Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I think that you and I have dramatically different definitions of both ‘in’ and ‘tunnel’. I would say ‘outside’ and ‘fan’.

Ribbing aside, it is good news that they will be doing on site turbulence and smoothness testing at the factory.
Sponsored

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Yes. I thought the idea that cars were doing 90 mph down the production line and suggesting that they would be built in a vacuum was preposterous enough that nobody would think I was serious.
My apologies.

I gUeSs I'lL hAvE tO sTaRt UsiNg SaRcAsTic FoNt iNsTeAd.
This meme helps as well.
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Spotted in Wind Tunnel / Airflow Simulator at Giga Texas (4.12.23) 1681746922768

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
I wonder if this kind of test is good for a general overall real life drag coefficient.
Seems to me that the best way to measure drag is to measure the current draw in the inverter at different speeds. Rolling resistance would need to be subtracted.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Wind tunnel testing! :) edit: (at least that's what i think the white tunnel is)
You can call it a wind tunnel if you want to, but it is not technically a wind tunnel because it isn't isolated from exterior conditions. These are used to see how (for example) smoke flows over the exterior structure and would show imperfections in manufacturing.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Seems to me that the best way to measure drag is to measure the current draw in the inverter at different speeds. Rolling resistance would need to be subtracted.
I recall when they were using this for BAW and rain testing just a few months ago. This isn’t likely measuring drag, rather to see flow via water, or temp paint, or strings, or whatever. Was probably very effective at simulating a 75mph drive, with rain, and seeing if the BAW lifted or bound up and did it remove the water.

You can mist a model down with water and hit the fans and ”see” the airflow real-time. Let your car get a little dirty, let it drizzle or sprinkle just before or during your drive, and let the car dry on the freeway. You can see all the flow patterns in the dirt on your car. I love that.
Sponsored