Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
In a factory that wasn't ready yet with batteries that hadn't ramped up production?

-Crissa
😊You make a good point. I remember when the desktop computer first came out in the 1990. I was told to buy the computer with the best software, rather than just focusing on the best computer.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Good sales for Tesla, possible not so good for us.. IF we were to get in a major accident and our vehicle gets scrap, Will we be able to get a replacement?? soon or wait 4 years ????

And if it was the other person's fault Will the other insurance supply a rental car till the new Cybertruck is delivered????
This is why a new reservation is needed annually.

Spartacus

First Name
I said Mark with a "C"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra, Prius, KTM Super Duke
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I guess, teething issues have effected the Y and stretched out timelines for other products.
Hopefully they will be over that soon, and when it's the CT's turn, production plans will not be impeded by unknowns.
If manufacturing issues came up on the Y model in Austin, something they have made in multiples of thousands previously. Then issues are bound to happen on a vehicle NOBODY has a clue of how to make right now. Don't hold your breathe on early or even "on-time" delivery cuz the landscape will be littered with unknowns.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Yea,

I guess there was a lag due to Covid, but they then chose Austin and spent 6 months getting the land ready for construction. This would not have been in their original estimates.

And then..
Here we are, end of May, and we are only seeing a trickle of Y's coming out. I expected a more meaningful volume by now,,, say 1000 pr week.

I guess, teething issues have effected the Y and stretched out timelines for other products.
Hopefully they will be over that soon, and when it's the CT's turn, production plans will not be impeded by unknowns.
Berlin has been producing Y's for a few weeks or maybe a month or so before Austin. Berlin is only doing 86 per day. Austin seems to be close to that if not far behind. So nothing seems amiss.

https://www.torquenews.com/1/tesla-...s-show-moderate-progress-big-expectation-july

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
😊You make a good point. I remember when the desktop computer first came out in the 1990. I was told to buy the computer with the best software, rather than just focusing on the best computer.
Desktop computers were out long before 1990! I had an already old second hand Amiga in 1990.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Germany had many more months working on the innards while the red tap was being sorted out.

Austin is much larger, and while I totally agree that they should know how to build the Y by now, my mind wondered over to the internal fit out to streamline parts delivery, staff training etc.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
If manufacturing issues came up on the Y model in Austin, something they have made in multiples of thousands previously. Then issues are bound to happen on a vehicle NOBODY has a clue of how to make right now. Don't hold your breathe on early or even "on-time" delivery cuz the landscape will be littered with unknowns.
The production issues are not related to the Model Y itself. In Austin the limiting factor is the ramp of 4680 cells. Berlin is dependent upon China for 2170 battery packs so Shanghai's COVID lockdown inevitably had repercussions.

That said they definitely won't be making 250k CT's the first year of production.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The production issues are not related to the Model Y itself. In Austin the limiting factor is the ramp of 4680 cells. Berlin is dependent upon China for 2170 battery packs so Shanghai's COVID lockdown inevitably had repercussions.

That said they definitely won't be making 250k CT's the first year of production.
That will be the limit.

Next year, at least, this year it's apparently still chips for the cars and machines.

-Crissa
Sponsored