Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The spreadsheet can't be relied on 100%… but it seems a reasonable guide. Should be used as a guide.

The percentages of orders allocated to Tri. Duel and Single would be accurate. This would be a reliable starting point.

I guess, the further out you are, the more inaccurate it gets. But it might be 80% right.

Providing Tesla makes the more expensive versions first, we can obtain a reasonable timeframe.

It's either nothing or this.
Sponsored

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Personally, I wouldn’t trade away mechanical geared Sgl, Dual or Tri CT for direct-drive wheel motors if that is how Tesla competes with its Quad CT.

Right now, can’t think how a Quad CT could compete were Tesla to mount its rear motor assy in front with reverse helical gears. That would throw its weight balance off too much. Maybe Tesla has a whole clean slate solution other than wheel motors. Wait and see…

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Personally, I wouldn’t trade away mechanical geared Sgl, Dual or Tri CT for direct-drive wheel motors if that is how Tesla competes with its Quad CT.

Right now, can’t think how a Quad CT could compete were Tesla to mount its rear motor assy in front with reverse helical gears. That would throw its weight balance off too much. Maybe Tesla has a whole clean slate solution other than wheel motors. Wait and see…
Why would this throw the weight off? The dual-rear plaid configuration didn't throw it off, why would it throw it off if it was duplicated in the front?

-Crissa

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
The induction motor as currently configured for front AWD was single-sided motor and single geared differential. Staying with induction motor in the front, converting to dual motor, dual gear assembly is significantly adding weight, changing corner weights and biasing the vehicle balance point forward toward the front of the truck.

Is motor 40lbs+? IDK. Just guessing the total added mass to support AWD extra motor and gearing will be 2X weight the additional motor. It might be enough to require larger braking disc size for stopping or longevity. Little tweaks cascade interdependently. Bigger brakes demand bigger vacuum booster, etc…

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The entire twin motor assembly on a plaid weighs about 220kg. The motor assembly on a model 3 weighs... 208kg.

Is that significant weight?

-Crissa

Last edited:

Zapharus

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 '22, Element '11, DM Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
Just add 4 years to your preorder date. That’s going to be as accurate as any estimate.
Then in that case I’ll get mine November of 2023!! 🙌🏻😂😅🥹😜

Zapharus

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 '22, Element '11, DM Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
I’m not sure I’d call it a waste, but I don’t think it is valuable for projecting delivery dates at the moment.

That said. When deliveries do start, it should be a lot more useful. I know for example that @Crissa is about 18-20k ahead of me in the list. If they are going through the list mostly linearly, there is a good chance I’m about a month behind her. If you are #150,000 and someone in the 130 range gets tapped, you might think about making sure your financing is in order.
Has it been updated to put the high-end models ahead of single/dual motor models in terms of delivery timeframe?
Because if that Elon has stated previously the quad motor will launch before entry-level spec models.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Has it been updated to put the high-end models ahead of single/dual motor models in terms of delivery timeframe?
Because if that Elon has stated previously the quad motor will launch before entry-level spec models.
Elon said the quad-motor was first, yes. But he had previously said they'd prioritize the Tri-motor and the spreadsheet was still being maintained at the time.

And they've been prioritizing FSD and fluffed up orders the last year. Assumably they'll continue this. (This is different than the Model S/X/3 launches where only physical options bumped up delivery dates.)

-Crissa

Mrp911

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Expect higher value models to start out first and max revenue. Thought was the tri motors were first per Elon after they saw the high order loading so now will it be quads?. Don’t expect tri to continue. Personally I want AWD and high range but will take all the bells and whistles to not have to wait 10-12 months longer.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
In my eyes, things are too chaotic right now to make the spreadsheet super meaningful. We don’t even have a start date, and no idea of how quickly things are ramping up. We also don’t know if they are sending out emails to tri motor reservation holders first or just working their way through the list.

They might well deliver the quad first, but if they send out emails in order of RN, a lot of assumptions get tossed.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Expect higher value models to start out first and max revenue. Thought was the tri motors were first per Elon after they saw the high order loading so now will it be quads?. Don’t expect tri to continue. Personally I want AWD and high range but will take all the bells and whistles to not have to wait 10-12 months longer.
They just launched a new version of the Model Y in Austin which is less expensive than any shipping Model Y.

There are a lot of moving bits here. Tesla is going to start with whatever Cybertruck it makes sense to launch first. If battery supply is limited, it might be the low range trucks first.

It’s not as simple as “expensive vehicles go first”.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
… And apparently to add to the spreadsheet craziness, sounds like they might be quietly cancelling some or all overseas orders.

Hopefully our friends on this forum aren’t affected.

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
I guess we could put in orders for them? Gets a bit tricky if the import/export is in question...

tren01t

First Name
Lennert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla model 3, 2018 Honda Accord touring
Occupation
Chemist
Country flag
… And apparently to add to the spreadsheet craziness, sounds like they might be quietly cancelling some or all overseas orders.

Hopefully our friends on this forum aren’t affected.
I always thought the orders outside of the US were a pipedream due to the safety requirements and roads being narrower in these areas that the current prototype would not be amendable to. Point well taken
Sponsored