Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Where did this concept of "Wolverine" come from? Elon said potentially a smaller version, but wolverine is a fan term, right? It's not a term anyone at Tesla has ever used?
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck reservations halted outside North America B00758CD-9563-4568-8C09-7C4E97E6F138
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
There is a difference of opinion here.

Some people think the Cybertruck is “Cool Funky Supertruck”. It will be expensive and exclusive. They don’t think Tesla has the ability to offer anything significantly better in terms of bang for the buck.

Others think it will just be what Tesla announced. The first electric truck which is cost competitive and functionally competitive with ICE trucks. These folks see the Cybertruck’s design as an optimization to massively reduce costs. That plus Tesla‘s scale and engineering will give them a massive cost/ performance edge.

If you are in the first school of thought, then the Cybertruck ends up in PT Cruiser land. If you are in the second school of thought then the Cybertruck becomes popular not because it’s a niche car, but because the cost advantage is so huge. It is like the VW bug of the truck world. Funky looking but so much of a bargain it becomes ubiquitous and sticks around forever.

I’m in the second school of thought. I think in 10 years you won’t be able to toss a stick without hitting a Cybertruck.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The PT was considered cute, but it never scored well on any practical terms. It actually kinda sucked.

Once dealers couldn't mark it up, they dropped it like a hot stone.

-Crissa
Same thing happened with the Subaru Baja and the Honda Element. Both of which were IMO quite decent vehicles. Though I think their funky looks had more to do with their semi-niche utility.

In particular, the Element was fantastic.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Really, when you are shaving back your advertising whether by region or reducing the amount of information provided its to protect yourself. My guess on the region is strictly supply. Tesla will struggle to fullfill orders on this continent for a long time and they don't have a solution to produce them on other continents soon. Its better to get that bad news out there sooner than later. If I were in another country and orders started getting shipped and I was in this limbo period waiting to be able to order for years without any direction, I would be livid. So better to tell them now.

I think its the same with removing the configurations and pricing. Its always better to give people time to acclimate to change. If the reveal pricing went from $69k to $89k for the trimotor overnight people would lose it. But give them a year of no pricing and its not nearly as big of a surprise.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I’m in the second school of thought.
Same here. I'm not wanting the CT because of its looks. I want the CT in spite of its looks. If Tesla could make the truck look like a conventional truck but still be 3mm Stainless, still have 500 miles range, still ... (list all CT specs here), and still sell for $40k, $50k and $70K I'd choose that instead of the wedge. But they can't, and I'll happily live with the strange looking design to keep all awesome specs at a decent price.

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I think its the same with removing the configurations and pricing. Its always better to give people time to acclimate to change. If the reveal pricing went from $69k to $89k for the trimotor overnight people would lose it. But give them a year of no pricing and its not nearly as big of a surprise.
You keep saying that it'll be more expensive than a Rivian for some reason.

-Crissa

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
There is a difference of opinion here.

Some people think the Cybertruck is “Cool Funky Supertruck”. It will be expensive and exclusive. They don’t think Tesla has the ability to offer anything significantly better in terms of bang for the buck.

Others think it will just be what Tesla announced. The first electric truck which is cost competitive and functionally competitive with ICE trucks. These folks see the Cybertruck’s design as an optimization to massively reduce costs. That plus Tesla‘s scale and engineering will give them a massive cost/ performance edge.

If you are in the first school of thought, then the Cybertruck ends up in PT Cruiser land. If you are in the second school of thought then the Cybertruck becomes popular not because it’s a niche car, but because the cost advantage is so huge. It is like the VW bug of the truck world. Funky looking but so much of a bargain it becomes ubiquitous and sticks around forever.

I’m in the second school of thought. I think in 10 years you won’t be able to toss a stick without hitting a Cybertruck.

It is the Dodge Caravan of our time.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck reservations halted outside North America 1652812748348

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
7 seat SUV, mini van, commercial van?