Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt
Occupation
VP of Operations
Country flag
Dual motor made the top 10, so I’m still feeling good. Of course, this is all entirely dependent on getting the actual miles claimed in the Cyber Truck debut.

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime, Nissan Leaf, Tri Motor Cyber Truck
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
That was a very interesting video. I am glad that I decided to go with the tri motor variant of the Cyber Truck.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
It has nothing to do with TCO/Total Cost of Ownership. It's only all about range. I have a mother -in law that would be fine with a car that only has 60 miles of range. She NEVER drives the freeway and the most shes driven in a day, in over 3 years is 30 miles. So if you aren't ever gonna need 500 miles of range, does it make cents to pay for more range?

SONNYDUT

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX470, 3x Audi A3, Honda Van, Model S, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
CAD Designer
Country flag
The long range is not for everyone but for me I preferred. I would use my CT as an expedition/adventure vehicle. I will add a custom extended camper to match the design and massive 1200 watts solar charger. It's going to be great!

SONNYDUT

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX470, 3x Audi A3, Honda Van, Model S, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
CAD Designer
Country flag
Here is my thought. The tri-motor CT got $139/mile/lifetime usage of 500,000 miles = .000278 cent. That is a bargain.

I estimated the CT will have a 180 kWh battery. 3 miles per kWh. CT will have about 540 (or more) miles range.

Last edited:

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
It's kind of a nonsense metric because we don't know that actual efficiency yet. That's where the real cost per mile will be determined.

Based on a model X for comparison it would cost me about 0.08¢ per mile to drive compared to my work truck's 0.24¢ per mile. On paper that looks great, but on my spreadsheet it still doesn't justify the front end cost because it's not able to carry large things in the bed like my CT will.

Neat video, but it's not really that informative.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
This is not a cost per mile calculation this is a cost per kWh storage calculation.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Battery size correlates with range. These trucks are going to use about half a kWh to go a mile. 100 kWh battery --> 200 mile range. 250 kWh battery --> 500 mile range. Nominally. But range can vary dramatically depending on whether, for example, you tow or use the truck to haul rocks up the hill from the quarry to the job site or down the hill from the quarry to the jobsite so indeed $ per kWh might be a more meaningful metric. Supposing the Trimotor to have a 225 kWh battery and cost $69,000 that would come down to $307 per kWh which is pretty interesting as it was not so long ago that (2016-2017) that the batteries alone were selling at that level. Clearly you will be getting a better deal with the larger battery options as the TriMotor will have more than twice the battery of the entry model but is expected to sell for less than twice the price.

It is certainly naive to talk about the ratio of range to price as the sole measure of the value of the truck unless range anxiety is at the top of your list. And I understand that it well may be. We've all been there. After operating a Tesla for a while you will, in most cases, forget what that is.