CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I think A locking cabinet would be a little over the top in my opinion, although I could probably build a pretty decent looking one for under $100. If i felt the need to actually lock my charger so no one could use it, I would probably install something that is fixed to the cable near the end and have that on a simple but strong lock.

Like I've previously said, I don't really care about a few dollars and I would even help someone out if they needed a charge and politely asked me. But I do not want to find out that someone trespassed on my property, and sat outside of my house while they needed a charge. i'm fortunate enough that no one can see my garage or wall chargers from the road, but for a lot of people, it's like 10-20 meters from the sidewalk.

I'm not saying this will happen to everyone or it will happen a lot, but I'm sure some people will try charge on other peoples wall chargers. I've seen people do a lot to save a few dollars and It wouldn't surprise me if someone parked their car in someones driveway for most of the night just to charge up their car.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Having chargers available is pretty cool, too. Hopefully the new software in the next-gen Tesla destination chargers will make having an open charger easier.

If only more J-plugs were that way!

-Crissa

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I'm not sure what you mean by open charger, like a charger available to everyone? If that's what you mean, i definitely see that in the near future. My work has free level 2 chargers once you get past the gate and they plan to add more since they are pretty much always taken now. I can even charge up at my grocery store for free and at a community center that I sometimes volunteer at for only $1 per hour.

I've heard that when more and more people switch to EV's, gas stations will convert to EV charging stations but I somewhat disagree with that. To use a friends town as an example, they have about 50000 people and probably around 13-15 gas stations if I remembered them all. Realistically I could see one station near the highway converting to a supercharging station and maybe one on the other side of town also converting to a supercharging station. As for the rest of them, if they are immediately next to grocery stores, or a mall, I could see them maybe becoming a EV charging parking lot with level 2 charging and 1-2 level 3 chargers while other parking lots take longer to implement more EV charging spots.

It will be nice when more chargers are everywhere and we can charge casually throughout our day.

Doug McAllister

First Name
Douglas L McAllister
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
All the carā€™s Iā€™ve ever owned ( 85 ) go in my garage. Car first, whatever fits after is ok but not at my cars expense.
A 70,000 vehicle should never sit outside. I live in the desert which is just as hard on a vehicle as cold is. I donā€™t Klien wearing oven mitts to drive for the first 5 minutes.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
My truck has never once been in my garage, even when I work on it. I have however constructed a no wall carportlike structure with just a roof. That's really just to keep snow from burying it in the winter. Without direct sunlight, it wont get too hot.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I live in the desert which is just as hard on a vehicle as cold is. I donā€™t Klien wearing oven mitts to drive for the first 5 minutes.
That's what they made reflective covers or windshield shades for. The one place that reflective bubblewrap works perfectly is rolled out into a car window and you can manage a massive R value for that perfect situation.

-Crissa

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This forum acts like the Cybertruck is huge. To me it is certainly not small, but it is not that large either.

Really it is matter of perspective.

I have lived places that are so densely populated that even owning a car was a luxury and if you did own a car it was more convenient to drive something smaller than a midsize car.

I now live somewhere where It seems most women drive an Suv larger than the Cybertruck such as a Yukon XL. About the only one driving midsize or smaller cars are high school or college students.

So based on my experience the likey answer is what size do most of your neighbors drive. Most Americans buy the largest vehicles that they can conveniently park where they live, work and shop.

As far as the actual driving part of driving a truck after previously driving a car. The first day you will think you made a mistake. A couple days later you will be doing fine. A couple months later you will be backing into tight parking spots with ease when necessary.
Well the truck will anyway?

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
What kind of wimp parks a truck in a garage :^) Anyway, my garage has always been so full of tools I was lucky once to fit a motorcycle in there, but now I am lucky to have a couple bikes and a path to the house! None of our cars have been garaged in 30 years. The salt air kills them but such is life.
Well some of us "undesirables" live in the snow or rain belt and it sure is fine to drive up, punch that button, and shebang the wall moves up and we drive on in nice and dry. Mommy likes it too.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
I think A locking cabinet would be a little over the top in my opinion, although I could probably build a pretty decent looking one for under $100. If i felt the need to actually lock my charger so no one could use it, I would probably install something that is fixed to the cable near the end and have that on a simple but strong lock.

Like I've previously said, I don't really care about a few dollars and I would even help someone out if they needed a charge and politely asked me. But I do not want to find out that someone trespassed on my property, and sat outside of my house while they needed a charge. i'm fortunate enough that no one can see my garage or wall chargers from the road, but for a lot of people, it's like 10-20 meters from the sidewalk.

I'm not saying this will happen to everyone or it will happen a lot, but I'm sure some people will try charge on other peoples wall chargers. I've seen people do a lot to save a few dollars and It wouldn't surprise me if someone parked their car in someones driveway for most of the night just to charge up their car.
Like this?

https://insideevs.com/news/361845/tesla-owner-charges-steals-electricity/

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Well some of us "undesirables" live in the snow or rain belt and it sure is fine to drive up, punch that button, and shebang the wall moves up and we drive on in nice and dry. Mommy likes it too.
I've never had an issue with my truck being wet, it's just water. As for snow, while I have a carport to keep snow off my other cars to save time from wiping them off, the Cybertruck should be really easy to wipe off. The windshield and hood are at the same angle, as well as the roof and valut going the other way. Even freezing rain, which would be annoying to chip off all that glass, shouldn't be a problem if you just preheat your truck before you actually have to leave.

I would recommend to almost anyone living in areas that have real winters to consider getting a car port. I personally believe they are better than parking inside a garage because you get most of the same benefits and you don't take up tons of space in your garage. Also if someone has a small garage that the Cybertruck can barely fit in, do you really want to be squeezing in and out everytime you need to use the Cybertruck. The only reason I would prefer to park inside is if I lived in a really bad neighborhood and thought someone would try to damage it.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I meant no offense. I donā€™t live in the snow belt (anymore) but so close to the ocean that I hear seals barking all day long and fog horns at night. So ā€˜everythingā€™ that can rust does. I just have no choice with my car and driveway. Even if the garage was empty we couldnā€™t put 2 cars in it so my wifeā€™s M3 would get the garage and Iā€™d still be rusting. A carport wouldnā€™t help at all - salt air goes everywhere. Hence the stainless steel, Yay!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The best thing near the sea is a wall that catches the sea breeze. Park behind that.

Where I live carports get covered in branches and duff. Just more surface to clear off. When it's windy I resort to tarps.

-Crissa

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I keep a push broom near my parking spot in the winter to brush snow off my vehicle. I'm planning on keeping one in the "vault" in the winter time when I get my CT. I'm actually looking forward to pushing the snow off that awesome, flat angled vehicle. Especially if it doesn't have wipers. Or, my personal theory, the prototype does have wipers, but they are hidden under the hood. Wipers, rear view mirrors, door handles and luggage racks are the worst part of brushing snow off a vehicle (IMHO).

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
I meant no offense. I donā€™t live in the snow belt (anymore) but so close to the ocean that I hear seals barking all day long and fog horns at night. So ā€˜everythingā€™ that can rust does. I just have no choice with my car and driveway. Even if the garage was empty we couldnā€™t put 2 cars in it so my wifeā€™s M3 would get the garage and Iā€™d still be rusting. A carport wouldnā€™t help at all - salt air goes everywhere. Hence the stainless steel, Yay!
I hear you, corrosion never sleeps. Ah, the price we pay for living in paradise. I once ran into former "coast watchers" near St. Augustine, FL years ago that sold out and moved inland so their toaster would not rust before their very eyes. Some outside HVAC units are designed especially to survive a little longer in the marine environment like Jackson Brown once sang so they can stay running just a little bit longer.

No offense taken.

I am just lazy I guess and like pulling into the cave all nice and dry and if I forget to close the door the timer catches it in 5 minutes.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
I keep a push broom near my parking spot in the winter to brush snow off my vehicle. I'm planning on keeping one in the "vault" in the winter time when I get my CT. I'm actually looking forward to pushing the snow off that awesome, flat angled vehicle. Especially if it doesn't have wipers. Or, my personal theory, the prototype does have wipers, but they are hidden under the hood. Wipers, rear view mirrors, door handles and luggage racks are the worst part of brushing snow off a vehicle (IMHO).
Lived in Alaska years ago and it was the fun to pull out of the garage all dry and return later with provisions and unload the family unit and groceries in a dry non-windy space. Just saying.... maybe I am lazy.