Cybertruck ready for serious off-roading!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Tesla needs enough battery supply to make the Cybertruck. Full production would be when they can supply all of their vehicles... But we can be pretty sure that the Cybertruck's ramp-up will match the ramp-up of the 4680.

The Cybertruck will get the in-house batteries while the new S will get them from one of their in-house suppliers. (Because Elon said the high-nickel batteries were Tesla made ones, and he said high-nickel were for the Cybertruck and Semi; and the batteries for the S are made under the partnership at Giga Nevada...)

-Crissa
Sponsored

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
As recently stated in an interview, they have had vehicles driving around on the new batteries since May, so while a pilot production and yield is not where they would like it, they are actually producing these new cells now.

My take on the phrase Elon used 'serious mass production' to mean that mass production will be sooner, so before 12 to 18 months, but the crazy speed of production they are hoping to get out of this new cell production line will take the 12 to 18 months.

I am not sure about the Plaid Model S being Panasonic or Tesla cells, as I could seem them doing that more expensive trim level (Plaid) more custom built than a regular Model S.

Only time will tell.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I hope Tesla gets the CT correct right out of the gate. It‘s their first pickup truck and off-road vehicle. That is a LOT of details to get right. I will coming from a Toyota pickup, my 4th one with a bulletproof reputation, to a brand new Tesla model that has zero manufacturing experience building an off-road pickup truck.

My biggest question is in regards to the CT battery cells. Will Tesla wait until the new tabless 4680 battery cells are in mass production before they give the green light to start manufacturing the CT?

This is best official answer that I could find...

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/09/26/teslas-new-homemade-batteries-are-in-cars-on-the-road-today/
A lot can happen at Tesla in a year. I would imagine initial CT production volume will be fairly low and production will ramp up at the same time as battery production in Austin does.

sdcyber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
honda ridgeline
Country flag
Nothing to get hooked or tangled up under there, nice.
I wonder where we would bolt up rock rails? Are the stock bumpers steel behind some plastic? Either way I can't imagine turning this into even a moderate rock crawler.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I wonder where we would bolt up rock rails? Are the stock bumpers steel behind some plastic?
The truck is made of a hardened steel, so it's not as susceptible to impingement as conventional vehicles.

We'll have to see if Elon comes forward with their 'Baja' idea or not.

-Crissa

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I wonder where we would bolt up rock rails? Are the stock bumpers steel behind some plastic? Either way I can't imagine turning this into even a moderate rock crawler.
Weld them to the bottom. Some rock rails/sliders for Jeeps require this now, though some are just bolt-on.

Might need to have a plate to help spread out the force and not just weld the tube (square or round) to the skin.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Cybertruck has an opportunity to re-invent the offroad experience. Disconnected from gears, gas and sprung suspension Cybertruck can leverage torque, joules and “ just works” magic of computational algorithmics on traction, rebound and bounce offering an entirely new experience onroad and off.

Otherwise, its back to the barn, coilovers, shocks and struts.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
People are finding that the length of the Jeep Gladiator is making a few situations more challenging, either due to the over all length or the break over angle. But, that length makes other obstacles easier to navigate...

I do not plan on rock crawling my CyberTruck. Overlanding, sure.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I really hope someone shows them why beadlockers are a thing and then maybe they can make a sci-fi beadlocker rim?

TruckDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor
Country flag
I really hope someone shows them why beadlockers are a thing and then maybe they can make a sci-fi beadlocker rim?
Yep. It will be the subject of endless memes. "When your truck is bullet-proof, but your wheel covers get destroyed by street curbs and 3 inch rocks..."

TruckDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor
Country flag
Lately, pulling up behind every truck at stoplights, I have noticed how low the differential and shocks hang.

It is obvious how they get easily stuck in sand and mud when these items start dragging bottom. I noticed a 2021 Tahoe today that looked really low. Looked it up, 7.9 inches, but seemed lower than that.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Lately, pulling up behind every truck at stoplights, I have noticed how low the differential and shocks hang.

It is obvious how they get easily stuck in sand and mud when these items start dragging bottom. I noticed a 2021 Tahoe today that looked really low. Looked it up, 7.9 inches, but seemed lower than that.
My Subaru has that more ground clearance than that...
Sponsored