Cybertruck Rims?

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
The Cybertruck will have most likely 35" All-Terrain Tires. Those tires do expand out past the rim (look at Full-Size Trucks out on the road today). I am not worried about the Rims getting road rash.

A helpful tip to prevent road rash in your current Teslas is to create a new driver profile, let's call it "Parking" and keep your seat/steering wheel positions the same but tilt your mirrors down to be able to see your back wheels. That way whens its time to parallel park or when driving through a tight drive through you just simply hit the "Parking" driver profile and your mirrors will adjust to assist you in not scraping your rims.
I believe thereā€™s already a setting for tilting the mirrors automatically when reversing. I donā€™t know how long it holds though, so your suggestion may be necessary to keep seeing a low view when going a bit forwards as well of course.

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
I believe thereā€™s already a setting for tilting the mirrors automatically when reversing. I donā€™t know how long it holds though, so your suggestion may be necessary to keep seeing a low view when going a bit forwards as well of course.
You are correct, but as soon as you switch to drive then the mirrors go back to a normal position. So creating that new driver profile keeps the mirrors in the best spot to watch your back wheels.
I find helpful when parallel parking or goin through tight turns like in a drive through

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
I wonder if the Model 3 parking sensors or side camera could be programmed in such a way to provide a warning if it appears a "scuffing" is about to occur? I rarely see another Model 3 without a beat up rim.
Hopefully that could be done. I am uncertain the height limitations on the current sensors. Like if it senses only 6" or higher. That would be nice to know

OP
OP
Old Pro

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
In other words, these people need to learn to drive better. ?
Is there a rental company in Omaha that has Tesla's? Drive one and see what the discussion is all about.

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
That was my understanding. That should take care of the scuffing issue. On the CT side of things, the plastic covers on the demo looked stupid to me. Underneath they were the Black Arachnid wheels they sell, which are super cool. I'm hoping the truck comes with standard rims, and if not I'd be ditching the covers right away.
I too am not a fan of the wheel covers on Cybertruck, or the special tires with the grooved sidewall. Production versions would be wise to go with something factory spec like Duratrac tires that seem ubiquitous with ā€œoff roadā€ trim levels from the big 3. Im hoping for a black H1 looking ā€œmill-surpā€ wheel as opposed to a 22ā€ Model X wheel, it would go with the ā€˜future tankā€™ aesthetic Elon claims to be shooting for.

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
Time will tell as I am around the 300k ish CT in line. But ultimately I'm assuming I'm going to get a set of 4 Michelin's for every day use on a separate set of rims. And use the stock ones for camping and off-roading. This is personal experience with my current Suburban K. If I left my expensive nobby tires on all year they only last 2 full years.. So I currently use Michelin's for every day use as they feel smoother and last a long time. My nobby ones for camping and off-roading (sand dunes). When I as younger and nieve I still have my low profile ones for Weddings or special occasions.

Once I get my CT both my Equinox and Burb will be sold each with there respective tires/rim combos.

I'm so done with these g@s clunkers.

OP
OP
Old Pro

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Time will tell as I am around the 300k ish CT in line. But ultimately I'm assuming I'm going to get a set of 4 Michelin's for every day use on a separate set of rims. And use the stock ones for camping and off-roading. This is personal experience with my current Suburban K. If I left my expensive nobby tires on all year they only last 2 full years.. So I currently use Michelin's for every day use as they feel smoother and last a long time. My nobby ones for camping and off-roading (sand dunes). When I as younger and nieve I still have my low profile ones for Weddings or special occasions.

Once I get my CT both my Equinox and Burb will be sold each with there respective tires/rim combos.

I'm so done with these g@s clunkers.
I wonder what the CT tire specs will require for sidewall strength, etc. My old 1979 VW Bus had particular tire specs for weight and steering safety.

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
If what everyone says is true, I will likely get 17" beadlock steel wheels for 40" tires - quite likely. But, I will first see what Elon offers as upgrades. I might be willing to go with 38s if they are an option at Tesla... this truck is screaming for larger wheels (huge truck makes even 35s look small, that says something), and larger is always better with wheels/tires, for off-road ability, safety, and overall ride... but, we won't know until we know. peace
Not sure the sacrifice on take would be worth it, for me. Would probably be pretty significant.

Deleted member 5322

I had this option in my 2008 Audi A6. It is a super feature! never rashed my rims

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
Going off of pictures of the CT and guessing they will come with 35" tires, rime size to be at least 20"

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Yeah I hope them rims be bulletproof too. Maybe even curb proof!
I got it, dent proof!
This is tire design. My KO2ā€™s kickaway rocks, boulder and curbs. But I hate rims that rely on scraper beads to take first bite. Its a maintenance item at the detailers that sucks a day for rim repair alone.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Is there a rental company in Omaha that has Tesla's? Drive one and see what the discussion is all about.
Turo is here. I just got test drives from friends and relatives within the area that have Teslaā€™s. They are overjoyed to tell you in minute detail all the happiness driving a Tesla brings. It sold me.

xodarap1

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick Encore, Nissan Sentra, >>> Cybertruck TM
Occupation
Security
Country flag
I like these plastic hub covers on the wheels . Looks so brutal!
I like them too, but mostly because I'll be able to just take them off when I want to. As for curb rash, I live in the north country boonies and can't tell you the last time I parked our vehicles curbside.
Sponsored