Cybertruck ready for serious off-roading!

CTruckTooBig

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TriMotor
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Skid plate on the bottom like all Tesla's. Protect the battery on the bottom.

MARSROVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW
Occupation
Ed.
Country flag
It depends on what you mean by offroading. . . I'm a former "Eat, Sleep, and Jeep" guy, if you are talking about taking it to Moab or Colorado and running some Jeep trails, I'm not sure the CT is up to that. I think if you just want to do some light Overlanding, that will be fine.

Jtaylor

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Tundra, 15 ES 350, 87 4Runner
Occupation
Professor
Country flag
Will it have hi low gearing or just AWD?

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
I hope it has an off road mode that changes the throttle response. The issue is not going to be can it off road or can it crawl but can we control the throttle to use the torque without going too much and cause spinning which causes the brakes to stop the spin.

With all the tech we should have as good if not better than the off road screens in a Jeep JL to see what is happening to the CT.

Jtaylor

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Tundra, 15 ES 350, 87 4Runner
Occupation
Professor
Country flag
It doesn’t need low gears. Electric motors have maximum torque at 0 rpm so are perfect for off roading
Thanks! I hope it has some type of wheel management system like the 4runner trail I had so that it can pull itself out of muck. It does not look like there will be a place for a winch!

Cyber Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4 Runner, Isuzu Trooper
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
Country flag
My CyberTruck will be a replacement for my surf fishing tackle box, a ’99 Isuzu Trooper. Its purpose will be to carry my coffee, music, and surf fishing gear on the beach. Hopefully,
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck ready for serious off-roading! Trooper
it will do well on the beach and not get stuck in the sand.

Wanderer351

First Name
Wanderer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 E350 ford Sportsmobile , 2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Fabricator
Country flag
After looking at the traction controls on the sport models that allow slip start and stability and traction control...it probably won't even need lockers, however there is a company making this limited slip differential for the current Tesla's that's a bolt in much like the track lock.

the Cyber trucks not really that going to be great in tight situations because it's as long as my extended base cargo van. However I have had that down many trails.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck ready for serious off-roading! FB_IMG_1573688577137

Camper Van Someren

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Focus RS, 2015 Sienna AWD, 2002 Ranger
Country flag
Rivian has a motor for each wheel which seems ideal for off-road traction. CT gives us the option of 1-3 motor so there will always be a motor powering 2 wheels. Any idea how this is managed?

Other Teslas have an open diff, which I think has an e-diff function of braking the slipping wheel to transfer torque to the other side. This wouldn’t be ideal for off-road where wheels often get lifted in the air and have no traction. In that case the brake would have to overcome the full torque of the motor in order to drive the opposite wheel, which would be really rough on the brakes. I’m hoping the CT has either a locking mode or one of the newer clutch pack systems for sending torque side to side.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Rivian has a motor for each wheel which seems ideal for off-road traction. CT gives us the option of 1-3 motor so there will always be a motor powering 2 wheels. Any idea how this is managed?

Other Teslas have an open diff, which I think has an e-diff function of braking the slipping wheel to transfer torque to the other side. This wouldn’t be ideal for off-road where wheels often get lifted in the air and have no traction. In that case the brake would have to overcome the full torque of the motor in order to drive the opposite wheel, which would be really rough on the brakes. I’m hoping the CT has either a locking mode or one of the newer clutch pack systems for sending torque side to side.
Many advanced off road traction control systems work this way very well (terrain response from Land Rover) and many other versions that followed from other manufacturers. Considering most vehicles use ONE motor to power 4 wheels, i am sure Tesla can optimize 2 to 3 motors powering 4 wheels.

Imagine what they can do with locked front and rear diffs and a motor at each axle. You have now removed a huge amount of mechanical companents that are normally damaged when off road. Driveshafts, transfer cases, dual transfer cases. No we basically just have to contend with CV joints and the reduction gear box which is already designed to with stand a TON of abuse from instant torque. Protecting the batteries is probably a non issue. just super thick metal of some kind.

Im more concerned about water fording abilities, how deep can it go?

Camper Van Someren

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Focus RS, 2015 Sienna AWD, 2002 Ranger
Country flag
Many advanced off road traction control systems work this way very well (terrain response from Land Rover) and many other versions that followed from other manufacturers. Considering most vehicles use ONE motor to power 4 wheels, i am sure Tesla can optimize 2 to 3 motors powering 4 wheels.

Imagine what they can do with locked front and rear diffs and a motor at each axle. You have now removed a huge amount of mechanical companents that are normally damaged when off road. Driveshafts, transfer cases, dual transfer cases. No we basically just have to contend with CV joints and the reduction gear box which is already designed to with stand a TON of abuse from instant torque. Protecting the batteries is probably a non issue. just super thick metal of some kind.

Im more concerned about water fording abilities, how deep can it go?
Actually reading about Land Rover Terrain Response it sounds like they have a locking front and rear differential that can be adjusted intelligently. They have also added a “twinster” system on the Evoque that is also used on my Focus RS to provide torque vectoring to each rear wheel. It is more intelligent than a locking diff because you can send up to 70% torque to a single wheel.

I have no doubt that Tesla could optimize off-road traction given the options out there, but they haven’t done that yet on any vehicle. Given that the 3 trim options sound like the currently available drivetrains and the new “plaid” drivetrain, I hope they don’t just re-use those (including open diffs) and call it a day to save money.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Actually reading about Land Rover Terrain Response it sounds like they have a locking front and rear differential that can be adjusted intelligently. They have also added a “twinster” system on the Evoque that is also used on my Focus RS to provide torque vectoring to each rear wheel. It is more intelligent than a locking diff because you can send up to 70% torque to a single wheel.

I have no doubt that Tesla could optimize off-road traction given the options out there, but they haven’t done that yet on any vehicle. Given that the 3 trim options sound like the currently available drivetrains and the new “plaid” drivetrain, I hope they don’t just re-use those (including open diffs) and call it a day to save money.
Front differential always, rear differential Usually, are open in land rover vehicles. The LR3 (which i own) had an option for an electronic rear locking diff. Although rare and seems more trouble than its worth. The center diff is the intelligent locking differential because Land Rovers are Full time 4wd. When my LR3 is off road most people assume it is fully locked because of the way the terrain response system operates. I cannot remember the last time land rover offered factory full locking differentials, even the new defender does not have that option, just rear and center for now.

My fiancee owns the evoque, this system is awesome for what it is. I really enjoy driving that little thing. However for off road i would stick with the LR3 style system. I have pulled buried 2WD half ton trucks out of soft sand without even slipping. You just put it into sand mode and hammer down, traction control did the rest. It was a feature that shocked me big time coming from Many different more analog off road vehicles in the past.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gold Run Ranch Cypertruck
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Dual Motor
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
M
Skid plate on the bottom like all Tesla's. Protect the battery on the bottom.
My Model 3 has a plastic skid plate. I ran over a traffic cone and several parts of the skid plate were damaged.
I expect that the CT will have a 30X stainless steel skid plate that is part of the exoskeleton. ?
Sponsored