Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Has anyone considered Tesla is posting the towing range with a fully loaded trailer ? Tesla rated the semi with a 80,000 load. Thoughts? Would that be a game changer?
I do not think they would get those ranges with a full load.

A semi is almost always pulling a load. Back in the 80s, maybe early 90s I would occassionally see an unburdened semi, but these days, with logistics software, semis spend very little time without a trailer these days. Given that, them giving the range of the Semi with the load seems very appropriate.

Now, I could see this range that Tesla gives is with a full bed load that the vault cover can still close on. That would be a 3,500lb bed load with the cover closed. If that is true, then it would be pretty awesome, but I am not holding my breath nor will I complain if the range given is just that, the range for the CyberTruck with a minimal amount of weight (driver).
Sponsored

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Has anyone considered Tesla is posting the towing range with a fully loaded trailer ? Tesla rated the semi with a 80,000 load. Thoughts? Would that be a game changer?
While I didn't connect it with the Semi, I thought along the same lines... Once they are certain they can tow that far with their Max load, I can just see Elon saying "It will have a range of 500 miles... loaded."

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Has anyone considered Tesla is posting the towing range with a fully loaded trailer ?
No, no chance of that. The 500 mi is the estimated EPA range. That doesn't include towing trailers. Compare to Model X range and battery size. Think about the implications of consumption 4 times that of the X with 500 mi range. You would have something like the Semi!!

Flad11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck someday
Country flag
Has anyone heard anything about the cybertruck having tow hooks to pull people out of snow banks or yank out bushes?

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I have not seen any such on the prototype nor renderings.

I have seen hitches that have a tow hook instead of a ball to be used in the receiver... And if there are custom bumpers, like with other popular off-road rigs, I would expect to see them there.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Has anyone heard anything about the cybertruck having tow hooks to pull people out of snow banks or yank out bushes?
I'd suggest a snowshovel or secatuers but if you are making a splatter movie or something like that I'm sure you could use the brackets to which the safety chains attach.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
WELL, they did show a video of the CT dragging a F150 uphill with a tow strap. At the reveal.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Even the Model Y has a tow hook... or eye as it is. I would think Tesla would include the same for pulling from the front. Pulling from the rear will be through the receiver hitch and pin.

ProfessorRon

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Kia Forte, 2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No, no chance of that. The 500 mi is the estimated EPA range. That doesn't include towing trailers. Compare to Model X range and battery size. Think about the implications of consumption 4 times that of the X with 500 mi range. You would have something like the Semi!!
Who said the EPA gave the range on these trucks? There is only one available right now so how could the EPA give the range on the other two models? When these Cybertrucks are finally released, they will use all new batteries.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Who said the EPA gave the range on these trucks?
Well it isn't the Department of Education.

There is only one available right now so how could the EPA give the range on the other two models? When these Cybertrucks are finally released, they will use all new batteries.
Don't be silly. As the post says the numbers are Tesla's best estimates of what the EPA ranges will be. This takes into account the technology they expect to be using in the car and the estimates are conservative enough to insure that they can actually achieve them.

Or, to look at it another way: they have said they will build a truck with 500 mile EPA range. They will build a truck with 500 mile EPA range.

Last edited:

CanEHdian

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trimotor Cybertruck Pre-order, 2003 Honda Odyssey, 93 Chevy Suburban 4x4
Occupation
Broadcast Tech
Country flag
Fair enough but I wish Tesla would create their own travel trailers complete with their own 1 or 2 hundred KWh battery packs.

I can understand about using what you already have, though.
IMHO Tesla probably does not want to get into the trailer business. Since most travel trailers use similar frame widths, it would be easier to take a Cybertruck motor and a suitable power pack and adapt it to fit under most of these trailer frames. You would only need a connection to the Cybertruck to control added power for drag and added regen braking. Can you imagine a trailer with a 2Kw house battery? You could boondock for a month or more. .

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
If we are going to have robotaxis available "by the end of next year at the latest" why not robotrailers? Load up the fridge, program it to go to the camp ground and send it on its way.

israndy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2012 Mitsubishi I-Miev, 2x 2007 Vectrix VX-1, 2000 Honda Insight, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired from IT
Country flag

Model X towing.
Or failing to:

I still think Elon MUST have a trick up his sleeve. With such a wide vehicle it may be that there is a charge port on both sides of the final vehicle (the 500 mile one anyway). This allows you to take TWO spaces at the supercharger and instead of charging for an hour and a half you charge for 40 minutes at a v3 Supercharger. At a v2 you would have to be sure to park between the A and B pedestals of two different numbered chargers to get the benefit. Probably why some of the Superchargers are set up 1A 2A 3A 4A 1B 2B 3B 4B instead of the more traditional way.

Of course, if you need that kind of speed you must be towing, so to not unhitch the trailer you will need one of those SUPER RARE pull-thru superchargers, like Modesto, CA. Perhaps there will be a way to use the Megachargers at truck stops for those that tow.
Sponsored