy has a YouTube channel (by that name) and one of his videos was on the off road trails community. You should search for his stuff. He is on here too. He has some good stuff and can guide you on trail maps and such. He is also planning a CT trail ride.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
First: I have noticed that modern GPS systems have stopped dropping breadcrumbs. This can be very useful (they helped me find the Budapest airport in the dark well before the days of electronic maps - I didn't know where the hell I was but I did know where I had been and that the airport wasn't there). It would be very useful if breadcrumbs were restored. Perhaps the user could turn them on and off. Currently streets/roadways are a big part of navigation displays. The systems never know exactly where you are but rather try to estimate that from observation of sattelite pseudo range combined with the fact that you are probably on a road. When going off road this will no longer be the case. The OEMs will have to re-think how they do their nav displays.

Second: Current Tesla's, and thus presumably the CT, can be queried by third party apps and several pieces of information, such as location, speed, temperature... obtained. There are a couple of apps that do this with TeslaFi perhaps being the best known. This app displays maps of where you have driven over the whole time you have been registered with TeslaFi (and paid their fee). The maps are a bit crude as they only poll the car once per minute. To do so more often obviously increases the company's computation, storage and communications costs but they too will have to recognize that with the CT there is going to be more offroad data coming in that there used to be. Perhaps they, or another 3rd party, will develop a system that scratches OP's itch.

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Garmin InReach also saves all tracks if configured to do so. I prefer a non-built-in product because onboard Nav systems have aged poorly in vehicles. Newer product, newer capabilities, more support and updates.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I prefer a non-built-in product because onboard Nav systems have aged poorly in vehicles. Newer product, newer capabilities, more support and updates.
I would agree with you for most electronic products.

The exception though would be Tesla products. Tesla seems to really separate the dependencies between hardware and software. Thus allowing the software to be updated over the air and keep up to date with all their new developments. In this case, I would prefer the built in product that I don't have to keep track of or lug around separately.

"Wait, did I remember to put the GPS back in the car after our last trip?"

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Garmin InReach also saves all tracks if configured to do so. I prefer a non-built-in product because onboard Nav systems have aged poorly in vehicles. Newer product, newer capabilities, more support and updates.
Over-the-air updates, my friend.

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Oh, I agree with the idea Tesla will do Nav the way it should be done. I am only speaking to my current personal experience. I am looking at you, Daimler Chrysler Fiat Stellantis.....what a pile of sh*te when it comes to keeping current on Nav map updates. And their OTA updates are spectacularly shaky at best.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
You laugh but I used to work with a guy whose truck looked like that. From the outside it looked like a porcupine. "Hello, mom?"

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
You laugh but I used to work with a guy whose truck looked like that. From the outside it looked like a porcupine. "Hello, mom?"
Maybe one day we’ll see a cyber sea urchin. Hey

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I would pay for an app that took time lapse images (and/or video) from all cameras on the CT and combined it with position data.

Think about all the things about to be recorded in the wild?! Would mean not having to mount a GoPro on your truck to capture your off-road adventure.

One just has to watch a few episodes of Wham Basm Teslacam to know that having something that is constantly recording can capture a wide variety of stuff.

But why does a Tesla need to use GPS? There are closer, more plentiful sources of positional data available to someone that can receive Starlink connections... even if not full internet bandwidth, I think it would be possible to receive packets that would basically act as GPS from Starlink satellites. (I await for those with more knowledge to tell me why or why not this is a good idea).

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Starlink needs GPS to know where to look for their satellites, I think. GPS stars also don't need as clear a shot to hear them.

So you use the GPS data to give a rough location so you can puzzle-piece your image passes together.

-Crissa
Sponsored