Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yep, and during one of those moments that you are looking to the right and down at the screen...
...Or over at the mirrors, or check your speedometer, or check your corners... The position on the dash is no more distracting.

-Crissa
Sponsored

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

MisterL

First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Configured
Country flag
Can’t see the storage area in the floor of the vault. This truck doesn’t seem to have that feature unless its really really invisible. Could it be opened only from within the vehicle, a pop up maybe with a release button from the display?

AeroKnot

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Landcruiser
Country flag
...Or over at the mirrors, or check your speedometer, or check your corners... The position on the dash is no more distracting.

-Crissa
Hi Crissa, I feel that there is an important difference in having to look for detailed information on the screen off to the right and down, and glancing at your metioned items, all of which would keep your peripheral vision up and centered enough to make out an approaching problem more than the CT screen.
Although our "Field of sight" covers 170 degrees horizontally, our Peripheral vision covers 100 deg. so only 50 deg left or right of our central vision. Peripheral vision is "weak at distinguishing color, shape or detail" (Scientific American). A similar existing error chain start is cell phone use, where 23% of all auto accidents are now linked to . Intuitively, I think that also makes sense. Most moving macines have the most critical info displays placed centrally, such as speed, oil pressure, water temperature, altitude, or water depth.
But I consider myself to be an "involved" driver, I like to know what is going on outside the vehicle, and also "under the hood". I do think that many potential buyers of Teslas just want to drive (or be driven) in a car with as little involvement as possible. So the look of a clean, empty dashboard with white "marble" appliques works for them. To me thats like driving a bathroom vanity ;-)
-Brian
USCG licensed Captain, 1600 tons, Oceans
FAA Licensed Pilot, Single Engine, IFR, Jet Mechanic (A&P)
Very Amateur race car driver and offroader

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Hi Crissa, I feel that there...
That's not evidence.

USCG licensed Captain, 1600 tons, Oceans
FAA Licensed Pilot, Single Engine, IFR, Jet Mechanic (A&P)
Very Amateur race car driver and offroader
That's an argument of authority. And I would find it also false.

You're changing your focus when checking mirrors or displays. Moving your head to check mirrors doesn't check your corners. And checking the dash is no different.

-Crissa

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
I feel that there is an

What did the Trump campaign teach us about feelings? Oh yeah…… “f*** your feelings!” ?

srsly, I keep getting comments about the screen on my model 3 being a distraction, and it’s really not. See, you don’t actually ever NEED to look at it while driving. Maybe to check your speed which is easy. It’s not like an ICE car where you have instruments to monitor for engine health.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
srsly, I keep getting comments about the screen on my model 3 being a distraction, and it’s really not. See, you don’t actually ever NEED to look at it while driving.

Maybe to check your speed which is easy.
I have an excellent driving recording over 40 years. I attribute most of that to constantly paying attention. Besides not hitting sometime right in front of me I spend a lot of effort watching for surprises coming from the left and right.

Kids, animals, cars, etc. You have much less time to perceive & react to these intrusions than what is happening directly in front.

Paying this much attention makes driving a tiring activity.

On divided highway looking down and to the side (at screen) to check speed is not as risky because you have much fewer 90% angle direct side threats.

In city driving I need to check speed more often because there are more changes mandated by law (city street speed signs) at the same time that there are more entities and things that can jump out from the sides. Also navigation the roads/street, corners is much more complex than when on highway.

Speed indications and mapping turn arrows (not map itself) need to be in large/huge size font in driver console or a HUD.

For me, driving in city, having only a center console means I can not drive as safely as I have in the past because I have less focus on the sides. This is especially reduced on left side since Tesla console is on right.

There are many many drivers that do not find driving tiring. There are also still a huge number of accidents.
It could be those that are not getting tired are not paying as much attention as those who don't have accidents.

Last edited:

Ranulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor
Country flag
So I have an Ice car with super good mirrors (Ford dual mirror design that eliminates the blind spot)

I still look over my freaking shoulders when merging or planning to merge. There is one miracle spot where the mirrors don’t see the vehicle, especially if its a motorcycle (too far up) and my peripherals do not pick up on the vehicle (color, light quality, lack of engine noise, I wear glasses so my peripherals are naturally not as good.)The

Cybertruck might actually eliminate my need to look over my shoulder because its camera coverage will be far better than any mirror. But I will probably continue looking over my shoulders because thats how I have always driven.

AeroKnot

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Landcruiser
Country flag
That's not evidence.
That's an argument of authority. And I would find it also false.

You're changing your focus when checking mirrors or displays. Moving your head to check mirrors doesn't check your corners. And checking the dash is no different. -Crissa
I said " I feel.." to identify the part of my response as an opinion. And I also quoted my source regarding the angles of vision to back up scientific evidence that at the moment when you are looking down and to the right at even a M3 or MY speedometer, you can't physically see the car to the left that is about to broadside you through the intersection, or changing lanes into you on the highway. You didn't respond to that.

Your also are taking my mention of some professional credentials as an as " an argument of authority".."and I find it false". Huh? It's not about authority, we don't work together or even know each other. I'm just backing up my response by showing where I might be coming from with my life experience regarding driving machinery, and instrumentation.

Those are my legitimate credentials, there is nothing there that is false. I can show those credentials to anyone that needs to see them. The knowledge I have gained is real, and I try to back up my statements with facts.

I see that you have Mazda 3. Great cars. I would suggest that you look up a local Autocross club, join up and get some time solo behind the wheel, driving between nice soft rubber cones, and then maybe take it out on a track day for cars of that size and horspower. Oh yeah, and after you have done a few laps, tape over your speedo and tach display in front of you, and mount your cell phone in the center stack with a GPS speed showing for your "Tesla simulation"
Good question. How did it get to and from the site?
. Let me know how many cones you crush trying to brake on time in the corners. It'll be fun!